WnSoft Forums

PTE 6 and DVDs for HD Wide Screen TVs

Peter S

Back in 2006 there were some interesting discussions on how to produce AVI files which could be burned onto a DVD using Nero. I learned quite a bit from other forum members at the time. Although I had some reasonable results I did not have an HD TV and have not pursued this since. I have just started looking at this again (having bought a 40" Sony) and would appreciate some guidance. Simply burning a DVD Video Disc from various differently sized slides ranging from 1920 x 1200 to 1024 x 768 sized files throws up some interesting resizing effects when viewed on the TV.

Can anyone please tell me what the latest advice using PTE 6.0 is to get a DVD that will play full screen on the TV.

Many thanks

Peter

Peter

see

http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/imagedim/

1920/1080 = 16/9, 1080i format

try it and see how it looks

Paul Templeton put up a show that was 1720/1141

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11242&view=findpost&p=72507

and Luc Moreels put up one at 1680/1050

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11242&view=findpost&p=72574

that filled my ws monitor

if you dowload these 2 shows you will see their settings show on your monitor

Myself, i have had success showing on my 37" HD tv using 1354/900

DaveG has quoted elswhere in forum good results -do a search

ken

Hi Ken/Peter,

Ken may have got it slightly wrong (or I have misunderstood his intention).

I don't advocate the use of DVD for this application - I've never had satisfactory results this way.

What I DO advocate is connecting a laptop (with HDMI output) to your TV and playing your 1920x1080 EXE file directly.

Some have indicated that they have had good results using VGA connection. Having tried both I can definitely state that there is a clear difference between the two on my setup. Furthermore, when connected via VGA (on MY SONY setup) the TV limits the width you can use to something closer to 16:10 format. Black lines each side.

Laptop - HDMI - 16:9 TV. It's the only way to go.

I realise that this advice is of no use to anyone wanting to mail a DVD to a relative/friend. Peter didn't say what his intention was in that respect.

DG

Hi Dave,

I agree that connecting a PC or Mac to the TV using HDMI is the best solution and I have done this successfully.

I appreciate that the DVD will not produce the same definition but was looking to see if there is a "reasonable" solution to sending DVDs to other people.

It seems a shame to have the option available but not to be able to get at least a reasonable quality DVD that can be passed around.

Ken,

I am afraid that the links you provided don't really answer the question.

I cannot find the thread that discussed this topic in 2006 but Hawk published a step by step guide as to how to use Nero to make a DVD and I thought that was for a 16:9 HD TV but my memory is as old as I am and may be failing.

Is the conclusion "It is really not that worthwhile to make DVDs?

Peter

Dave

the difference between you and others is I think outside the box -- the computer does the work of building etc then i convert for playing on the ws tv by dvd

I have been told that i have enough junk that i need no more so i use what i have :))

the bottom line

an aspect ratio of 16:9

ken

Dave

the difference between you and others is I think outside the box -- the computer does the work of building etc then i convert for playing on the ws tv by dvd

I have been told that i have enough junk that i need no more so i use what i have :))

the bottom line

an aspect ratio of 16:9

ken

I am not sure what your out of the box comment is intended to convey but it does not really get us much further.

What do you actually do? If I burn a 16:9 PTE show to a DVD using Video Builder I do NOT get a DVD that fills my 16:9 screen when I play it on my TV through a DVD player. Do you?

How does the quality compare with the same show played through a lap top using an HDMI connection?

Peter

I have run some tests and I find the results very surprising. The tests may help someone and perhaps someone else may be able to provide an explanation. It seems to me that VideoBuilder behaves in strange and mysterious ways.

I made several short sequences using exactly sized rectangular slides with coloured borders and large circles in the centre. I burned these as DVD Video Discs using various settings.

My PC has a 1280 x 1024 display and my TV is a Sony 16:9

I find it difficult to believe but this is what works to get an undistorted full screen show on the TV.

Size of slide 1920 x 1080 - no surprise there.

Project Options Aspect ratio 5:4 (matches my PC screen) Why???

Fixed size of slide in pixels Ticked.

Video Builder options

TV system PAL/SECAM

Menu aspect ration 16:9

TV screen aspect ratio 16:9

Other settings I think I only changed Video type to Progressive but they are:

Bitrate 7000

Video type Progressive

There was no audio

The circles stayed circular on the Wide screen setting on the TV. I lost 40px top and bottom and 80px from each side. Other screen settings such as zoom distort the circles.

Kind regards

Peter

Peter,

Not sure whether this actually works but if you create a DVD from PTE, once you have entered tne Video Builder window you click can the "Project Options" button to display the options dialog. On the first tab you have "Menu Aspect Ratio" and "TV Screen Aspect Ratio". Try selecting 16:9 in both of those places and burning a DVD. If that doesn't give you want you are looking for, then I guess you would need a bluray burner to create HD video.

I haven't actually done this myself so I could be wrong, but I believe from PTE you would burn an HD (H.264) video and transfer that to a disc to play on the blu ray player. You would need software to transfer the HD.264 video to the bluray disk -- probably something like Nero. From what I have read in some of the Panasonic photography forums regarding HD movies, it may be possible to just copy the file onto a bluray disc and play it but I couldn't say from experience. I usually hook my computer directly to my TV, but that obviously doesn't work if you want to send the show to others who may not have that sort of connectivity option.

PETER

hdmi direct fom the pc is likely the best you can get -- i dont have the capability - but i have a svhs output to my 37" lcd tv and tho the signal does not fill the screen completely, an exe is crisper than the same show on dvd

by outside the box -- once pte has done it's thing making an avi or a file, i am done with pte, then i have to convert the file with 3rd party software -- nero or such

my work is for my own use and am satisfied with results with the gear i have.

ken