WnSoft Forums

PTE and Windows 7

Carol Steele

I am using Windows 7 (x64) and PTE and for some reason there is a very slow (read excruciatingly slow) start up when clicking an exe file produced with PTE. Double clicking on the same file on a Vista machine results in virtual instant start up, indicating that it is something in Windows 7 which is causing this.

Timings are:-

From double clicking on the file

10 seconds for the screen to turn black and a further

15 seconds for the 1st image to appear.

In Vista double clicking on the file results in the first image showing immediately (less than 1 sec)

The exe file is an intro image which contains links to the other slideshows and is a mere 963Kb in size.

I have tried running in Win XP and Vista compatibility modes and also running in administrator mode - all to no avail.

Just a forewarning to Igor as when Windows 7 is released (in October) this will become a serious issue.

Hi Carol,

I've been using Windows 7 RC (32 bit) for a few weeks now, and my exe's are not delayed in starting... As Peter mentioned, could it be your AV scanning? I use Avira... Wonder if there is any difference between Win 7-32 and Win 7-64?

Dick

Carol,

We have tested PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.6 (and 5.7 Beta) on Windows 7 (Release Candidate, build 7100) and didn't experience same issue

Probably the problem comes from an antivirus which you might use? Please let us now the name of this antivirus software. I'll try to reproduce this problem under my PC.

Carol,

We have tested PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.6 (and 5.7 Beta) on Windows 7 (Release Candidate, build 7100) and didn't experience same issue

Probably the problem comes from an antivirus which you might use? Please let us now the name of this antivirus software. I'll try to reproduce this problem under my PC.

Hi Igor,

Thanks for coming back to me on this.

I am using AVG Free (version 8.5) on both machines (a Win7 x64 machine and a Vista x32 machine) - the Win 7 system should be much faster as it is a newly built Intel i7 system. I will disable the AV software and see if this is the cause and will report back.

OK, thanks to everybody - it does appear to be a problem caused by running with the AVG anti-virus program. Temporarily turning it off resulted in start times as fast as with my Vista machine. Hopefully AVG will introduce an update to solve this, in the meantime I will look at alternative AV packages.

I prefer to have the resident shield active so that anything which comes into the system is automatically scanned before you touch it. It was the Resident Shield which was causing the problems.

I'm testing Avira at the moment (and this doesn't introduce the long delay before the slide appears) and I will try Avast soon and see which one I prefer.