WnSoft Forums

Synching Issues - PTE reads mp3 as wrong length

anneharrigan

Here's a weird one. I am trying to exactly synch (different lengths for each slide) but when I preview from a specific slide in timeline the music is not in the same place as when I run the preview from the beginning.

On top of things, pte is reading the length of the music as 15.30, when in fact it is 12.30. I noticed that the pitch is low also. As you can imagine, this is pretty much making synching impossible. (I have tried it on two different machines)

Any ideas?

Hi marie1997,

The problem, almost certainly, lies with the mp3 file. How did you produce this file? Download from website? Rip from CD?

Do you have any sound editing software installed? Adobe Audition? Audacity?

If not I would strongly suggest that you download and install Audacity from http://audacity.sourceforge.net (It's free!).

regards,

Peter

Ugh, thanks you are right. I checked several other files and they were reading fine. Unfortunately, I did try opening it in Sony Sound Forge and resaving it as an mp3 file and that didn't help. I may have to back to the unedited original.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction,

Marie

Hello Marie,

This is certainly a problem of codec (you can read http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10324)

Open your sound file with a sound editor (Audacity like Peter suggested) and export it as an mp3 file.

Use this MP3 in PicturesToexe, it should be ok.

I have found that some programs do not like low-quality mp3 files and they behave much as you described PTE doing. Some of my mp3 players don't like anything recorded at less than 32kb quality (a bummer because 16kb is fine for spoken word). Check the file and see just what the specs are, compared to the files that work OK.

Audio: 20 Kbps, 8,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo.

You get the gold star. It is a midi file from a composer for a piece I will be performing in a week. Thank you for the explanation, it was really driving me crazy.

The good news is that in the end the exe file will be run to follow a live performance. This was informational for my staff so they could get an idea of what it was going to sound like, but I had to give up after awhile. At least I know I wasn't crazy!

I have found that some programs do not like low-quality mp3 files and they behave much as you described PTE doing. Some of my mp3 players don't like anything recorded at less than 32kb quality (a bummer because 16kb is fine for spoken word). Check the file and see just what the specs are, compared to the files that work OK.