WnSoft Forums

resizing of RAW files

claudia26

Because I consider myself a pretty average person and I certainly don't know all the answers. I am never comfortable with the "Expert" title. It assumes you do have all the answers and ........rolleyes.gif ........gulp some experts don't seem to know an awful lot about the software and techniques they are labelled expert in. There are also a large number of ways to do some things, none are right or wrong, just a preferred course.

Perhaps you should have asked another question such as who makes the decision on who merits these acolades such as "Expert" ?

I am sure it's not the moderators, so I guess it is derived from the number of posts a person makes. If that is right, then what do you think? Does writing a lot makes a person an expert?

From a technical standpoint I don't consider myself very strong in that area, be it PTE, Photoshop or any other software. Having said that I don't think that you don't need to be a technical wizard to use modern software, that's what the software developers do for us. I think I can hold my own from a practical use standpoint, but "Expert" just doesn't feel right to me.

There are far too many experts if you ask me and over the years (not referring to anyone on this forum) I have leaned that most couldn't find their way out of a paper bag.laugh.gif

Hi Barry,

I agree with Colin that colorspaces are very relevant. You say your work is all in aRGB. Thats fine as long as you work on them in PS for example, and you set PS to use the aRGB colorspace as workingspace. However, aRGB has a wider gamut then sRGB. That means that using aRGB in aplications that uses sRGB you will lose colors and maybe more! So Colin is right when he advises you to convert your work for use in PtE to the sRGB colorspace.

Because my workflow starts with RAW/NEF images, and RAW images do not have a colorspace, I have to think about the use of my images. For publishing on internet or for use in PtE I convert them to jpg with the colorspace set to sRGB. When I like to retouch or put in effects in PS I work in the wides colorspace possible: ProPhoto. Because my printer goes as far as sRGB, PS (and Lighroom) will convert those "out of gamut" colors correctly for sRGB. You can see the out of gamut colors with the PROOFING option in PS.

My strategy: working on images in the largest colorspace and change the colorspace for the specific use afterwards.

Kind regards,

André

Andre

You can make colour space as important to your workflow as you like, my point here has been largely missed I think or members are keeping their heads down. A bit of controversy often gets the forum buzzing. rolleyes.gif. I was trying to say what I meant without offending anyone and that is difficult sometimes.

Colour space is the least of the problems that AV enthusiasts have.

I have always assumed (a dangerous thing :) ) that most of the participants in the forum were interested in Photography in its broadest sense and not just AV. I think Barry you have a point. AVs must have good quality images, assembled in an "artistic" way and shown with a suitable piece of music or other sound track. Getting this right is fundamental. I do however think that it is important not to just ignore other aspects. If you do not want to get into the technicalities of colour management that is fine. As I said in my post I have seen many excellent AVs and printed images where I know people have worked in sRGB throughout but.....

If one takes a RAW image ( I believe you advocate shooting in RAW.) and converts it using Adobe RAW, Lightroom, Aperture and CaptureOne one can actually see differences in the way that the converters manage colour. Does it matter? Probably not to the majority.

If RAW images are opened in Adobe RGB or sRGB some colour information is discarded. ProPhoto retains much more information. The more colour editing that is done the greater the benefit in a larger colour space. As Andre says conver after the manipulation. Images from Lightroom are also 16 bit. Does it matter? Probably not to the majority.

People who are interested in making large colour prints with very smooth colour gradations will benefit from taking care with colour management issues, and Andre's work flow would be a sensible one to adopt.

Perhaps this PTE forum is not the right one for discussing this type of technical issue. Anyone who wants to really get into the subject should have a look at:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/

This is a great site for many things photographic and it has lots of information on RAW processing and Colour Management. WARNING!! The latter is not for the feint hearted, it sometimes gets very technical and I only understand a few words.

I am, by the way, sometimes eternally grateful for the technical experts who participate in this forum. How else would my sound problem have been solved? I am however also grateful to those who help me improve my skills in an artistic direction - they need help too.

Each unto his own as they say.

Kind regards

Peter