WnSoft Forums

Bluray quality on DVD. Im a convert now

coopernatural

Hi Carol,

Might be worth a tinker with the software even if it can't produce a polished production as with Pinnacle.

The sound breakup,I'm not sure about.It could be the bit rate setting.

Will have a look at Avisynth.

I downloaded and printed your full PTE/Pinnacle guide.Thanks again for that.

I do hope in a day or so,you will be volunteered to produce the 'Freebie software guide to AVCHD'.

Davy

.......The sound breakup,I'm not sure about.It could be the bit rate setting.............

That I wondered about too Davy and I'm in the middle to rerendering all the PTE shows out at a bitrate of 12000Kbits/sec instead of the 24000Kbits/sec which I tried earlier (I'm a nut for getting the absolute best quality that I can). This has resulted in mp4 files which are just a fraction over half the previous file sizes, so hopefully the whole 12 slideshows will fit together on a standard 4.7GB DVD.

If it does, I might try to see if those files will then be acceptable in Pinnacle without the problems which I ran into previously. If it does, I will upload an amended version of the tutorial to the MediaFire site.

I'll keep you informed as to my progress with all this.

Great stuff Carol,

I too tried out a maxed out AV.Sound was fine but the odd artifect crept in to a few slides.

While playing back the disc I checked the bitrate.It reached 50mbs! in places.

No wonder it was throwing up the odd artifect.

The PDF files will be very helpful to those wanting to dip in their toes.

You lead the way and I will follow.

Davy

Carol (note there is no longer an 'e' at the end) :)

I downloaded your tutorial and was able to use most of ir but, since I do not have Pinnacle Studio, was unable to use that. Instead I used Nero and I have managed to burn an AVCHD of two of my PTE slide shows. I used all the settings that you suggested in you tutorial and the quality of both picture and sound was perfect. I am really pleased with myself now!

I note that you are now going to reduce your bitrate down to 12000 (instead of 24000) - I will try that as well although I think that the quality will drop a bit to much, we will see.

You have been a very useful teacher and your pdf was very detailed. We all thank you for your time. When I have finished all of my testing, I will write one of my own pdf's that will teach how to create the AVCHD disc using Nero.

Ron.

******************** BEWARE OF MALWARE*******************************

Last night/early this morning I downloaded 3 programs from the Internet:-

MultiAVCHD

A file (x264) which MultiAVCHD recommended me to upgrade to in its log

Avisynth version 2.58

During my routine daily scan with Spybot S&D it picked up several hijacking trojans (yesterdays scan was clean). I have cleaned the system with Spybot and I am now running a 2nd check with Malwarebyte's Anti-malware program. This has picked up a further 8 infected objects. I will finish after the Malwarebyte's scan with a full sweep with my anti-virus program (but I checked the files on download and nothing showed up with this)

So, if you have downloaded any of these files, please run a check on your system.

Carol (note there is no longer an 'e' at the end) :)

Thanks Ron ;)

...........I note that you are now going to reduce your bitrate down to 12000 (instead of 24000).....................

Ron.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only did it fix the problem with the audio dropouts that I was getting, the quality of the video did not degrade by a huge amount - it was visible when I replayed the one done at a higher bitrate, but was not substantial enough to warrant me discarding it. If I hadn't seen the one done at the higher bitrate, d certainly have been impressed with the one done at 12000Kbits/sec - plus there was the added bonus that the whole project (all 38mins of it) was able to be burnt to a plain 4.7GB DVD disk instead of having to use a DL DVD disk. I used MultiAVCHD to burn the project - but please note my malware warning in the above post.

Hopefully Davy will run a scan on his system so that between the two of us we will be able to narrow down which download was responsible for the malware.

Carol,

I was going to download the 'Multi AVCHD' program but, due to your malware comments, I will wait until you and Davy have had a chance to track down the culprit.

I used Nero to burn my DVD's and wonder if this will be enough for me without the need for other software - what do you think?

Ron

Not sure where the malware has came from,but keep us posted.

Davy

Thanks for checking it out Davy. I am beginning to suspect it didn't come from those files. The 8 problems found by Malwarebyte's scan all pointed to a SkyMedia source. I was on their web site yesterday afternoon and I suppose some of the streaming ads which they show on their site could have been hacked/hijacked and infected. Obviously even just viewing the screen, things like that are downloaded onto the system.

Avira is running a scan on the system and has found one virus (html/Crypted.Gen) I will have to wait for the full scan to finish before I can find out more though.

Later:

The file which Avira found - 'C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\gs88arbx.default\Cache\69185632d01'

contained a virus or unwanted program 'HTML/Crypted.Gen' [virus]

Action(s) taken:

The file was moved to '4ba9389e.qua'!

I have now deleted it from the system. The fact that it was from Mozilla could mean it was from either the Sky web site which I visited yesterday, or could have piggy backed from one of the other sites where I downloaded the other files. For now I would be very cautious about visiting the Avisynth site, but the MultiAVCHD would not appear to be implicated.

******************** BEWARE OF MALWARE*******************************

...So, if you have downloaded any of these files, please run a check on your system.

========================

Greetings,

It is interesting that you posted a note about malware associated with the MultiAVCHD program. Just before you posted your message, I thought that I had a malware that was caused by MultiAVCHD. It might be the result of me not really knowing what I am doing but let me explain.

I am assuming that this program is used for creating high quality DVDs that are better than the regular DVD’s created directly from PTE. I gave it a try.

So I created an MP4 file in PTE. Then I ‘Added the Video’ file in MultiAVCHD. I chose the ‘HD-DVD for DVD-R’. I hit ‘Start’. However, here is what I got:

[18:34:41] *** Encoding : One pass - content: [00:01:59]

[18:34:41] Cannot detect file size: (E:\PTE-Dog Event\Dog Event_new.[1920x1080-23.976].264)

[18:34:41] *** Speed : 18289.38 fps (elapsed: 00:00:00 - Realtime x 762.82)

[18:34:41] Cannot detect file size: (E:\PTE-Dog Event\Dog Event_new.[1920x1080-23.976].264)

[18:34:41] *** Transcoding failed!

[18:34:41] *** Check ffdshow/avisynth/haali (reinstall)!

[18:34:41] *** DEBUG: Try to play [C:\multiAVCHD\tools\20100214-183441-uncrop

Then I noticed the problem. When I tried to go into the folder ‘E:\PTE-Dog Event’, I got an error message: ‘Windows Explorer has stopped working’. I could not get into that specific folder and it would automatically close each time I tried to open it. A Malwarebytes scan showed no problems. After a couple hours of trying things, I finally figured out that if I delete (through DOS) the file, ‘Dog Event_new.mkv', the problem went away.

Now this might not be a malware problem, but it is a problem created by MultiAVCHD. I don’t know what I did wrong, but the problem is repeatable. I don’t know what I am doing wrong.

So that did not work. Then I tried creating an AVCHD disk. This worked. It burned to a DVD-R disk. However, my JVC Blu-ray player does not recognize it even though the specs say it will play that format. My WD Media Play did recognize the AVCHD file and play it (I copied the entire AVCHD folder to a memory stick).

Maybe I am missing something but I don’t see how to make use of the MultiAVCHD program. If I have it right, you are using the MultiAVCHD to create higher quality DVDs, but I can’t seem to get it to work. Any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks… Gary

I had a few problems getting it to work initially Gary, but I noticed a note in the log about if I was experiencing problems to update the x264.exe file in the MulitAVCHD Tool's folder. I did this - but I also noticed it kept referring to NTSC rather than PAL in the log.

Make sure that you go into the 'Author' tab and switch to PAL

Sorry, wipe that comment, I see you are in the States and will therefore be using an NTSC setup for your television/BD player.

I noticed a comment in there about avisynth - I had to manually install this separately from another source (do a google search on avisynth version 2.5.8, download the file and install it into a separate folder). Once you have installed it, please run a malware sweep of your system - the malware and virus program which I found on my system possibly didn't come from that source (I am more and more convinced it was something on the SkyMedia site), but for your own peace of mind and it would help us all here to eliminate that as a possible source of my infection.

Seems to me that the 'multiAVCHD' program is causing some problems, I previously said that I use Nero to creat my discs. This works fine so what will 'multiAVCHD'

do better?

Also, after reading the excellent pdf provided by Carol, I am considering 'Pinnacle 14 Ultimate' for the near future.

Ron

Hi Ronnie,

I am getting the MultiAVCHD program to work fine.I have it set up with IMG Burn to output discs.

If you have Nero and it's working for you,no need to tinker with this program.

For someone wanting to try before buying a software I would try MultiAVCHD.

There may be some differences in quality of the final output between Nero and MultiAVCHD.

Not all software is created equal.Nero/Roxio tend to be bloatware,doing lots of things,just not very well.

For Gary.here is a link to the Video help forum http://www.videohelp.com/tools/multiAVCHD#usercomments

A lot of clever types here. I noticed in the user comments that a guy there is getting discs burned ok on his JVC player.

It may well be some box ticked or unticked in the settings.I am no expert on this program,but I didn't need any updates

or additional software for it to work.

Maybe we can coax Lin to have a look into this.

Davy

I had a few problems getting it to work initially Gary, but I noticed a note in the log about if I was experiencing problems to update the x264.exe file in the MulitAVCHD Tool's folder. I did this - but I also noticed it kept referring to NTSC rather than PAL in the log.

Make sure that you go into the 'Author' tab and switch to PAL

Sorry, wipe that comment, I see you are in the States and will therefore be using an NTSC setup for your television/BD player.

I noticed a comment in there about avisynth - I had to manually install this separately from another source (do a google search on avisynth version 2.5.8, download the file and install it into a separate folder). Once you have installed it, please run a malware sweep of your system - the malware and virus program which I found on my system possibly didn't come from that source (I am more and more convinced it was something on the SkyMedia site), but for your own peace of mind and it would help us all here to eliminate that as a possible source of my infection.

==================

Greetings Carol,

I tried it again. I re-installed the Avisyntah 2.5.8 as you suggested. I tried MultiAVCHD again and got similar results.

I burned the AVCHD file that it produced to a DVD but my JVC Blu-ray player would still not recognize it (though it says it should).

I tried creating the HD output. I let it sit for over 9 hours and when I returned, the progress bar showed only 0.3% done!!! I stopped the process.

I don't think this is going to work for me. I might not have the right boxes ticked but it is beyond my understanding. I do see others have great results. I will stay tuned to see what others might be discovring about this program.

Thanks for your help. Gary

PS I ran the Malwarebytes and it showed no problems.

DavyC...thanks. I'll take a look at that site.

I have now completed the first draft of the pdf tutorial that I promiced some days ago.

I Use Photoshop - Pictures To Exe - Nero Vision, to show you how to prepare and burn a PTE slide show to DVD in the HD and AVCHD format.

As discussed in this thread.

If anyone would like a copy of this pdf, please email me (be sure to include your own email address) and the pdf will be sent to you.

Ron West

I have now completed the first draft of the pdf tutorial that I promiced some days ago.

I Use Photoshop - Pictures To Exe - Nero Vision, to show you how to prepare and burn a PTE slide show to DVD in the HD and AVCHD format.

As discussed in this thread.

If anyone would like a copy of this pdf, please email me (be sure to include your own email address) and the pdf will be sent to you.

Ron West

==========================

Ronnie,

I finally got to go through your PDF. It is clear and concise. Thanks much.

However, I have discovered a bit of a problem. Not yours, but with Nero. I have the Nero 8 program, with its 'Nero Vision 5' subprogram. When I go into my Nero Vision 5's subprogram and click on 'Make DVD', I do not get the submenu with 'AVCHD'. From looking at Nero's site, I found the availability of an 'AVCHD Plugin'. I purchased it for $9.99 and tried to get the downloadable file. However, the purchase confirmation email with the download link failed to show up. I called Nero and they told me that the Nero 5 Vision does not come with the AVCHD capability anymore and this plugin will not work with Nero 5 Vision. Nero tech said that the only way to get the AVCHD capability is to purchase Nero 9 and I will also need to purchase the AVCHD plugin.

This puts a crink in trying out the process. I don't know yet if I want to go through the upgrade to Nero 9.

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary,

That is a little naughty of Nero, I hope that they will refund the money you paid for the plugin.

I don't have that problem though because I use version 9 and that does include Nero Vision 5 (together with the AVCHD option)

Ron

Hi Gary,

That is a little naughty of Nero, I hope that they will refund the money you paid for the plugin.

I don't have that problem though because I use version 9 and that does include Nero Vision 5 (together with the AVCHD option)

Ron

================

Ronnie... Yes, they have been bad boys. The tech guy said I'd have to purchase the AVCHD plugin to do something with the AVCHD. The connection was not good so I am not sure what he was referring to. But I think that they have removed the AVDHD option in Vision 5s so that we'd have to purchase the AVCHD plugin. I don't know for sure. Maybe I'll download the trial version and take a look. I'll let you know if I do this and the results.

Yes, they said they will credit my credit card for the plugin purchase.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Ron

===============

Ronnie,

Ok...I downloaded/installed the Trial version of Nero 9. I did notice that on their webpage they say: "AVCHD authoring and playback as well as MPEG-4 and BD-AV formats are not supported in the Nero 9 trial version.". Gee, thanks Nero!!!

I opened the Nero 9 program and looked for the AVDHD menu. It now does not have the 'Nero Vision 5' menu as show in your PFD (or in my Nero 8 version). The 'new' Nero 9 has the following menu items with the heading of 'Nero 9' (not 'Nero Vision 5'):

-Make DVD

-Make AVCHD

-Make Blu Ray Disc

When I click on any of these, it tells me I have to purchase the full version. So there is no way of testing the AVCHD process with the trial version. And since they are selling the AVCHD plugin for $9.99 additionally, that only works with Nero 9, they are certainly trying to squeeze few more bucks from us. :(

Gary