WnSoft Forums

file size

Diana

I am new to this and have searched the help menu; I am trying to create a slide show for prospective clients that will run on any equipment. What size should be the max show and what size should be the each jpeg. I am producing a show with music of about 36 jpegs. Tahnk you for this basic info. Diana :)

welcome Diana

see the faq file that comes with the program

Frequently Asked Questions about PicturesToExe

Last update: January 1, 2002

Question:

How many pictures can I include to my presentation?

Answer:

Up to 32000 pictures (unregistered version is limited to 10 pictures).

ken

Welcome Diana,

As Ken has quoted to you from PTE FAQs ... their is a 32000 picture limit and a max overall file size of "The resulting EXE file cannot be larger than 2100 Mb"

The real limitation here if using these maximum limits to make your show is the Clients patience/endurance to review such a huge show. With that aside ... the real limitations are the Clients PC capabilities.

I am trying to create a slide show for prospective clients that will run on any equipment.

By your comment do I also assume you want to distribute and play it from a CD ? By using this CD medium you also set more limitations that directly effects how your show will perform on another Clients PC .

Basic Run Requirements I follow :

800 x 600 Screen Size

JPG : (100 -150 kb Size)

MP3 Music( No WMA music)

Reasonable Tranisition Timing - (or set to no Transistion effect ... use no demanding Fades - these can be CPU intensive)

No Demanding Slide Timing (Nothing too fast )

I use a old test Pc to perform my tests. Using these settings from a CD Disc on a P2/233/66h w/96 memory and (4X CDrom/2MB VideoCard) I recieve no issues from my Clients.

These are pretty much BASIC for all PCs Ive encountered.

Most likely if you did a search of SHOW PROBLEMS or something similar in context ... you will find out lots of what not to do ... and how to resolve it.

Diana,

If I may just add to Ken's and Stu's good advice, make sure you instruct your clients to exit from all running applications, before running your show, in order to clear memory and processor time for use by PTE, especially if they are using non-P4 type equipment and/or have limited RAM, video card, and hard-drive resources.

If you use a short introductory show to access the main show(s), you can put these instructions on the first slide.

There are so many permutations and combinations of user equipment out there, as well as different levels of user pc knowledge, that you should not be surprised if some of your clients come back with complaints about problems in running your shows, no matter how many precautions you take. B)

Thank you for all your help; I have found when I resize my images to 72 dpi and about 3x3" in size they look awful. The bigger files about 150k and up look a lot better. I am resizing in Photoshop. We are wedding photographers so it must look good. Max # of images I will use about 36. I found that they are pretty tiny on the screen. Should I instruct the user to reset their screen to a lower res? The total show is about 80MG

Diana,

Being a wedding photographer you are probably most familiar with print considerations in digital technology as suggested by your remarks:

"when I resize my images to 72 dpi and about 3x3" in size they look awful" .

However, dpi has no bearing on image quality on the screen, such as in a PTE slide show. These are just settings in the event that one wishes to print out the image.

The first parameter you need to consider is pixel dimensions. It has been found that the maximum dimensions for photos which can still be viewed on most monitors and older pc setups is approx. 800 x 600. You can use 1024 x 760 pixels, but you run the risk of some older and slower pc's not being able to handle them suitably.

The only other really important consideration is the quality of compression to jpeg's. This also has a bearing on file size, but like everything else, there is a price to pay in image quality by compressing too much. So, most users have found a happy medium of around a 50% compression factor.

These parameters are important if one is to achieve a smooth transition between images. If this is not important, or if you use transitions which are very long (say 5 to 10 seconds long), then you can tolerate larger and hence higher-quality images. Maybe for wedding photographs, these slow transitions would not be so bad, accompanied by some really slow, moody music.

You really have to experiment quite a bit before you find a compromise which suits your purposes.

Hope this helps some! :)

Thank you all for the quick response, the light is slowly going on :o This CD slide show I am trying to produce is for prospective clients. So it will be short and snappy. As I am mindful of copyrights, does anyone know of a good royalty free music source suitable for wedding work.

Thank you all Diana

Hi Diana

I always bear three things in mind when I create a sequence....

1 - always use an mp3 sound file

2 - always keep the image file size below 200kb

3 - always use Photoshop's save to web for chosing the size of your image as this lets you see the quality of your image and you can slide it as close to 200kb as you wish.

I have created a web site especially for all aspects of digital AV at www.digital-av.co.uk with lots of notes. :D

dpi has no bearing on image quality on the screen

- to view an explanation about this subject, see Ian Bateman's article about "The Myth of 72 dpi" at www.avworld.org in their current edition ( UK magazine specifically for AV workers - it can be posted abroad to subscribers I believe) :)

I tend to size my images at 1024px x 768px , but my work is usually shown projected on large screens at competitions and lectures at halls using the newer digital projectors.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Maureen

Dianna

There is a Tutorial CD on my web site that is dedicated to producing PTE slide shows. It might answer all your questions.

Try this link http://www.barrybeckham.co.uk/tutorials/tu...udio_visual.htm

and check out a slide show sample or two here http://www.barrybeckham.co.uk/tutorials/tu..._av/explain.htm

bbdigital

:)