WnSoft Forums

Sizing of slides for PTE

Steph

Hello! I am confused by conflicting advice I have had about how to size my images for a sldeshow.

Some people say to size all my images to 1024x768 pixels and the resolution and size doesnt matter. But I would have thought a higher resolution would have given a better quality image when the images are enlarged to fill the screen.

Please could you clarify the optimum settings I need to use.

Thanks

Steph

steph

i deleted your duplicate entry

against all theory i take the jpegs from camera and resize to

1354/900 - at 80% compression - resulting size is 250 to 300 kb

and let pte do it's thing

Lakeland lass has had wonderfull results with I believe 1980/1080

if you have the computer power - i have used jpegs from the camera - no resize - 2.5 to 3.75 mb each - 2560/1920 and let p2e do it's thing

experiment

Steph,

The only thing that matters is how many pixels wide and how many pixels high. The resolution values, usually expressed as "dots per inch" or "pixels per inch" are relevant only to the printing process. For an image that is displayed on a PC monitor or that is projected through a digital projector the resolution (in terms of dpi or ppi) is totally irrelevant.

Go to the "Frequently asked questions" part of the forum and you will find much useful advice, including this item on image size: http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10515

regards,

Peter

Hello Steph,

There has been much discussion on this topic and you can read all about it by searching the forum.

However, you will probably not be much the wiser because there are so many different points of view.

I wrote a tutorial a while back, called 'You first PTE Slide Show' It might help you to understand a little better if you read that.

Please send me your email address and I will send you a copy.

Ron West

The following questions need to be answered:

What is the size of your monitor?

Are you going to project via a projector?

Are you going to post your shows so that anyone can download?

If your monitor is the highest priority then that's your optimum size - the NATIVE (maximum) resolution of your monitor. That's what your monitor should be set to. The resolution you use can be bigger, but not smaller than your monitor res for full screen viewing. Your images also need to be bigger to perform zooms etc.

If projecting via a projector then the res of the projector is your priority. Normal projector sizes are 1024x768, 1400x1050 or 1920x1080. The resolution you use can be bigger, but not smaller than your projector res for full screen viewing. Your images also need to be bigger to perform zooms etc.

If posting for others to download then it might be advisable to take into account the maximum resolution / aspect ratio that your show might encounter without your knowledge. The max monitor res in NORMAL use is 1920x1200. There are higher res monitors but these are not encountered as often.

My monitor is 1920x1200 and I use the 16:9 (1920x1080) option so that as well as fitting to my monitor any show I produce is going to fit to screen without being upsized on 90% of the monitors that they are likely to encounter. They will also fit to screen on any of the three aforementioned projectors. My images are then 1920x1080 plus any percentage required for zooming. By only using larger res images for the ones that have a zoom element applied the overall file size is kept down.

Tell us about your monitor - resolution? aspect ratio? is it set to NATIVE res?

DG

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Steph,

There has been much discussion on this topic and you can read all about it by searching the forum.

However, you will probably not be much the wiser because there are so many different points of view.

I wrote a tutorial a while back, called 'You first PTE Slide Show' It might help you to understand a little better if you read that.

Please send me your email address and I will send you a copy.

Ron West

Thanks for all your replies but there does seem to be differences of opinion! I would like copy of Ron's tutorial please as I am still very much a beginner with PTE. My email is stephanieadams520@hotmail.com Thanks

Steph.

Hi Steph

Its not a good idea to put your email address on a public site. Send Ron a personal message,

Yachtsman1

I agree with you, that is why I asked Steph to send me an email.

Steph, I have sent you a copy of the tutorial to the email address that you posted.

Ron