WnSoft Forums

Software to run more than one slideshow

David Allan

Hi to All,

Is there any software available to run more than one slideshow, one after the other without the user having to start them manually.

I used to have a program that did this, I think it was made by someone called Granot, but have lost this in a recent harddrive crash.

Regards: David Allan

Hello David,

May be it's not exactly what you want but there is an option within PTE :

for each last slide of your slideshows, go to Customize Slide and in the Main tab, tick Run exernal application and browse your HD to find the slideshow you want to start.

In addition, you can make a Menu with PTE.

There will be in this menu as many chapters as different slideshows you have.

Actually, this Menu is a standard PTE project. On a slide, you put your thumbnails corresponding to your chapter.

For each of those image objects, in the Objects and Animation window, in the Common tab, choose "Run slideshow..." as Action on mouse click.

If the user want to see directly the third slideshow, he will click on the image corresponding to this chapter.

It's really easy to make.

David,

There are a couple ways to accomplish chained slideshows using just PTE. Using PTE can be made to give you more control ... especially when it comes to exiting out of a series of chained slideshows.

Read this post:

starting a sequence of slideshows - WnSoft Forums

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11806

Its also very easy just to create/make a batch file (.bat) to link your slideshows without the need of any 3rd party tools.

I recently found that whilst preparing a PTE menu I encounted the following problem.

The menu was made using my pc monitor and on completion all sequences launched and ran ok from the menu. However, I also use a 1920 x 1080 lcd tv to show my sequences at home and I found that whilst both my pc monitor and lcd tv were connected and live as dual screens (via XP display properties) on launching sequences from the menu those without animation ran ok whereas those with animation stuttered. By not using the menu and launching each sequence seperately all ran ok in dual screen mode. It was only when launching from the menu that the problem occurred with the animated sequences. By making the lcd tv the primary and only monitor (via display properties) all sequences including those with animation ran ok from the menu. I assume that this indicates I was reaching the limits of my graphics card.

Bearing in mind that you may not always be using your own display equipment, at for example at a club venue, I decided to make a very short looping animated introduction/title sequence (including a colour set up card for projector adjustments) which is launched from the menu. This gives me the opportunity to set up and check that animated sequences will run from the menu with say the laptop screen and projector both on or whether the laptop screen needs to be disabled or even if at worst the menu has to be ditched and each sequence launched seperately. I feel that this is better than finding your prized sequence with animation, possibly half way through an evenings presentation, suddenly stuttering on the screen.

brianh

Brian

menu driven shows used to cause a problem if the hardware acceleration box was checked

you are are using the same version to make the menu and the show?

what versions are you using?

suggest you search forum for hardware acceleration -- you may find a clue

ken

brianh,

Ken's comment above is the most likely the cause of your issue. Its better not to use D3D Hardware Acceleration enabled in your Menu slideshow. The Menu running at the same time is consuming additional D3D power which would be normally fully allocated to a single running slideshow.

Disable the checkbox D3D Hardware Acceleration for Menu projects/exes. Test and verify how your overall project runs now.

I have been asked to run a few slideshows at a local event which have to run for most of the day and I don't have the time to be present all the time the event is on.

Your comment above troubles me if you plan to loop a series of chained slideshows.

Be very careful how you introduce a loop into a chain-link sequence. Is very easy to end up in a endless loop without no way to completely exit the program loop without forcing your pc to shutdown. You must create a loop in such a way that easily allows you to exit playback completely.

Ken, nobeefstu,

Thanks for response.

I currently use version 5.6 but as sequences produced in versions 5,5.5 and 5.6 I have tried menus in all these versions with varying degrees of success, however, you have probably identified my problem because from a quick check it does look like I have the Hardware Acceleration box checked on the menu project/exe.

I will now uncheck and retry and come back if further problems.

As a matter of interest I did not think the version of PTE used for menu and sequence production needed to match because in the past I have been able to launch, from a PTE menu, some early sequences produced with Pro Show Gold and even as far back as my first digital av attempts with a program called Globfx.

brianh

Brian (blackboxAV),

The requirement to use the same version of PTE for the Menu and the target sequences applies only if you use "Run Slideshow" or "Run Slideshow and Return". If you use "Run application..." then you can drive any .exe file from the PTE menu.

regards,

Peter

Thanks for the responses to my particular problem with a menu.

I have remade the menu in 5.6, unchecked the 'Hardware Acceleration' box within the menu project/exe and from initial tests all appears now to be running ok. My menu was already set up using 'Run Application' hence why it previously launched some older non PTE sequences.

brianh

Hi All,

Once again thanks for all the help, and I am still experimenting with the menu option suggested, I have however found the original program by Granot, it is a clever peice of software and is freeware but no longer available on his site.

If anyone would like a copy please feel free to drop me an e-mail at david.allan2@btinternet.com, who know's someone may be able to write an update version.

Regards to All: David

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi All,

Once again thanks for all the help, and I am still experimenting with the menu option suggested, I have however found the original program by Granot, it is a clever peice of software and is freeware but no longer available on his site.

If anyone would like a copy please feel free to drop me an e-mail at david.allan2@btinternet.com, who know's someone may be able to write an update version.

Regards to All: David

David

It's not a good idea to display your email address on a public forum, better to ask anyone who wants the programme to send you a personal message.

Regards yachtsman1 ;)