WnSoft Forums

AVG

Just heads up

In my emails this morning I have two contacts reporting another problem with AVG which is picking up some PTE shows as containing a virus. One is added below

I am not sure whether you want to know this but AVG Anti Virus is yet again finding a virus in some of your pictures to exe AVs. I have on my computer some of your AVs which you offer as free downloads and according to a recent AVG scan the following contain a Trojan horse BackDoor Hupigon5.ARYN virus. pasteinto.exetempleof the sences.exeJack Frost.exeBlack Country 2.exe Hopefully these are all false positives but I think you might wish to know this is happening.

Hi Barry,

Yes you are on the Ball ~ this is happening with nearly all Anti-Virus Vendors who are introducing

their 2009/2010 versions of their Software now containing (so-called) Internet Security Suites which

flag all Exe's and legitimate Scripts not approved by the Microsoft accreditation process. This is a

'blatent' Sales gimmick distorting the Microsoft process and effectively trying to say that your PC

Firewalls are useless so buy our product for extra protection !!!

Below is a 'Clip' from the Kaspersky Labs Forum proving my statement when it concerns the PTE Exe

Slideshow if zipped with the UPX-Packer.

(This applies to any direct Web-Downloads or downloads from CDs or DVD's or otherwise).

Brian (Conflow)

post-1416-126809929857_thumb.png

Guest Yachtsman1

My AVG has been asking me to update or upgrade for the last 10 days, to date I have ignored it. However the notice is headed "TIME IS RUNNING OUT" which is obviously a frightener. Will PTE advise when it is safe to update/upgrade or shall I continue to ignore. Yesterday I copied 18GB of PTE work in progress/exe files to my separate HD in anticipation something could go wrong :ph34r:

Yachtsman1.

Eric

ver 8 is likely running out for updates

and ver 9 has been out since last fall

from my log -- Grisoft AVG Ver.9.0 bld. 698 installed on 3 systems November 7, 2009

be selctive in what you install - i did not install /enable the 'Internet-Protection Program'

tell your box builder not to install antivirus in your new box without consulting you - you can decide whether you are going to stick with avg - i would stay with it

you better search the forum for the various entries re anti virus and print them or consolidate the points for reference

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Ken

It's on my spec no anti virus or trial software to be installed. Can't see the point of them bringing our devices that aren't friendly, its a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. :angry:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1