WnSoft Forums

Wav music file

MaryFurness

When I attach a .wav music file to a slide show, it shows up as zero time and therefore wont play. Yet it plays well in Windows media player.

I have no trouble getting a MP3 file to attach and play.

Am I doing something wrong??

Help please. I have attached the offending file.

Mary

Mary,

This is a fairly common occurence. The simplest solution is to open the WAV file in a sound editor program such as Audacity (free from http://audacity.sourceforge.net) and then Export it as either a WAV or an MP3 file. There are different types of WAV and not all of them work properly with PTE.

regards,

Peter

P.S.

Attaching a file is a three step process:

- use the Browse button to select the source file on your PC

- use the Attach This File button to upload a copy of the file to the forum's server

- add the uploaded file to the post using the Add to Post link which will appear over to the right on the line that gives the details of the file

Mary,

Mary,

This is a fairly common occurence. The simplest solution is to open the WAV file in a sound editor program such as Audacity (free from http://audacity.sourceforge.net) and then Export it as either a WAV or an MP3 file. There are different types of WAV and not all of them work properly with PTE.

The offending music files usually come the internet ... such as iTunes and some other downloaded music. Most cases the culprit seems to be how the internal ID tag/info is written to the music file or the encoding process these various vendors use to produce the file. Sometimes its how the original music was copied/ripped.

As Peter suggests ... opening/converting then resaving these troublesome music files using Audacity or some other converters solves the issue. However, some converters out in the market just reproduce the same issue. Choose a converter that always works best for you. So, whenever you experience such a playback issue ... convert it again to verify. Music is a very touchy subject within the industry.

Thanks everyone.

I have hust woken a cklear Australian morning and found your helpful advice. Thanks for taking the time.

I have just comverted the file and Pictures to Exe works wonderfully.

Thanks also for tip about attaching files to my comments.

Simce I am new to PTE I may be back.

See my clubs website on www.bayandbasincameraclub.org.au to see why I need to learn PTO

Cheers Mary

Thanks everyone.

I have hust woken a cklear Australian morning and found your helpful advice. Thanks for taking the time.

I have just comverted the file and Pictures to Exe works wonderfully.

Thanks also for tip about attaching files to my comments.

Simce I am new to PTE I may be back.

See my clubs website on www.bayandbasincameraclub.org.au to see why I need to learn PTO

Cheers Mary

Hi Mary,

Why would you want to use a WAV file? An mp3 is better because it is a reduced file size which will also reduce the overall size of your slide show.

Welcome to our forum and please come back at any time, you will always be very welcome.

Ron

Thank you Ron

I have just realised this.

It happened because I was using a new Zoom H4n digital recoeder to record my friends bagpipe practe (Yes - it's pretty bad) and it came out in .wav format.

I have just discovered how to record in mp3. Even if I do record in wav it will convert it to mp3. It is a great machine.

I am hoping to have time soon to make slide shows.

At the moment I am putting on an exhibition about the naval nbattle of Cape st Vincent for the local maritime museum which is why I am on the computer all the time.

Thanks again mary

Mary,

I thought I would just mention this small point ----

MP3 files are in a lossy format. ie if you manipulate the file in any way and resave it you lose a little quality each time.

Best to work on a file as WAV (this is non lossy and you can play around as often as you like) and when you are sure it's ok convert to MP3 and attach to Project.

Best of luck.

Alan in NE England.

Thanks Alan. i had not thought that through.

I don't know how to work on a music file yet. That is my next task

Msry from chilly Jervis Bay Australia (but I still go in fr a dip)

Mary,

I think Peter mentioned it earlier, but there is a very good free programme called Audacity which will do all you want with a music file. I think Peter also gave you the link to download it.

Living in the NE of England I wonder what your measure of "Chilly" is !!

Whatever it sounds great in your neck of the woods.

Best regards,

Alan