WnSoft Forums

Recovering Images in PtoE program

Ed Vaughn

My assistant deleted image files from one of our portrait sessions before making a backup CD. I do have no-expiration PtoE show but do not know how or if it is possible to have images printed from PtoE files. The do not print feature was enabled on the shows.

Am I dead in the water or is there hope?

TYI,

Ed :(

:o Granot:

Once again your genius amazes me. Your program works great but stops each time at 50 images. I have over 100 images I need to recover and cannot start the capture halfway through--or at least I don't know how.

Any suggestions? Figure this one out and "contribution" will be on the way to you once I know how to send it.

Much thanks,

Ed :blink:

Ed,

There is no limitation on numbers of captures.

There are only two things you have to do:

1) Check how long time between each slide so you can write the pause

time between captures.

2) See that your show is on top the utility so it will not be captures too.

Please try again.

Please let me know.

While checking the utility I added few functions:

Now you can tell it how many times you want to screen capture.

Now the utility will disapear while working and come back when finished.

You get a Finished message.

If you are not sure for how many times to capture - give bigger number.

You can stop it in the middle by click on "Home" keyboard key.

(this last feature I forgot to test so please let me knoe if any problem).

I will work on new version with more features like run a slideshow from images captures and maybe restore a pte project (only images).

Granot

Granot -

I tried Restore PTE utility. I can tell it works. But I don't understand how to use it.

I ran it first, just as it came "out of the box." I did not set any parameters or anything. It restored a .pte file for my Sunset Peak show and opened PTE 4.12 with that (Sunset Peak) project named as "Restored".

I don't know why it came up with that. How am I supposed to use Restore PTE to reclaim a project file for, say, "Lost Pix.exe" ?

Ha !

Open the utility then open your exe show which all its images were lost :( Now let the show run. Each time when the slide changes click on "Save Slide". When show finish, click on "Restore". Now you will have your pte file with all images.

Genius or Brilliant ? ;)

• 3 months later...
Oops! Forgot to say that RestorePTE works very well, and is a wonderful software!

Guido, can you or anyone, tell me how to use Granot's Restore PTE? Every screen capture I do with the program includes the Restore program clickbox as part of the captured photo. I am using XP Home - if that may matter.

Bob, I downloaded now RestorePTE v3.00, but something seems not to work so well (the earlier one, on the contrary, works better). Anyhow, you can restore perfectly all pictures, saved as "cap1", "cap2", "cap3" etc.

I just wrote to Granot to ask for his help.

Is Granot maybe still off being restored himself?

Anyway, I can get the "cap1" etc. files, but they all have the click-box showing on top of the picture. Is there a hot-key or something that you use so the Restore program (click-box_ is not on top of the slides? Or does the program not work with full screen PTE shows?

Im not sure what version I have on hand of Boxig's PTE Restore Utility.

But it does work easily and does not show the "click-box on top of the slides". It captures Full Sceen only. (Capturing Windowed Shows smaller than the Desktop screensize will capture the remaining Destop view also ... but the PTE Restore is still not captured in the view)

It has 3 buttons

-Save Slide

-Restore

-? (About)

It does not have any current version on the program as I can find. But the zip was downloaded in mid OCT 2003 and the exe is dated OCT 10 2003. Zip is 714kb and exe 723kb.

Yes, Boxig is still in Thailand. He answered me, and cannot help us from there... He says he will come back in about three weeks.

What is very strange is this click-box appearing in captured pictures. I tried yesterday with both first version and v3.0 of RestorePTE, and I have no boxes even with full screen shows. What is the version you use?

Thanks Guido

This version 3 is different than my current on hand version.

Version 3 has more buttons and supports creating htm links.

It captures correctly ... but this version saves the captured images into a separate folder now. The created .pte is outside of folder and cannot find the images. So either the .pte file needs to placed into the folder or the images need to move out to the .pte file to find them properly.

Still ... it does not capture the "click box" in the screen as Robert seems to get.

Thank you for your help. I have now tried three versions of Boxig's RestorePTE. I have now focused on working with the one Guido describes as 714KB zip. (My dl, from long ago, appears as 715Kb. zip. The actual application .exe is 724kb)

I came to several conclusions - each of which had to be revised as I experimented further. :) It seems that there are some path issues that can effect not only finding the captures but also maybe the click box showing on the capture. It seemed that running the Restore program from the desktop could complicate things. Then when I was able to get captures without the clickbox showing, I would end up with the taskbar being in every captured file! With Restore and the subject PTE show running, I could clear the taskbar, but each time I clicked to capture, it would bring the task bar back in view. I did solve this by changing how XP handles taskbar.

As I said, what I thought were conclusions turned out to be not conclusive. As it stands now, with all my "understanding" applied -

I just ran a PTE show and captured 7 slides. When I look at the captured jpg's, some are fine, others have the clickbox showing! (In this show, all original files were unusually large for PTE, about 1600Kb. But I have not found a meaningful difference in Restore PTE based on file size.)

I am wondering if it is actually a timing issue - That the time it takes the clickbox to get out of the way vs. the slide display time and when the click button is clicked, cpu speed, etc.?

I did find an alternative use for Granot's work - It resized the 1600kb files to about 160 -250 kb. :)

Any further thoughts?

Well... You can use the "Capture" function of Irfanview, that works from the keyboard (Ctrl + F11 or what you want to set). This way you'll have neither the click box nor the taskbar in your captured pictures.

Robert

I could clear the taskbar, but each time I clicked to capture, it would bring the task bar back in view

I think the taskbar showing on XP is related to MMB mouse event up/down thing (click actions). I recall such cases in some of my MMb projects used on XP. I dont recall if its just on Pro or Home version ... or both. XP seems to handle its desktop/taskbar a bit different than other OS. I believe using a Keyboard Hotkey resolve this for me, but I dont have enough test/access to XP OS to know for sure.

I think also Granot's program can be used to combine segments from several PTE shows very easily - if someone has a need to do such

Boxig has a Combine PTE utility also. It not made to caputure ... but will combine 2 diff existing .pte files. :P

*You may wonder why I still use "Boxig" instead of Granot. Boxig was his first PTE username ... plus I remember the story of how he arrived with selecting that name. So with me ... its Boxig most times :)