WnSoft Forums

Fonts Won't Display Properly, v6.0.0

cgbraggjr

I haven't been working with PTE for a while, and I find that choosing a True Type font for comments gives me nonsense comments. It's like using a character set that the computer doesn't know. I've searched the forums but can't find any answers (and I bet it's simple).

Help please? Thanks ....

Peter - PTE version 6.0.0. Some fonts make it and some don't. I've tried to find a common thread and it *seems* as if the bad fonts came from Corel Draw. I'm attaching screenshots of one font that worked (Arial) and two that didn't (Algiers and Bard). I'm also attaching a zip file of the two failed TTF fonts in case you want to try them.

These 'failed' fonts work just fine in all my WP programs, so I'm guessing there is a [backwards?] compatibility problem with PTE. I found what claimed to be a clean Algiers TTF file on the web, but that one gave me a divide by zero error in PTE. Very mysterious.

Thanks - Argo

post-5501-127447263041_thumb.jpg

post-5501-127447265168_thumb.jpg

post-5501-127447275567_thumb.jpg

TTF.zip

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Argo

Are you aware that the fonts you mentioned Algiers & Bard are not listed in the fonts sections of project options, comments, section?

Yachtsman1 :unsure:

Argonaut,

I just tested your zip of fonts on XP_SP2 ... and both worked just fine. I first had to Install them to the Windows Font folder.

You might want to verify if the fonts are actually installed in the Windows Font folder or are they linked to another directory.

post-45-127448160434_thumb.jpg

Peter - PTE version 6.0.0. Some fonts make it and some don't. I've tried to find a common thread and it *seems* as if the bad fonts came from Corel Draw. I'm attaching screenshots of one font that worked (Arial) and two that didn't (Algiers and Bard). I'm also attaching a zip file of the two failed TTF fonts in case you want to try them.

These 'failed' fonts work just fine in all my WP programs, so I'm guessing there is a [backwards?] compatibility problem with PTE. I found what claimed to be a clean Algiers TTF file on the web, but that one gave me a divide by zero error in PTE. Very mysterious.

Thanks - Argo

Hello Argo,

I have no problem in PTE v6 with the TTF fonts. Not with Algiers, not with Bard. See screenshot Bard:

Greetings,

Cor

post-539-1274481628,44_thumb.jpg

To all - the fonts are indeed physically located in c:\windows\fonts. I deleted Algiers and then reinstalled it using Fonts in the Control Panel - no joy. Since you guys are able to use the fonts, I guess it's peculiar to my setup. I've got Pagemaker and InDesign along with a few word processors and many graphics programs. Maybe one of them is controlling fonts in some weird way.

Oy.

Hi Argonaut,

Yes it is true, some Graphics-Programs certainly change Font-Formats to suit particular applications. However if you look

at the 'Comments-Window' in Pte.6xx you will note that 4 True-Type Fonts are the preferred fonts for comments (Screenshot).

You might like to consider or experiment with other options but be warned there are limitations to these selections as shown

in 2 other Screenshots attached below.

I hope this help you in sorting out your problem.

Brian (Conflow)

post-1416-12744902148_thumb.gif

post-1416-127449022606_thumb.gif

post-1416-127449096785_thumb.gif

Brian - I'm not sure how the setup for Internet Explorer will have any affect on PTE. Am I missing something? These fonts are working in every app I have *except* PTE. Also, the area above the border line in my PTE contains the names of most recent fonts. I can't believe they are 'preferred fonts' - half of them fail to display.

I have run with the "Show only TrueType" box checked and unchecked - makes no difference. I am currently deleting all fonts but the Windows system fonts and will see if an infinite number of reboots and reinstallations helps.

I have tried unloading (deleting) all but MS fonts from the font directory, and reinstalling using a utility called AMP Font Viewer. I still can't make the 'bad' fonts behave with PTE, but I do see that good and bad display differently in this viewer (the bad ones have line numbers smooshed in with the sample text). I have also read that older TTF fonts (pre 1993) are formatted slightly differently, and all these problem fonts are dated 1992.

So, these fonts really are different in some way. We just don't know why they should affect PTE differently from person to person, or why they work in Word, Pagemaker and so on, but not (for some) in PTE.

Argonaut,

If you have any Font Creator/Editor tools ... you may need only to resave the original font. The files binaries/unicode/platform support were updated.

Yes, this solution works. I downloaded "Type Light" (freeware) and did some 'save as' with the bad files. They now work in PTE. Thanks much for your help!

Nobeefstu & Argonaut,

Nobeef ~ my compliments,your solution to Argonauts' Font problem is a true classic but I am still puzzled

as to how he got the Font binaries/unicode platforms into such a quandary ?. I say this because if his PC

operating system is XP or XP-Sp2 or Xp-Sp3 etc; these binariies would have been automatically refreshed at

each service-pak upgrade and checked again with each auto-update ~ provided auto-update is switched on ?

I am beginning to wonder if parts of his Font-Library were overwritten by some 3rd.party Program such as

for example: Corel-Draw or if he had accidentally installed some "older" 2nd copies of his choice Fonts?

Argonaut might follow this up and let us know how it happened...

Thanks again for that good "tip".

Brian (Conflow)

P.S. By the way, Argonauts Fonts worked perfectly on our PC's.

Brian,

It would be interesting how/why his system does not read the original fonts in PTE. My review of the fonts internals clearly showed the unique font file idetifier as Monotype:Algiers Regular:version1(Corel), Corel possibly also may have played a roll in how the fonts are viewed or used system wide because our systems seemed to have no problem with them when installed.

• 1 year later...

Could I ask someone for help on this font problem?

I'm using PTE 7.0 Beta 14, so this is still a problem there.

Unfortunately, I have the complete selection of the old Corel fonts, and they work everywhere but in PTE.

I downloaded the TypeLight utility, and while it works perfectly for fixing any font where there is only one font in the family, when there is a bold font and a regular font in the family, the bold font does not install correctly, and Windows can't see it in its font directory (even though it is still there).

So I wanted to ask you, Igor, if you could take a quick look and see why this collection of fonts ("unfixed") doesn't work in PTE, while it seems to work everywhere else?

Or perhaps somebody can suggest what I might do to try to get these fonts to install correctly as a family?

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, and that may be why it works for some people and not for others.

I've tried attaching two files of a family to this message, but the forum software says "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file". Is there any way to get around that? I've tried renaming the file, but I get the same error message. So I uploaded the two fonts in the family to 4shared.com (mediafire.com seems to be having problems now). The two URL's are: http://www.4shared.com/file/NaTY3CBc/bangkokb.html and http://www.4shared.com/file/1w9t7Wtd/bangkokn.html for the bold and regular versions of the font, respectively.

Thanks a LOT!

Harold

I figured it out.

TypeLight has a field in the Font Description window where one can enter the font weight. If you have a family of fonts, and you enter "Normal" for non-bold fonts, and "Bold" for bold fonts, everything works out well. Windows adds the fonts correctly, and PTE can use them.

I am leaving this here in case someone else, sometime in the future, has the same problem as I had.

H