WnSoft Forums

Scrolling Panoramas for the Challenged Video Card

... so really not all that important to attend ...

... perhaps the best contribution in this thread. I have heavy doubts that this "new" method will deliver an advantage in performance. Furthermore it is not very nice to handle if the pano pan should run with a prescribed aspect ratio. Maybe a contribution to the silly season :)

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Xaver,

It's not a "new" method - it was used long ago with early versions (3.xx I believe) before we had PZR to view panos. At that time there was a brief period of interest and a few examples worked pretty well.

There is an advantage for systems which can't easily handle pans with extremely large panoramas because of very "jerky" motion. By slicing the original into individual files which each then fit into a single frame without the necessity of panning, the jerky motion is resolved and the "push" transition replaces the need for creating multiple frames (between keypoints) thereby elimination the "video" aspect.

In the sample I presented I didn't downsample the files because it was only a test of the principles. For a GPU challenged computer I would have downsampled each of the 10 frames to 1024 by 708 pixels. This would drop the file size considerably and the older PTE "engine" would suffice without PZR being enabled. This would indeed allow a "performance" advantage for such a system as the one Patrick has been using in the past (perhaps still).

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

I have a flat screen 17" monitor from Dell set at 1280 x 1024 on Radeon x600 256 Hypermemory Graphics card. The PC is a Dell Dimension 9150 with 2meg memory and Intel Dual Core processor. I get full screen display with no flicker and no vertical lines. It is not possible to see when the slides change. I'm very impressed. Will try the system with some of my own panoramas.

Alan