WnSoft Forums

Can V 5.5 still be downloaded

jdearman

Jim,

Version 5.5 pre-dates Windows 7 by some considerable distance. I would doubt whether it would work and there would almost certainly be little or no support for bug fixes given that it was superceded first by version 5.6 and then by version 6.

In my extremely humble opinion, you would be better off reverting your operating system to an earlier version. Windows 7 is, again in my extremely humble opinion, far too new to be worth using yet. I would always try and wait at least 6 months after release, and preferably until after the first Service Pack before touching a new operating system; especially an operating system from a company whose track record for "get it right first time" is as close to zero as one can get.

regards,

Peter

Jim,

Version 5.5 pre-dates Windows 7 by some considerable distance. I would doubt whether it would work and there would almost certainly be little or no support for bug fixes given that it was superceded first by version 5.6 and then by version 6.

In my extremely humble opinion, you would be better off reverting your operating system to an earlier version. Windows 7 is, again in my extremely humble opinion, far too new to be worth using yet. I would always try and wait at least 6 months after release, and preferably until after the first Service Pack before touching a new operating system; especially an operating system from a company whose track record for "get it right first time" is as close to zero as one can get.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I note your comments about Windows.7 and I completely agree with you. As far as I can assertain its always been

Microsofts policy to wait for Market "feedback" both from Professional Engineers and Users and from the general

PC.User before they bring out any Service-Pak V1 which sorts out the "bugs" in any new MS.Operating System.

Windows.7 is no exception to this policy ~ but having said that ~ this new Op.System has the potential of being

their best ever and they certainly have taken a 'quantum jump' in adopting the 64.Bit Processor-Architecture which

in itself is not yet fully developed and indeed there are very few 64.Bit Programs capable of running faultlessly

in the 64.Bit Mode. I don't think its a case of a 'bridge too far' but rather we have to wait for Programmers to

catch up with vast potential and nuances of the 64.Bit Code-System which is at least 8 times more powerful than 32.Bit.

Should we wait for Windows7-SP1 ~ well thats a personal matter of what do we expect from Windows.7 ~ If its for simple PC

usage in a domestic environment it works extremely well. But if we expect advanced Program execution with full Graphics

potential both in Video and AVI then we have problems?? because (standard) OEM-Hardware packed into 'off-the-shelf'

PCs is simply not up to the job and will never access the full potential of Win.7 However for those lucky enough to have

a (bespoke) Custom-PC made personally for them, then 64.Bit really puts the sky as the limiting factor assuming they

have selected compatible Hardware.

Least we all forget ~ it has always been like that with each new Microsoft Operating System ~ prudence needed !!!

Brian (Conflow)

Hi Peter,

Should we wait for Windows7-SP1 ~ well thats a personal matter of what do we expect from Windows.7 ~ If its for simple PC

usage in a domestic environment it works extremely well. But if we expect advanced Program execution with full Graphics

potential both in Video and AVI then we have problems?? because (standard) OEM-Hardware packed into 'off-the-shelf'

PCs is simply not up to the job and will never access the full potential of Win.7 However for those lucky enough to have

a (bespoke) Custom-PC made personally for them, then 64.Bit really puts the sky as the limiting factor assuming they

have selected compatible Hardware.

Least we all forget ~ it has always been like that with each new Microsoft Operating System ~ prudence needed !!!

Brian (Conflow)

So, are you saying that Windows 7 will only work in 64 bit mode on a custom made computer?

I'm amazed at both of these responses, so much so that I've been sitting here for 10 minutes trying to think of something that dosen't come off as sarcastic.

I'm assuming that you are not speaking for Wnsoft. To suggest that jdearman or I or any of the other people having probems change operating systems so that one program will work is, as I said, an amazing response.

I take it all back. I guess you guys are right, they just refunded my money for Deluxe. I guess there is no solution.

Hi E.B,

E.B ~ I think you are looking at and assessing these matters in terms of "Black & White" for the reason that you wrote

the following:- ..."So, are you saying that Windows 7 will only work in 64 bit mode on a custom made Computer"..unquote.

(That in response to my previous #4 Post above).

No I did not suggest that "Black & White" analysis, what I did say was:-

"Off the shelf Windows.7 Computers" purchased in Retail & Chain outlets are severely limited by their installed Hardware,

viz:- Their Graphic Cards and Sound Cards can not access the full potential of the Windows7 64.Bit Op.System due to the

limitations of those installed Hardware devices.

Even when Windows7 is running in 32.Bit mode it has been the experience of most Forum Members that hardware upgrades

are necessary to achieve the full potential of the latest PTE V.6 Program. The Pan-Zoom & Rotate utilities of PTE.6 will not

work correctly if reproduced through cheap OEM.Graphic Cards and as Windows7 is more demanding than XP-Sp2/3 these

hardware deficiencies really become evident.

One has to remember that a PTE-Slideshow is an extremely hi-quality Graphics product compared to standard TV resolution

and one is not obliged to use the PTE Pan/Zoom/Rotate effects if the PC can't handle them ~ just use the Program as is

without the effects ~ it will run quite happily without loss of quality provided you have 32.Bit 'Compatibility-Mode' switched on

in the Windows7 System.

Hope this clears up these matters...

Brian (Conflow)

Brian,

I was, and am, somewhat disappointed in Wnsoft and I'm afraid I got a little snippy with you because of that, and I apologize. My only experience with 64 bit is Photoshop CS4 and it runs flawlessly.

I'm still disappointed with Wnsoft. I just use PTE for a few projects a year, since 2002, as a hobby and had hoped to continue. However, there was very limited response from Igor or anyone else except for the thread he started about problems with Win7. The thing is, that I'm not trying to access the full power and potential of PTE. All I want to do is burn a DVD.

Although I'm grateful my money was refunded, I would rather have a functioning program for my enjoyment. I was both surprised and disappointed that they apparently gave up so quickly.

Brian,

I was, and am, somewhat disappointed in Wnsoft and I'm afraid I got a little snippy with you because of that, and I apologize. My only experience with 64 bit is Photoshop CS4 and it runs flawlessly.

I'm still disappointed with Wnsoft. I just use PTE for a few projects a year, since 2002, as a hobby and had hoped to continue. However, there was very limited response from Igor or anyone else except for the thread he started about problems with Win7. The thing is, that I'm not trying to access the full power and potential of PTE. All I want to do is burn a DVD.

Although I'm grateful my money was refunded, I would rather have a functioning program for my enjoyment. I was both surprised and disappointed that they apparently gave up so quickly.

E.B,

May thanks for your reply, I can appreciate your feelings on this matter,viz:- "All I want to do is burn a DVD"....

I do know for certain that many 'Advanced PTE Users' are actually using Windows.7 and burning PTE-DVD's with it

and as a way of helping you, may I suggest that you start a completely 'new topic' titled somewhat s follows:-

"Help wanted Burning DVD's with Windows-7"....Perhaps the "Dom" and Lin Evans and other Members will offer their

help and experiences with this new Operating-System and guide you through the process.

Please don't give up on PTE just yet.

Brian (Conflow)

I sent you an email also.

I think Wnsoft gave up on me. I sent them an email asking what progress was being made and was it getting to a point that I should consider asking for a refund. Their answer was "your refund is being processed".