WnSoft Forums

Executable file

nelson

A recent show that I put together has been played from the executable file dozens of times.

The other day about 15 minutes into the 26 minute presentation the sound seemed to stall for about 3 seconds and remain out of synch till the end of the presentation.

I have not replayed it to find out if it will do the same thing at the same point but was curious if anyone has encountered this.

The presentation was presented on a dual core processor. Someone suggested to me that this may have been the reason. The logic was that the sound was on the other core at this time?

I do not understand this stuff but he said it may be the way the code was written?

The sound file has been left in the wave format and not converted to mp3 as I am using a newer pc with lots of ram and processing speed.

Any thoughts most welcomed as I would hate to be in the middle of a presentation that is important and have this error.

Kieron

A recent show that I put together has been played from the executable file dozens of times.

The other day about 15 minutes into the 26 minute presentation the sound seemed to stall for about 3 seconds and remain out of synch till the end of the presentation.

I have not replayed it to find out if it will do the same thing at the same point but was curious if anyone has encountered this.

The presentation was presented on a dual core processor. Someone suggested to me that this may have been the reason. The logic was that the sound was on the other core at this time?

I do not understand this stuff but he said it may be the way the code was written?

The sound file has been left in the wave format and not converted to mp3 as I am using a newer pc with lots of ram and processing speed.

Any thoughts most welcomed as I would hate to be in the middle of a presentation that is important and have this error.

Kieron

The first thing to do is to replay it a few times to ascertain if it is a 'hard' fault, i.e. repeatable. You should make a practice of disabling any background programs like anti-virus/malware, ZoneAlarm, etc so the maximum time is available fom the cpu. If a background program springs into life at the wrong moment it can well disrupt a show. The same goes if you're burning a CD or DVD as well.

Duo-core cpu's are very commonly used in modern computers including laptops, and won't be your problem. My own Dell laptop has a 1.8GHz duo core and runs shows flawlessly. Having said that, PTE makes extensive use of the graphics processor, as do a lot of newer graphics-intensive programs, and a good gpu is required. Can you tell us what gpu your machine uses? Although the gpu doesn't handle the sound, it's possible that if it's a bit slow it could interrupt the sound channel. If you are using stereo sound from the line out port, try a usb sound adapter, they're very cheap and they produce better sound than the on-board sound chips, unless of course you have a desktop with a high-end sound card.

Your queries about duo-core cpu's or sound being on one core and video on the other, or the problem being with the way the program was written are, frankly, nonsense. PTE runs flawlessly on any good computer. There can be issues with marginal computers driving a data projector, but since you don't mention a projector, I presume that's not your problem.

Finally, what was the source of the program - hard drive, memory stick, CD? If in doubt, always run a PTE program from the HDD.

Let's know how you get on,

Colin