WnSoft Forums

Serving BLT

LumenLux

BLT_120x80.jpg Download at Serving BLT or at Beechbrook

"If I could describe it all in words, I wouldn't have to pack a camera." ;)

I'm reminded of the quote by our recent discussion as we try to make our presentation notices more useful. I agree the suggestions can be implemented for everyone's benefit. But I hope that people will still be open to the "thrill of discovery" that can come with watching even the "unexpected." Once a potential viewer get's past the constraint of download size, there is very little risk as long as the exit switch (fire escape route) is known.

The recent discussion did prompt me to question myself as to "purpose". I think "purpose" can be purpose for creating the show, and purpose for posting the show. In this instance, a few of my purposes come to mind.

PTE is a very enjoyable way to view photography. I enjoy taking (way too many) photos and PTE puts some in a form where they will more likely be seen after the shutter is clicked. PTE allows me to express further a level of creativity that photography incubates. My list could go on and on, and eventually lose you all. So this presentation is made because of the beautiful scenery that has surrounded my 43 years of marriage. This anniversary journey via PTE is made specifically for my wife and myself. When I experience anything "great", "special" or even "pleasant" I like to share it. So I hope you might enjoy it! For my part, I will be further "rewarded" if you express any kind of reaction to the experience!

I'm reminded of the quote by our recent discussion as we try to make our presentation notices more useful. I agree the suggestions can be implemented for everyone's benefit. But I hope that people will still be open to the "thrill of discovery" that can come with watching even the "unexpected." Once a potential viewer get's past the constraint of download size, there is very little risk as long as the exit switch (fire escape route) is known.

The recent discussion did prompt me to question myself as to "purpose". I think "purpose" can be purpose for creating the show, and purpose for posting the show. In this instance, a few of my purposes come to mind.

PTE is a very enjoyable way to view photography. I enjoy taking (way too many) photos and PTE puts some in a form where they will more likely be seen after the shutter is clicked. PTE allows me to express further a level of creativity that photography incubates. This list could go on and on, and eventually lose you all. So this presentation is made because of the beautiful scenery that has surrounded my 43 years of marriage. This anniversary journey via PTE is made specifically for my wife and myself. When I experience anything "great", "special" or even "pleasant" I like to share it. So I hope you might enjoy it! For my part, I will be further "rewarded" if you express any kind of reaction to the experience!

Hi LumenLux,

Very nice show! The images are terrific. I like the composition, sharpness, and color (strong, but not over-saturated.) The music complemented it well. The images filled my 1920 x 1200 screen perfectly.

While I'm quite new to PTE, I'll offer a suggestion anyway. It looked to me that the pan on the first slide was done with "Linear" selected in Animation of O&A. Lin's tutorial demonstrates that using "Smooth" would have resulted in a more gentle stop at the end. Yours wasn't actually a jolting stop, so I may have this wrong.

Nice work!

Don

PTE is a very enjoyable way to view photography. I enjoy taking (way too many) photos and PTE puts some in a form where they will more likely be seen after the shutter is clicked. PTE allows me to express further a level of creativity that photography incubates. My list could go on and on, and eventually lose you all. So this presentation is made because of the beautiful scenery that has surrounded my 43 years of marriage. This anniversary journey via PTE is made specifically for my wife and myself. When I experience anything "great", "special" or even "pleasant" I like to share it. So I hope you might enjoy it! For my part, I will be further "rewarded" if you express any kind of reaction to the experience!

Robert -

Congratulations on the 43 years. The show has beautiful images, but it was tainted for me because it didn't end well. The music stopped and the last image of the river remained. It wouldn't go away until I finally hit the escape key. I thought maybe the first time I downloaded it something went wrong. So I downloaded it again with the same problem. Was this effect by design?

Regards,

Dave

Thank you Don, Mark, and Dave for your early comments, compliments, and suggestions!

While I'm quite new to PTE, I'll offer a suggestion anyway. It looked to me that the pan on the first slide was done with "Linear" selected in Animation of O&A. Lin's tutorial demonstrates that using "Smooth" would have resulted in a more gentle stop at the end. Yours wasn't actually a jolting stop, so I may have this wrong.

Nice work!

Don

Dave you spotted really quickly the "moderately" abrupt halt to the long pan of the first slide. I normally try to remember that the "smooth" setting is often more pleasing. On this sequence, I tried smooth and then decided linear worked better. Initially I was bothered by the stop, but as I considered the overall choreography with the music, I concluded it was ok. I think also, the degree of abruptness may depend on the graphic power of the viewer's computer. If the graphics can't keep up with the synchronized sound,it can get jerky. (Lin, please tell me if I am wrong on that.) Based on your observation, Don, I have revisited the situation, and changed to "smooth" setting. But I didn't change it without learning a few things first. :) I'll try to share a point or two that were unexpected by me.

With the Linear setting: Slide #1 Pan movement ends at 36.017 seconds. At 41.69s, opacity is 100%. At 54.0sec, opacity reaches 0. (54 seconds is 6 seconds into Slide #2.

With the Smooth setting: Slide #1 Pan movement ends at 54.00 seconds! So the visual movement is actually 18 seconds longer than on Linear. In this case, that means that the last 6 seconds are actually happening underneath Slide #2 and opacity is near 0. This means of course that the end of the panned photo is not seen along with the abruptness not being seen.

The above situation can be "tinkered" in many ways, but all changes effect several aspects as they interact with position, speed, opacity, and the music. After trying several variations, I have concluded to use the Smooth setting! So see what fun you have instigated. :) Of course the actual change is little effort and the revision is in the current file for downloading. Side note is, the Smooth setting always did give me a smoother start to the pan. I was too lazy to customize the pan setting start, but now the Smooth setting helps that as well. So thanks again.

The show has beautiful images, but it was tainted for me because it didn't end well. The music stopped and the last image of the river remained. It wouldn't go away until I finally hit the escape key. I thought maybe the first time I downloaded it something went wrong. So I downloaded it again with the same problem. Was this effect by design?

Regards,

Dave

Yes, the "last slide remain on screen" was intentionally selected. But I decided now that for typical viewers it is confusing and so I have done a fade-to-black ending. Part of my original reasoning was to leave the last image on screen so the viewer could digest the "sublte" color change between the last two (otherwise identical) slides. But finally, I don't want to leave a bad "taint" in your mouth.

Thanks again for the helpful reactions that have been shared.

Hi LumenLux,

I do agree that the panning started and ended reasonably gently in your first posted version. In fact, I could not notice any jolting at the beginning and had to review the end of that pan a couple of times to determine if you had used smooth. Minor issue. I do like your adjusted version better, as the smoothness is more in keeping with the general fell of the show.

In a related note, I tried to download your show from Beechbrook but could not. I found the thumbnail of it at Beechbrook, clicked the link, but got a "We're sorry..." message indicating that it was not on their server. I've attached a screenshot of the message to this post.

Nice work on the slideshow. I'm still working my way there.

Don

post-7261-126843306865_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If I am willing to grovel can I get some more feedback/input here? Or have I done too much of that already? :) Seriously, I would very much appreciate some additional comment from those that have viewed this sequence. I'm not suggesting that every one that views needs to feel some obligation to comment. I just want to clarify again that in my case, every observation you might have, would be appreciated. If you simply do, or do not, "like" this or that about method or content - I'd love to hear it. If you have an idea that you might have used, and don't mind revealing it - there might be others that would also like to hear it. Finally, I am convinced that we can all learn from everybody here - and here is an opportunity to do it. I'm just sayin' . . .