WnSoft Forums

MP3 Sound Quality

fh1805

I think I know the answer but I would welcome confirmation (or correction if I've got it wrong!)

When creating MP3 files from WAV files (using Audacity) am I right in thinking that, compared to music files, I could get away with a lower bit rate for spoken voice files?

regards,

Peter

Peter:

I suspect you are correct, but can't say with any authority. Unless the intention is to create as small an exe file as possible, is there a reason to vary the bit rate ?

Is the example you are thinking of voice over only? Or are you keeping the voice over file separate from the music in the final version.

My workflow has me keeping everything in wav forum until I have the final version (music in PROJECT OPTIONS>MUSIC and voice-over attached to individual images) and then combine them into one single MP3 file which goes into Project Options>Music.

I understand that an MP3 is the same as a jpg, the more you save it the more quality you can potentially lose. So just like I work with .psd/.tif files until I am happy, I work with wav files until the last step

Jim,

I should have made things clearer. The project that this question relates to is a spoken word only project - no images, no music. A local retired priest and one of the local church's bible readers would like to produce "talking book" CDs of the gospels to be distributed around the local old folk's homes, hospices and similar. I'm working with the bible reader, doing the recordings using my Samson Zoom H4 and also doing all the post-processing. The original recordings are WAV format and all the post-processing is done in that format. But now I'm at the stage of considering how best to reduce the file sizes so that we end up with as few CDs as possible; hence the question.

regards,

Peter

Jim,

I should have made things clearer. The project that this question relates to is a spoken word only project - no images, no music. A local retired priest and one of the local church's bible readers would like to produce "talking book" CDs of the gospels to be distributed around the local old folk's homes, hospices and similar. I'm working with the bible reader, doing the recordings using my Samson Zoom H4 and also doing all the post-processing. The original recordings are WAV format and all the post-processing is done in that format. But now I'm at the stage of considering how best to reduce the file sizes so that we end up with as few CDs as possible; hence the question.

regards,

Peter

Peter

ebooks that i have downloaded are generally 64 bit

also see

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_good_bit_rate_to_download_audio_books

http://www.google.ca/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=bit+rate+for+ebokks&meta=lr%3D&aq=f&oq=

ken