WnSoft Forums

Gardens of England - New Slideshow

Nikonos

I've just completed my first A/V show and uploaded to Beechbrook this evening. As a complete novice in this area I would appreciate any comments from the seasoned experts here.

It is easy enough to impress 'her indoors' :-) but constructive criticism from the 'old hands' would be a great help. Many thanks!

I've just completed my first A/V show and uploaded to Beechbrook this evening. As a complete novice in this area I would appreciate any comments from the seasoned experts here.

It is easy enough to impress 'her indoors' :-) but constructive criticism from the 'old hands' would be a great help. Many thanks!

Malcolm –

This being your first A/V, I must say you are off to a fast start. Overall, I’d rate it as very, very good. You must be a student of Barry’s DVD tutorials because you have a lot of nice techniques in the show. I look at the shows of first-timers today and compare them to my first shows; well, it’s obvious that the learning bar has risen.

Now, on to a few critique items: The opening was good and the music fitting with the scenes. I really liked the font selections. I normally don’t like insets because they interrupt the flow, but as someone recently pointed out to me, it’s a good way to handle verticals in a predominately horizontal show. Regarding panning and zooming, I’d minimize them. However, you have two examples of where the pan worked: at the beginning showing the gate, and later on when you panned up and to the right on the statue. I’d slow both of them down just a bit and give them a little more time. The rest of the pans and zooms didn’t add information to the scene, and thus seemed unnecessary. I would also try to stay with the same type of transition throughout the show, although the “turning/opening” page at the beginning seeming fitting.

The pictures were very good Malcolm. It seems to be a truism that those who invest in high-end DSLRs, such as the Nikon D700, generally already have a good photographic eye, and know how to shoot. You’ve aptly demonstrated that correlation.

Lastly, and this is really my issue and not yours, I wish that I could have seen it in a wide-screen format (16:9). The format looks overly square on a wide-screen monitor. It would have really added to my viewing experience.

Thanks for sharing your English garden with a US Midwesterner. You are to be commended.

Regards,

Dave

Malcolm –

This being your first A/V, I must say you are off to a fast start. Overall, I’d rate it as very, very good. You must be a student of Barry’s DVD tutorials because you have a lot of nice techniques in the show. I look at the shows of first-timers today and compare them to my first shows; well, it’s obvious that the learning bar has risen.

Now, on to a few critique items: The opening was good and the music fitting with the scenes. I really liked the font selections. I normally don’t like insets because they interrupt the flow, but as someone recently pointed out to me, it’s a good way to handle verticals in a predominately horizontal show. Regarding panning and zooming, I’d minimize them. However, you have two examples of where the pan worked: at the beginning showing the gate, and later on when you panned up and to the right on the statue. I’d slow both of them down just a bit and give them a little more time. The rest of the pans and zooms didn’t add information to the scene, and thus seemed unnecessary. I would also try to stay with the same type of transition throughout the show, although the “turning/opening” page at the beginning seeming fitting.

The pictures were very good Malcolm. It seems to be a truism that those who invest in high-end DSLRs, such as the Nikon D700, generally already have a good photographic eye, and know how to shoot. You’ve aptly demonstrated that correlation.

Lastly, and this is really my issue and not yours, I wish that I could have seen it in a wide-screen format (16:9). The format looks overly square on a wide-screen monitor. It would have really added to my viewing experience.

Thanks for sharing your English garden with a US Midwesterner. You are to be commended.

Regards,

Dave

Dear Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on "Gardens of England".

Very perceptive of you to spot a disciple of Barry... :-) I've just finished the first tutorial DVD and about to start the second....

I realize that it is a common enough mistake for novices to use too many different types of transition. I used what seemed appropriate to the subject matter but I will certainly go over it again and see what can be eliminated and a straight fade/dissolve substituted instead. The type/frequency of transitions seems to be a very subjective issue. But I appreciate what you say and will try and keep the variations to a minimum.

The format of the show was designed for our club projector (1450x1100) and I used the pans mostly to show the full width of the original shot. If I do a 1900x1100 version that will no longer be necessary.

I have to say that most of the images were taken on a Nikon D300 with a 18-200mm VR Nikkor - my 'carry-around' kit. The D700 is lovely but a bit of a beast - especially when lugging around the pro Nikkor optics to go with it. Persuading my "other half" to act as a native bearer has not had much success so far.. :-)

Thanks again for your help.

Regards - Malcolm (Nikonos)

Hi Malcolm,

When talking about resolution and aspect ratio it is EXTREMELY important to get the figures right in your mind, otherwise mistakes can be made and accumulate.

Your club's projector is (I'm willing to bet) 4:3 and 1400x1050.

If you decide to do a 16:9 PTE show the resolution you would set would be 1920x1080.

I think this issue is the most important one in AV these days and just thought that I would mention it.

DaveG

Hi Malcolm,

When talking about resolution and aspect ratio it is EXTREMELY important to get the figures right in your mind, otherwise mistakes can be made and accumulate.

Your club's projector is (I'm willing to bet) 4:3 and 1400x1050.

If you decide to do a 16:9 PTE show the resolution you would set would be 1920x1080.

I think this issue is the most important one in AV these days and just thought that I would mention it.

DaveG

Thanks Dave.

Our club is just buying a new digital projector and I was told the resolution was going to be 1450x1100. Looks like that was incorrect information and it should be 1400x1100. Thanks for pointing this out.

Malcolm

Malcolm

You have put quite a lot of time and effort into this show and the result is a good one (Other AV workers please note) There is plenty of varienty and good quality photography included and some nice techniques too.

I like to see full screen animation continuing to move as the image appears and leaves the screen, but that is a personal taste, not a right or wrong

Some animations were a bit fast for me too, but generally the slide show was a very good one. Flowers and plants have the ability in the wrong hands to bore the pants off us. This didn't do that or come anywhere near that.

A great slide show, which I enjoyed.

Malcolm

You have put quite a lot of time and effort into this show and the result is a good one (Other AV workers please note) There is plenty of varienty and good quality photography included and some nice techniques too.

I like to see full screen animation continuing to move as the image appears and leaves the screen, but that is a personal taste, not a right or wrong

Some animations were a bit fast for me too, but generally the slide show was a very good one. Flowers and plants have the ability in the wrong hands to bore the pants off us. This didn't do that or come anywhere near that.

A great slide show, which I enjoyed.

Hello Barry,

Coming from you that is praise indeed! :-) I would like to take the opportunity to say how much I have enjoyed using your tutorial DVDs to achieve 'Gardens of England' in a comparatively short time. I would recommend them to anyone who wants to learn PicturesToExe. Some aspects of the software are still a mystery to me, but no doubt your invaluable explanations will shed "light on the darkness"... Thanks again. Now, what subject do I choose next? :-)

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

For a first attempt, this is quite a good slideshow, a collection of really good photos and very appropriate music; you have all the building blocks there to make it a great slide show.

The pan and zooms seemed to be hesitant, as if you felt a need to put something in, but was not sure why. Sometimes people feel almost as if there is an obligation to use a transition, because it is there. What I suggest you do, is to think about what a pan or zoom will “add” to your show. Generally, as already mentioned, pans and zooms are there to reveal something, or to make something come to life. Watch a few movies and see how they use pan and zoom, but also notice how the static frame adds impact too.

I did enjoy watching it, thank you for sharing it with us, and I will look forward to seeing you next one.