WnSoft Forums

Show created for Mac-will it play with wav sound files?

goddi

Earlier this year (March), I was having a problem playing an Executable show that was created to play on a Mac. I discovered that if I removed the wav sound files, the problem went away and it then played fine on a Mac. I don't have a Mac handy to do more testing but, at the time, I suggested that this is a 'problem' and hoped that it could be corrected.

I did not receive any further responses so I am not sure where this stands. So my question is will a show now created as an Executable for a Mac that contains wav sound files play without a problem now on a Mac?

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

I'm not familiar with Mac technology but, if you were to convert the sound files to MP3s I'm fairly certain there would be no problems at all (and the file size will be much smaller, too). I have a suspicion that WAV is a file format that is proprietary to the Windows/Intel platform - but I may be wrong.

I await the advice of those who do know the real answer with interest as I will learn something new!

regards,

Peter

Gary,

Barry would give you the best confirmation on the WAV playback issue.

WAV is the standard for Windows based systems ... though it is supported and compatible in Mac. AIFF is the standard for Mac systems.

With all the various encoding changes/additions MS keeps making to its music/sound formats these days ... its probably a chore for Mac and other developers to keep full support to its users with its updates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV

I agree with Peter ... its probably best and wisest to keep with the tried and true MP3.

Gary,

Barry would give you the best confirmation on the WAV playback issue.

WAV is the standard for Windows based systems ... though it is supported and compatible in Mac. AIFF is the standard for Mac systems.

With all the various encoding changes/additions MS keeps making to its music/sound formats these days ... its probably a chore for Mac and other developers to keep full support to its users with its updates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV

I agree with Peter ... its probably best and wisest to keep with the tried and true MP3.

========================

nobeefstu...

I don't remember having seen any caution that wav files would not play in Macs. But since I am a PC person, I am not surprised. I was just experimenting and discovered the problem. It did not dawn on me that there would be any compatibility problems. Most of the wavs that I would use in PTE shows would be small sound effects files. It has been difficult to find a good free program that converts wavs to mp3s but I think I just found one. For anyone who might be interested, here is the link to the free download. I tried it and it works very well:

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/mp3.html?gclid=CIrErMrit6MCFZxo5Qod4gOiag

Thanks, Gary

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom, thank for suggestion.

I play by my mac both files and they go properly.I see that it's necessary some seconds to open. I discoverd, for a case, that my file containing 450 slides,with a vaw audio,555mb, open fast but the audio doesn't play good. Stop and go.

So I converted the audio by itune into mp3 and I substituted it into my PTE project.I converted to get mac exe and I found that it plays almost good ( some time the audio has very short stops), but it takes more than 5 min to start!!

I'l try to send You a part of it by dropbox.com

thank

Giancarlo

Giancarlo,

How large are your image files? Please give both pixel x pixel size and also file size in KB or MB. Stuttering during playback is often a sign of demanding too much from the computer's resources. And large image files will take a long time to load up. I think your problem may be associated with a shortage of resource somewhere.

regards,

Peter

hello guys, i thank everybody for the help that now is successful.

i got my perfect playing mac exe.

I found the origins of the trouble:

• the audio must be mp3! I converted the vaw original one, got mixxing in audacy, by itune. in my experiance the way to get the audio file by file direc in PTE 6.5 doesn't work.
    the audio has to be synchronized with the slide! that is the main problem; I had 458 slides, some of them with panning and zoom, running 45 min and an mp3 audio for the same time; mac needed more the 5 min to syncro itself everything

ciao giancarlo