WnSoft Forums

More XP Woes

Guest Yachtsman1

Hopefully Eric by the time both my XP computers need replacement (drives or otherwise) Windows 7 or whatever is next will have had all the Service packs 1. 2 and 3 etc well installed and established.

I truly love my XP even though it took a while after Windows 98.

Long live XP.

Anthony

Possibly not the end of the world just yet. Here are the final paragraphs of the report.

Neil

To help Windows XP cope, advanced format drives will be able to pretend they still use sectors 512 bytes in size.

When reading data from a drive this emulation will go unnoticed. However, said Mr Burks, in some situations writing data could hit performance.

In some cases the drive will take two steps to write data rather than one and introduce a delay of about 5 milliseconds.

"All other things being equal you will have a noticeable hard drive reduction in performance," said Mr Burks, adding that, in some circumstances, it could make a drive 10% slower.

In a bid to limit the misalignment, hard drive makers are producing software that ensures 512 sectors line up with 4K ones.

Those most likely to see the performance problems are those building their own computers or swapping out an old drive for one that uses the new format.

Hi Guys,

There's an awful lot more to this than meets the eye ??...Most HD-Manufacturers are mechanical-engineering

companies who make or buy-in the 'electronic-circuits' to match their drives and those circuits must-match

the Computer Data-Bus which reads those HD-Drives. Against this background we have the 'expected' epoch

and arrival of the 'Solid-State Memory Drive'...No Hard-Disc and No moving Parts...which spells out the demise

of the Hard-Disc Drive as we know it. Three years ago on this Forum I mentioned this new-product which was

then in development and last year Steve Jobs (Apple-Mac) brought out the 1st.80Gb version of the New-SSD.

Within the next 2 years we will have a 500Gb version of it and that can be read as fast as your u-Processors

can read it...and thats a lot faster than 4.k blocks. Eventually it will be a lot cheaper and more reliable that

any Hard-Drive. The Mechanical HD-Drive people know this and the above BBC-Report is their answer to this

new 'technological threat'....wait a few years and buy a new SSD-Drive ~ you won't regret that decision.

Brian (Conflow)

Absolutely right Brian.

Also with an external SSD running on USB3 many functions which are a little problematic now will be a breeze. Bring it on.

Hi John,

We seem to be 'like-minded' about these future developments and for my interests I have been

researching 'Emulators' in particular an Emulator which can run Mac-Files-on-Windows PC's.

Some time ago I came across a brilliant Engineer called 'Darek Miholka' who was a Developer

at Microsoft and now with Intel-Semiconductor and what this man can do with Processors is

nearly unbelievable.

You need to find out for yourself viz:-

Link:- http://www.emulators.com/secrets.htm

Here (below) is a PDF as to what the future is with SSD Drives and you might also like to

read how to make an advanced PC with the Intel 'Atom-2' Procesor Board for less than $100.

Its all there, enjoy...

Brian.

(Conflow)

Emulators-2.pdf