WnSoft Forums

A suggestion to review main image concept

Jean-Claude

...While I am quite delighted with the software, I am puzzled by a few things; "Main Image" is one of them...

Many thanks for any clarification you can provide.

Ernest

Thank you Ernest D-Alford to point out this question. It concerns a greatly interesting and general subject.

How to clarify for often abashed users concepts which appears first as simple but are not. That's also ERGONOMY.

In an attempt to clear up the confusion about image, slide, ... I would like to suggest:

1 - a SLIDE is a container,

2 - a SLIDE can be EMPTY or contains an IMAGE or/and OBJECTS,

3 - there is no more main image, only a slide,

4 - Checkbox "Main image" in O&A disappears.

5 - Button "Add slide" in main window adds a slide, EMPTY if no image are selected in file list, otherwise a slide with an image. Several slides if several images are selected (as today),

6 - A slide which remains empty appears in the slide list and in the slideshow with the project's defined background,

7 - In O&A it's possible to empty a slide, on main window also ("Clear slide" in popup menu must be added),

8 - "remove slide" removess the slide and its content -not image files on hard drive- (as today)

9 - User CAN'T be able to rename an image in the slide list. Corresponding popup menu concerns the SLIDE, NOT the IMAGE. (it's a normal and safety way to use Window Explorer functions to manage files and folders on hard drive)

10 - It will be usefull in the slide list popup menu to have a "selected (/all) slide rename" function with a "name + rank number" algorithm

Hello Jean-Claude,

I like your contribution. It should serve as a starting point for a discussion on the revision of the slide (container) concept. The main image concept should be replaced. It should be possible to give (arbitrary) names to slides. Perhaps the name of the slide's first image could serve as a default name.

Remark concerning your point 8: Removing a slide in the slide list does not delete the main image on the HD.

Regards,

Xaver

Jean-Claude,

You have, indeed, opened up a potentially interesting discussion. I find myself in agreement with much of what you say.

I particularly like your attempt at improving the definition of what a Slide, Image and Object are within PTE. I think your suggestion is very sensible. I am a little wary of using the word "container" though, because Igor has already introduced this word in conection with the mask feature.

I think of the Slide as being a "virtual image" that has no existence other than within PTE. This virtual image may be a "real image" or it may be a collection of objects, each of which can be either a real image or a virtual image (Rectangle, Frame and Text would be examples of virtual images).

I feel that it should be impossible in PTE to physically delete any "real image" file or to physically rename any "real image" file. PTE should be able to rename and delete only "virtual image" entities. After all, I don't expect Microsoft Excel to be able to delete or rename Microsoft Word files. I don't expect Adobe Photoshop Elements to be able to delete or rename PTE project files. So why should PTE be able to delete or rename our image files?

regards,

Peter