WnSoft Forums

PTE & Audacity at the same time?

Ednys

Hello everyone.

I am trying to create a rather complicated voice over for a short bit of fun I wish to create for our club. :D

What I am trying to do is record a voice over with some added bits of sound effects, but, to help me get the main body of the voice over the right length etc I am trying to run the PTE show I am creating in preview mode and trying to record on Audacity at the same time.

This is to help me get everything in the right place and leave the spaces for some additional sound effects.

I start the preview in pte and then click record on Audacity this hangs the pte preview up. When I stop the record, pte carry's on.

Is this to do with the two progs running at the same time?

Is it to do with my computer?

Is there a work around? or do I have to use my laptop to create the recording whilst playing the preview on the main computer.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Glenys

Guest Yachtsman1

I would suggest it is computer resource. Two computers sounds the easiest way, or you could try making an Exe file of the show and runnig that at the same time as audacity in record mode. If you have less than 10GB free on your C drive & at least 2GB of ram, you are going to struggle.

Yachtsman1 :unsure:

One other quick question if anyone can help.

I have created my main exe file, but wish to finish be using a follow on exe file. I know how to tell the first file to run and external application, and it works as long as it is on the computer that it is created on.

My problem is that it will be run on a different computer at the club and the first application will not be able to find the second exe file because I do not know what drive etc my pen drive will be on that other computer.

Is there a way around this problem please? <_<

Thank you

Glenys

Guest Yachtsman1

I have created my main exe file, but wish to finish be using a follow on exe file. I know how to tell the first file to run and external application, and it works as long as it is on the computer that it is created on.

My problem is that it will be run on a different computer at the club and the first application will not be able to find the second exe file because I do not know what drive etc my pen drive will be on that other computer.

Thank you

Glenys

If both exe files are on a pen drive/ memory stick, they should run on any computer. If you want the second exe file to start after the first one finishes with no further action from you, that is a different matter, need a little more explanation of what you want.

Yachtsman1

Create both exe-files (show1.exe and show2.exe) with the same version of PTE. On the machine where the shows shall run, place both shows into the same folder. When creating the first show (show1.exe): Go to the Project options, More-Tab, and select the feature Run slideshow on exit; type "show2.exe" on the right hand side.

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Glenys,

You can edit the path in "Customize Slide" so that it simply says "\executablenamehere.exe" (place the name of the executable application where I have typed executablenamehere) and be sure to place that executable code in the root (not in a folder) on your pen drive.

By taking out drive designators, PTE will simply look for the executable code on the same device it is being played on. This "should" solve your problem and allow PTE to find the external application.

I would test the program on another computer to be certain that your syntax is correct before the real event.

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you

Glenys

Lin,

Thanks for your help.

I have tried to do that by customizing the last slide as you suggested (if it is the last one that you meant).

Both the exe files are on my pen drive, and I have tried it on my lap top. The first exe file is still stopping and not opening the second one.

Now will it make a difference that the second .exe file has been made on an older version of PTE, that is why I am using run external application rather than slide show. I know it works on the main computer when I instructed it to find it on the drive etc.

Although I have put the instruction into the customize part of the last slide to run the next application. Should I or should I not have the same instruction in the Project option more section.

I do know that I could run them as two separate shows by just clicking on the second one when the first one has finished but I really wanted to try to get the second on to run straight off without that intervention by me. I may not be showing it. It may be another person...

Glenys

Glenys,

I've got the impression that in version 6 the feature of running external applications via "Customize Slide" does not work. Try to start your second show via the project options (run application on exit). The result will look better, if it will be possible to create both shows with the same version, using the command: Run slideshow on exit.

Regards,

Xaver