WnSoft Forums

New Monitor and Computer

trailertrash

I had to get a new computer and monitor...the perils of having grandchildren..." Grandad, we dont get to use dad's computer " [sigh]

Sooooo.... I got a new monitor as well, a 23" widescreen. Everything now looks so different.

What size should/would be best for this monitor [1920 x 1080]

Any advice would be most welcome.

Andrew.

Here's my dilema,

The old monitor let me use BG's etc and resize them to cover the white/black of the default without showing any border round the slide.

I've tried to do this again with the new monitor and lo and behold there is a border round the slide no matter what I do.

I have my slides resized to 1400 x 933 and I just cant get rid of the black or white bands round the slides.

Is this a consequence of Widescreen monitors or have I new methods to learn now?

Andrew.

Here's my dilema,

The old monitor let me use BG's etc and resize them to cover the white/black of the default without showing any border round the slide.

I've tried to do this again with the new monitor and lo and behold there is a border round the slide no matter what I do.

I have my slides resized to 1400 x 933 and I just cant get rid of the black or white bands round the slides.

Is this a consequence of Widescreen monitors or have I new methods to learn now?

Andrew.

Under normal conditions, I set my monitors to run at thier optimum resolution (largest) in my case that is 1680 x 1050) and then size my images to the same.

Then in PTE Project option, in the Screen Tab, set the 'Virtual size of slide' to the same size as the image you are displaying, i.e. 1680 x 1050

Ron

Ron and Ken,

Thanks for the info. This really has me scratching my head. Well I would if I had any hair left :lol:

I have discovered that 16:9 is now the ratio that gives me the function to fill the screen with a BG image, so thats fine.

If I follow you Ron, I resize my slides to 1400x933 if thats the size I want [its the native size of our clubs projector]

and check the virtual size of slide box, having entered that size as the value. Have I understood you correctly?

Andrew.

save originals as is into another folder then copy and paste the contents into another folder and then if you have the monitor at [1920 x 1080] save some at [1920 x 1080] 100% quality and make a small show -- dont worry about tunes at this point - run the show and see how it looks

ken

OK, I'm beginning to get the measure of this. There is one thing I dont get tho.

Photoshop will only resize to 1920 x 1280 which is still above the monitor resolution, at 1920 x 1080.

I think I'm going to have to accept this size as the standard for my monitor and make any adjustment in O&A using the grid. I havent tried full screen yet, so I dont know what the loss around the edges would be.

Andrew.

...............Photoshop will only resize to 1920 x 1280 which is still above the monitor resolution, at 1920 x 1080.

That is probably due to the fact the original images are probably 3:2 ratio and not 16:9. To get to 1920 x1080 you are going to have to crop a portion from the top and bottom as well. To do this simply create a new action and use the crop tool set at 1920 x1080 px and 72 ppi. Run this action over the folder of images once you have created it.

... simply create a new action and use the crop tool set at 1920 x1080 px and 72 ppi. Run this action over the folder of images once you have created it.

If the images have been composed with respect to the original aspect ratio, it will be hard to change the ratio at all. Even in the case where this is possible, I don't think that an automated use of the crop tool will be very helpful. The position of the cropped area (top, middle, bottom, ...) typically will vary from image to image. Additional remark: The parameter of 72 ppi (or dpi) does not have any relevance on the presentation of the images on a monitor or a projector.

Regards,

Xaver