WnSoft Forums

Slow and Jerky Slide Show

aviejacobs

Here is my problem - I produced a slide show of about 285 slides - each is about 100k in size. I have 3 music files totaling about 13-14 minutes

When I create the exe using full screen mode - it runs with the transitions very slow

When I create it using windowing mode -it runs perfectly.

Any explanations/solutions?

Avie

Avie,

Please give us some information on the resolution of your images, on the screen settings in PTE, and on your PC (e.g. CPU, RAM, Graphics card, operating system, version of DirectX). Do you use old drivers for your graphics card?

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Avie,

Please give us some information on the resolution of your images, on the screen settings in PTE, and on your PC (e.g. CPU, RAM, Graphics card, operating system, version of DirectX). Do you use old drivers for your graphics card?

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Images are 1000x667

cpu = celeron 2.8Ghz (about 2 years old)

ram= 1G

graphic card - on board graphic card

os = xp pro xp2

drivers are up to date

Which screen settings in PTE do you want?

Images are 1000x667

cpu = celeron 2.8Ghz (about 2 years old)

ram= 1G

graphic card - on board graphic card

os = xp pro xp2

drivers are up to date

Which screen settings in PTE do you want?

I asked for the settings in PTE > Project Options > Screen. But, reading that you do not have a separate graphics card, I fear that your PC isn't that well suited for running animated slide shows in D3D fullscreen mode. The system requirements propose a video card with (at least) 128 MB of video memory. Can you make an upgrade?

Best regards,

Xaver

Avie,

Following on from Xavers reply I have done some calculations,viz:-

You wrote:- You have 285 Slides running against 14 minutes of Music which is 840 seconds.

If this is correct?...and you allow 1.5 secs for each Effect thats 285 secs out of 840 secs

which is = 413 secs for all the Slides, which is approx 1.5 secs per Slide.....

Are you absolutely sure of the details in your Post ???...if so, yes it will run in Windowed-Mode but it

certainly will not run in Full-Screen ~ because even with 1.Gb of installed Memory you will only have

access to 600.Kb of that when you allow for all the other "running processe's" on the PC. Even at that

I doubt very much if your single Celeron 2.8 Gb Processor could keep up with that process demand

with that limited memory availability.

Could you please verify your details again, perhaps you have made a simple error somewhere ?

Brian.Conflow.

I did give you accurate info

Here is the reason for the post:

I usually produce slide shows which are about 120-150 slides

I usually provide enough music so that each slide has about 3.5 - 4 seconds including the time for the effect

This is my first slide show that had 285 slides.

I didn't want to make the show close to a half hour to prevent boredom so I ended up with your 1.5 second caluclation

This is my first show with version 5.6 although I have been using the product since version 3.75 or thereabouts

Since my slide shows are given to other people who rarely are up to date on computer technology,

my question was - am I doing something wrong - perhaps have a setting wrong - or have I come up to the limitations of the hardware.

Your response seems to tell me that I have hit the hardware limit.

I have no problem upgrading my computer but that will just cause me to produce more slide shows that will not work properly on other people's machines

One more question then - are there specific effects that are cpu intensive that if I refrain from using them will alllow it to run on these less powerful machines?

Thank you again for all your help

Avie

Avie,

Following on from Xavers reply I have done some calculations,viz:-

You wrote:- You have 285 Slides running against 14 minutes of Music which is 840 seconds.

If this is correct?...and you allow 1.5 secs for each Effect thats 285 secs out of 840 secs

which is = 413 secs for all the Slides, which is approx 1.5 secs per Slide.....

Are you absolutely sure of the details in your Post ???...if so, yes it will run in Windowed-Mode but it

certainly will not run in Full-Screen ~ because even with 1.Gb of installed Memory you will only have

access to 600.Kb of that when you allow for all the other "running processe's" on the PC. Even at that

I doubt very much if your single Celeron 2.8 Gb Processor could keep up with that process demand

with that limited memory availability.

Could you please verify your details again, perhaps you have made a simple error somewhere ?

Brian.Conflow.

What is your screen's NATIVE (MAXIMUM) resolution?

Is your screen running at its NATIVE (MAXIMUM) resolution?

If not - what? (It SHOULD be set at its NATIVE (MAXIMUM) resolution.

What was/is the resolution of the WINDOW which you say runs smoothly?

Create another project with the same images and NO PZR effects and then - do you get smooth transitions in Full-Screen Mode?

DaveG

I don't have the screen in front of me now but it is a 22" widescreen - it is running at native res

What are PZR effects?

Is your screen running at its NATIVE (MAXIMUM) resolution?

If not - what? (It SHOULD be set at its NATIVE (MAXIMUM) resolution.

Create another project with the same images and NO PZR effects and then - do you get smooth transitions in Full-Screen Mode?

DaveG

DaveG

Avie,

Thanks for that confirmation and I was aware you were using Full-Screen mode which gave you problems

and then you used Windowed-mode which worked O.K. I had assumed you were not using PZR effects so

it was a standard Show although it's outside the normal Slide-Timing bracket of 4~5.secs per Slide and

some 1.0~1.5.secs per Effect.

May I ask what Operating-System are you using, is it XP or Vista ? and what Anti-Virus are you using ?

and yes there are things you can do to improve the situation ~ but its a little too soon to advise on those.

Brian.Conflow.

xp pro service pack 2

avg

Avie,

Thanks for that confirmation and I was aware you were using Full-Screen mode which gave you problems

and then you used Windowed-mode which worked O.K. I had assumed you were not using PZR effects so

it was a standard Show although it's outside the normal Slide-Timing bracket of 4~5.secs per Slide and

some 1.0~1.5.secs per Effect.

May I ask what Operating-System are you using, is it XP or Vista ? and what Anti-Virus are you using ?

and yes there are things you can do to improve the situation ~ but its a little too soon to advise on those.

Brian.Conflow.

Avie,

XP.Pro with Sp2 ~ I need you to check your Memory Usage with and without the Show running

because XP-Pro consumes the guts of 475.Mb before you do anything else with it. (XP-Home uses 350)

Have a look at the 'attachment' below before you proceed with the 2 Tests I am requesting.

1)

Without any Show running and you are looking at your Desktop ~ RH.Click in any free space in your

'Taskbar' on the very bottom of this Page. When the little Window opens up--->select--->Task Manager.

When 'Task-Manager' opens--->select the Tab marked 'Performance' and write down the numbers as

shown in the sample 'attachment' below.

2)

I hope you can do this--->Open up your PTE Program with the 285 Slides--->select--->Preview and let

the Show run on. While the Show is running reselect the 'Task-Manager'-->Performance Tab and observe

the changing numbers as shown previously in the 'attachment' example. Note down these numbers.

If everything runs O.K you will have a set of Memory figures before and when running your Show.

These will tell you whats going on and if indeed you have a Memory problem ~ if not at least thats

out of the way and other approaches to the problem can be made with confidence.

(You can save this Page by going to 'File' in top left corner and select 'Save-As' or select Print)

Please get back to us on the Forum and let's know your findings.

Brian.Conflow.

Postscript:- You will need to run the Show in Windowed-mode to do these Tests.

21-3-09

post-1416-1237585879_thumb.png

Avie,

I've come to this thread rather late, so I'll not offer any advice at this stage. As DaveG said above, you're in good hands (Brian's) now. I'll continue to monitor this thread so, Brian, if you want to draw on my knowledge and experience of PTE v5.6, just post and I'll spot it and respond.

Good luck to you both with the problem diagnosis.

regards,

Peter

Peter and Dave,

Thanks for that offer concerning Pte 5.56 and I shall pass Avie over to you if this is the case.

However Avie is using an 'Intel Celeron Processor' which is an entry-level product based on

the more powerful 'Intel Pentium III or IV Series' ~ the Celeron (depending on version) was

never designed for Video-Graphics such as Avie is trying to run with this particular Slideshow.

It's quite good with 'Business-Applications' such as Documents, Spreadsheets, Excel and such

like and it will handle basic Video functions and simple Slideshows - but thats it. Thats the reason

I asked for a 'Dynamic Memory-Test' so I could look at the uP's performance and then advise on

how to improve the situation. The Celeron-uP has a proven track record with such problems so

there is not much point chasing the higher functions of Pte (which are not used) nor going after

Screen-settings etc,etc; until we know how the uP is performing.

Should Avie get back to us, then we can proceed a little further into this particular problem.

Brian.

Brian,

I'm surprised you're sober enough to be posting at this hour. I thought you'd be celebrating the Grand Slam! (I can understand DaveG being "off air" he's probably drowning his sorrows. So near and yet so far, eh, Dave?)

regards,

Peter

Peter,

I don't believe it myself ~ some achievement after +40 years trying to win.It certainly was a close call at 17-15

and you are right, Dublin has erupted. Unfortunately on Saturday nights I'm afraid its gone like most of the U.K

Towns with 'hooligans' creating trouble for ordinary Dubliners who would dearly wish to celebrate this Win.

I do know for certain that our contingent in Cardiff will join in with the Welsh and have a damn fine Party just as

the Welsh lads do when they visit here. I wish them well ~

Brian.