WnSoft Forums

EXIF data for PTE 5.0

irishcon1

I was thrilled to learn that 5.0 included the ability to add EXIF captions to slides because I want to show digital camera settings such as ISO, aperture, shutter speed, white balance and focal length. Now that I've installed it I can't get that data to show on the slides. When I select "JPEG EXIF Description" under the Options-Comments menu I get nothing. My images do include the EXIF data when using imaging software.

What am I doing wrong?

You probably are doing everything correctly, but it's a bit convoluted. The program "reads" comments which have been placed in the EXIF file but doesn't have a provision for writing "to" the EXIF. Other programs such as IrfanView, PowerExif, PixVue, etc., can write to the EXIF and let you put in comments but it's still not as straight-forward as one would like.

The problem seems to be that the data you enter via these different programs apparently doesn't reside in the same location to be called with the same general retrieval call. I have put comments in via IrfanView and can read them with IrfanView but when I open the same file in PowerExif or PixVue I can't find these comments anywhere. I can enter comments via PixVue or PowerExif and read them but then can't find them in IrfanView. I have yet to be able to retrieve them via the PicturesToExe feature but I"m quite certain it's not PicturesToExe which is causing the problem, just that where PTE is "looking" for these comments is not where they are actually being stored by these various programs. To complicate things further there are EXIF comments (which I assume is where PTE is looking) and there are IPTC metadata files which can also have "comments".

I'm working right now on experimentation to see if I can put different comments in different places and perhaps find where the proper place and with which "tool" they can most easily be placed and then retrieved. In the next version of PTE (5.1) I believe Igor will perhaps add the ability to retrieve more EXIF data. Right now it's quite limited and I'm certain part of the difficulty is because of this "apparent" non-standard among different programs for data which "should" be standardized.

The bottom line is that right now neither Comments nor Description are working in PTE but Date and Time are .... Other EXIF information is not yet implemented. I've discussed this with Igor and he will be looking into perhaps a complete EXIF retrieval or at least the commonly used EXIF inforation for the next PTE version.

Perhaps it's of limited use to you right now, but it is possible to export the EXIF data as text by using PowerExif, etc., then import the text file via PTE in the comments field where you see "load". This way you "can" display the exif information, but it's a bit obtuse to have to export it for each image then import it as a text file for each image.

Lin

I was thrilled to learn that 5.0 included the ability to add EXIF captions to slides because I want to show digital camera settings such as ISO, aperture, shutter speed, white balance and focal length. Now that I've installed it I can't get that data to show on the slides. When I select "JPEG EXIF Description" under the Options-Comments menu I get nothing. My images do include the EXIF data when using imaging software.

What am I doing wrong?