WnSoft Forums

Testing System

Eric Athroll

Hi

Can anyone suggest two or three sequences to downloadthat will give me a test of the capabilities of my current but rather old system using the facilities of Version 6?

I also would like to know if PTE Version 6 will enable me to continue making sequences similar to those I curently make with Version 5.6.4 and burn these to DVD using my current version 5.6 of Video Builder. In other words, can I now switch to Version 6 of PTE even though my system probably won't allow me to use all the facilities available?

Eric,

Re: Testing your system

Although it was never intended to be a "PTEv6 Capability Test", you could try my "Rubik's Cube" sequence. It makes extensive use of the 3D Animation of objects (up to c.270 objects on any one slide). And I know that at least one AV group in the UK has used one of my older sequences, "Kaleidoscope", to stress test their graphics card. Both sequences were posted in the Slideshows section (you will need to use the forum's search feature to find the topic for "Kaleidoscope" as it is getting on for a couple of years old).

You could also check out some of the sequences that Lin Evans has created. Some of these also give the graphics a good workout.

Re: Video-Builder

Your current Video-Builder key will remain active on new PTE releases until it reaches the end of its two-year life. At that point it will continue to operate with your then installed versions of PTE but will not work with any new versions that you install after it has expired. To get Video-Builder working again on all releases after it has expired you must renew the registration (i.e. pay the Deluxe Upgrade licence fee again in order to get another two years of happiness)

regards,

Peter

Thanks for the help.

I have downloaded Kaleidoscope and it runs fine on my system. I have also tried crittercube and cube which also seem OK.

I have no knowledge of 3D effects on a PC but would imagine that they would not be available to me. I also imagine I wouldn't be able to make use of HD video.

I did take part in a topic discussion some time ago about PTE and VideoBuilder and I said then that it would have been a better move if the two applications were seperated rather than integrated as a package.

I shall now play around with PTE Version 6 and see how I get one with it before updating my VideoBuilder.

I have just opened one of my old projects (.pte file cfreatyed in PTE Version 5) into PTE Version 6 and it produces exactly the same .exe file as in previous versions.

Regretably, however, if I open this in my current version of VideoBuilder it won't burn a DVD.

This means that I shall have to continue using PTE Version 5.6.4 if I wish to make a DVD of the sequence which is a great pity.

I have downloaded Kaleidoscope and it runs fine on my system. I have also tried crittercube and cube which also seem OK.

I have no knowledge of 3D effects on a PC but would imagine that they would not be available to me.

Eric,

If Crittercube and Cube have both played OK then your PC supports 3D animation. Go ahead and play with it in PTE v6 and enjoy!!!!

regards,

Peter

Can anyone suggest two or three sequences to downloadthat will give me a test of the capabilities of my current but rather old system using the facilities of Version 6?

Even if it's a good test, I don't think the 3D transformations are the worse torture test for a system.

It seems this feature doesn't need a lot of power to be perfectly smooth.

If you limit the number of objects per slide, it should be ok, even with rather old configuration.

But you can try JPD's planet : http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10758 ("more than 2300 objects in the same slide").

Actually, what is the most difficult to handle for your system is the mask feature :

You can try my Trio reflection : http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10147

Hi Eric,

A couple things:

First, if you will go to the "start" then "run" at Windows, type in "dxdiag" then click on "O.K." Windows will run a diagnostic. When it is finished, click on the "Display" tab and you can get specifics on your own system in terms of the amount of Video Ram, the type of Video Display Card, etc.

Then you can go to this section of the forum:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10555

Click on the "Videocard Benchmark" link and search for your individual card. When you find the card, look for the number associated. A number of 900 or higher should run virtually "any" PTE show smoothly. A number of at least 420 is necessary for some of the more complex graphics shows, etc.

If your card has less than 420, you might think about upgrading. If you will let me know the details of your video card, I can look up the performance characteristics and help you decide whether or not you need to upgrade.

Graphics performance is a complex issue which involves many factors. The number of objects on a slide is one factor, but even a very old and mediocre video card can handle many hundred objects on a single slide if the objects are quite small. For example, one of our forum members made a demo using over 900 objects on a single slide which could be played on virtually "any" computer. The secret? The objects were very small in memory requirements and the motion was not complex. Likewise for masking. A simple, small mask can be handled by virtually "any" system, but it is very easy to create a complex mask which can challenge even moderate systems.

A true "torture" test for video is when you have multiple large objects on a single slide in complex motion simultaneously and run complex masks and large images (large pixel dimensions) in the same animation.

The most demanding graphic I've created and one I use for testing video cards with is linked below:

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sample/ptedemoshowfull.zip

This one is about a 100 meg download. It begins with some complex snow animations including masks and 3D transforms. Most moderately good video cards will run the first part of the show fairly smoothly. An excellent graphics card will have no problems. The show then goes to a complex graphic of a wrist watch in motion with movement of all three hands, snow within the crystal, etc. This graphic can be seen smoothly on most moderately good graphic cards. The show then presents a moderately animated waterfall scene using multiple masks, fairly large PNG files and simultaneous motion. This portion usually is decent on most systems with a moderately good video card.

The next scene uses masks but not large images and should work smoothly for most. The following waterfall and moving water scene has multiple masks and a medium large image and can be problematic for weaker systems. The next scene is a killer for weak systems. It consists of a rotating Earth circling a rotating sun simulation. This one uses over 650 large objects in simultaneous motion, masks, etc. Only really powerful systems will play this simulation smoothly. Systems will less than optimal resources will get the timing wrong, jerky motion, pause or simply hang up. The text will be displayed either at the wrong time or will flash so quickly it can't be read at all. Again, only really optimal systems will play this portion of the show smoothly.

Finally, there are some 3D Transforms of OOB (out of bounds) images which most moderately good video systems will play smoothly, followed by an actual slideshow using 3D transforms and decent sized images. "Most" moderately good video cards will play the last section smoothly.

This show is the ultimate torture test I have yet devised which will ring out the video card and let anyone know whether what they have is up to the test of playing about anything which might be built with PTE.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi

I also would like to know if PTE Version 6 will enable me to continue making sequences similar to those I curently make with Version 5.6.4 and burn these to DVD using my current version 5.6 of Video Builder. In other words, can I now switch to Version 6 of PTE even though my system probably won't allow me to use all the facilities available?

Even if it's a good test, I don't think the 3D transformations are the worse torture test for a system.

It seems this feature doesn't need a lot of power to be perfectly smooth.

If you limit the number of objects per slide, it should be ok, even with rather old configuration.

But you can try JPD's planet : http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10758 ("more than 2300 objects in the same slide").

Actually, what is the most difficult to handle for your system is the mask feature :

You can try my Trio reflection : http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10147

Hi

Planet played OK but Trio was less than smooth, but still quite acceptable. Thanks for the links.

Hi Eric,

A couple things:

First, if you will go to the "start" then "run" at Windows, type in "dxdiag" then click on "O.K." Windows will run a diagnostic. When it is finished, click on the "Display" tab and you can get specifics on your own system in terms of the amount of Video Ram, the type of Video Display Card, etc.

Then you can go to this section of the forum:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10555

Click on the "Videocard Benchmark" link and search for your individual card. When you find the card, look for the number associated. A number of 900 or higher should run virtually "any" PTE show smoothly. A number of at least 420 is necessary for some of the more complex graphics shows, etc.

If your card has less than 420, you might think about upgrading. If you will let me know the details of your video card, I can look up the performance characteristics and help you decide whether or not you need to upgrade.

Graphics performance is a complex issue which involves many factors. The number of objects on a slide is one factor, but even a very old and mediocre video card can handle many hundred objects on a single slide if the objects are quite small. For example, one of our forum members made a demo using over 900 objects on a single slide which could be played on virtually "any" computer. The secret? The objects were very small in memory requirements and the motion was not complex. Likewise for masking. A simple, small mask can be handled by virtually "any" system, but it is very easy to create a complex mask which can challenge even moderate systems.

A true "torture" test for video is when you have multiple large objects on a single slide in complex motion simultaneously and run complex masks and large images (large pixel dimensions) in the same animation.

The most demanding graphic I've created and one I use for testing video cards with is linked below:

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sample/ptedemoshowfull.zip

This one is about a 100 meg download. It begins with some complex snow animations including masks and 3D transforms. Most moderately good video cards will run the first part of the show fairly smoothly. An excellent graphics card will have no problems. The show then goes to a complex graphic of a wrist watch in motion with movement of all three hands, snow within the crystal, etc. This graphic can be seen smoothly on most moderately good graphic cards. The show then presents a moderately animated waterfall scene using multiple masks, fairly large PNG files and simultaneous motion. This portion usually is decent on most systems with a moderately good video card.

The next scene uses masks but not large images and should work smoothly for most. The following waterfall and moving water scene has multiple masks and a medium large image and can be problematic for weaker systems. The next scene is a killer for weak systems. It consists of a rotating Earth circling a rotating sun simulation. This one uses over 650 large objects in simultaneous motion, masks, etc. Only really powerful systems will play this simulation smoothly. Systems will less than optimal resources will get the timing wrong, jerky motion, pause or simply hang up. The text will be displayed either at the wrong time or will flash so quickly it can't be read at all. Again, only really optimal systems will play this portion of the show smoothly.

Finally, there are some 3D Transforms of OOB (out of bounds) images which most moderately good video systems will play smoothly, followed by an actual slideshow using 3D transforms and decent sized images. "Most" moderately good video cards will play the last section smoothly.

This show is the ultimate torture test I have yet devised which will ring out the video card and let anyone know whether what they have is up to the test of playing about anything which might be built with PTE.

Best regards,

Lin

I had a look at the Video Card ratings and my card came out at a G3D Rating of 104 and a Ranking of 480.

You are quite right, your "showfull" sequence proved to test my system to the limit. I got some moire and very slight breakup of some of the images during the transitions but on the whole it played quite well. I doubt whether I will need or ever produce anything this complex but as my PC is now over 5 years old it won't be long before it will need to be replaced.

Thanks for the links.