WnSoft Forums

Sound Card vs Amplifier

JEB

Hi,

I am about to have a new PC built and was wondering about the sound card. Presently I use an amplifier and speakers (big beast - was part on an old domestic Music Center) for shows in large halls. It gets plugged into the headphone socket of my PC and gives me control of R+L balance, base, treble and creates a wonderful sound. I was wondering if any of these fancy gaming sounblaster type cards would do the same job. I came across the following as an example but don't understand the lingo. If anybody has any experience in this department I would be most grateful for your views.

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

Technical Specifications

* 24-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion of analog inputs at 96kHz sample rate 24-bit

* Analog-to-Digital conversion of analog inputs at 96kHz sample rate 24-bit

* Digital-to-Analog conversion of stereo digital sources at 192kHz to stereo output 16-bit to 24-bit

* recording sampling rates: 8,11.025,16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz

* ASIO 2.0 support at 16bit/44.1kHz, 16-bit/48kHz, 24-bit/44.

* 1kHz 24-bit/48kHz and 24-bit/96kHz with direct monitoring

* Enhanced SoundFont support at up to 24-bit resolution

* 64MB of X-RAM

* Connectivity (Sound Card)

o Mic In/Line In

o Headphone/Front Left & Right Speaker

o Output Side Left & Right Speaker

o Output Center/Sub

o Output Rear Left & Right Speaker

o Output Optical Digital SPDIF

o Output Optical Digital SPDIF Input

o Intel HD Front Panel Header

* X-Fi I/O Drive connectors Connectivity (X-Fi I/O Drive)

o Mic In AUX in

o Headphone Output

Regards

John

John,

It is my understanding that soundcards for PCs deliver "line level" signals via their jack sockets (the same kind of signal levels that you find passing between the separate items of an old-fashioned, multi-box hi-fi system. Therefore you always need amplification of this signal. For A-V shows that means either an amplifier and passive speakers or a pair of active speakers (speakers in which one of the housings includes an amplifier).

If you're going to be at Snods Edge on Saturday we can have a chat there and post a summary of our discussions; if not, we can keep this dialogue going on the forum.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Jeb

The spec I passed on contains a Hi-Definition 7.1 premium quality audio chipset which I think is part of the motherboard. I think this will pass a surround sound signal through a surround sound amplifier. I had one of these when we lived in Spain & the sound was fantastic, but I'm not sure how that would suit AV, probably raise some eyebrows :unsure:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

...Hi-Definition 7.1 premium quality audio chipset ...will pass a surround sound signal through a surround sound amplifier...but I'm not sure how that would suit AV, probably raise some eyebrows...

Just think of all those trip hazards (= cables) in a large hall. How's your Liability Insurance?

regards,

Peter