WnSoft Forums

Opening file in PSE8 ( SOLVED )

JEB

Hi,

Can anybody help please?

I am running XP.

Recently I have not been able to open files into Photoshop Elements 8 by double clicking or right clicking and selecting “Open with...” either while in PTE, any other program or even the desktop. This has never been a problem before. I have not changed anything to my knowledge. Been running PSE8 for some months and problem only appeared in past week or so. I have opened the MS Folder Options dialogue box and find that I can't locate PSE8 in the recommended or other program lists. The only way I am able to open a file is from within PSE8.

I've not tried to re-install PSE8 yet as that sounds a bit extreme before exhausting other options.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Regards,

John

Hi,

Immediate panic over!

On further investigation I dragged the shortcut to PSE8 from my desktop into the "Open With.." dialogue box. It would only go into the Other Programs section not the Recommended section. I then was able to locate PSE8 in Folder Options and point JPEG, CS, PNG to PSE8 so it now works much as it should. However PSE8 remains listed only as an Other Program not as a Recommended Program as was the case before. But I can live with that!

Any ideas or thoughts would be interesting.

Regards

John

Peter,

It is XP, Vista and W7 compatible.

Also it was working ok for some time.

Ken,

I will do so in time but on the off chance that somebody comes up with an explanation I will give it another 24 hours if that's ok.

I'll then have to find out how to apply the solved indicator!!!

Regards

John

PS Ken I bet we've got more snow than you this year. We had another 4 inches on Friday, that after a brief respite. It started on 17th December and has been white around here (south of Edinburgh) ever since then.

Guest Yachtsman1

Peter,

It is XP, Vista and W7 compatible.

Also it was working ok for some time.

Ken,

I will do so in time but on the off chance that somebody comes up with an explanation I will give it another 24 hours if that's ok.

I'll then have to find out how to apply the solved indicator!!!

Regards

Jeb

Edit your post & type fixed next to the title.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

John

PS Ken I bet we've got more snow than you this year. We had another 4 inches on Friday, that after a brief respite. It started on 17th December and has been white around here (south of Edinburgh) ever since then.

John,

Recently I have not been able to open files into Photoshop Elements 8 by double clicking or right clicking and selecting “Open with...” either while in PTE,

It would seem your image file extentions have no program association or lost the ability to open by default in Photoshop Elements. Your easiest method to restore or create their association is to open your Photoshop Elements and set the image file associations which is normally found in the program menu bar under the name of user options or program settings. I dont have Photoshop Elements to explain precisely the menu names procedure ... but most image editor programs have such a menu function. Just select the image extentions you wish to associate with Photoshop Elements when you double-click the file.

There are other methods to set file association using Windows Folder Options-File Types. However ... many pc users seem to avoid this method Windows offers because they dont fully understand this process. This method does offer the knowledgeable user flexable/custom ways for opening files with double-click and right-click options.