WnSoft Forums

The Perfect Storm

JSlugman

I've gotten lots of e-mail about a show I did called "The Perfect Storm" so I thought I would answer them here in one message.

1) The photos total about 10 minutes "real" time, with a minute taken to re-load film just after it begins. Exposure was about 13 seconds a frame. I took 7 rolls of film that night over about 4 hours.

2) I was just north of Palmer, Alaska which is about 45 minutes north of Anchorage. This particular sub-storm began about 9pm local time (0600GMT).

3) The last photo was taken about 15 miles south of Palmer along the Knik river and all photos are straight scans off of a Canoscan FS4000US with no color manipulation at all and re-sized in Photoshop.

3) Music is from Studio Cutz, their Orchestra CD. Great production/buy-out music.

Show is at http://beechbrook.com/pte/ and I made the scans small to keep the show size small. Original scans are 120+MB in size.

Hope this answers some questions.

James O'Rear

Anchorage, Alaska

James

Spectacular stuff! You will be the envy of many a photographer around the world (including me!)

It amazes me how different Auroras are different colours, I have seen them Green and Red and Blue. This last one seems to be tending more on the green side.

Down here in the Southern Hemisphere the event has not been as spectacular and on the night of the strongest Aurora we were under cloud :-(

I would love to see your show again but with all the images taken into photoshop and aligned so that from frame to frame the mountains remain in exactley the same position and only the aurora changes. Combine this with long slow continual fades and you would have almost recreated how these auroras actually appear and move to the human eye.

Nice work James!! I think I might have to move to Alaska!

Regards

Andrew

Thanks for the show.

I missed the live version that night.

I thought you had posted some pictures like this about a year ago.

I was going to leave a message to see if you still had them online anywhere.

I did watched your slideshow "Emmalea" because

I knew you had some pictures in it.

cc

Andrew-

Yes, I am working on the exact thing you mentioned about positioning. I have a new slide scanner and I think there's a trick to getting the mounts to line up. Plus, the first three shots were at the end of a roll and I had to move the camera to get a new roll in.

We see lots of greens and teals, I just happend to look to the south over a mountain ridge and saw the faintest bit of red. We have had to worst weather up here this week, tons of clouds and I hear from up north that the action is still pretty amazing. I just got back some print film and have green/red zenith photos, too. If you move up here, it's a rule that you have to go fishing with me. :D

cc-

I did have a similar show posted from last season but I'm re-scanning them to give them full justice. I'm also working on a stills gallery. There are two photos from a storm in March in the Nordly's contest at http://www.northern-lights.no that can be seen if you click through the monthly photo contest section. A new contest starts tomorrow, guess which one I'm entering... :wub:

James O'Rear

Anchorage, Alaska

James

You have a deal on the fishing!

You might be hard pressed to line up slide scans I imagine every slide is not mounted exactly the same as the last and you will always have a tiny amount of out of alignment. But you can of course fix this in photoshop or some such similar.

If you haven't aligned images in photoshop before let me know and I'll post some instructions.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi James,

Just a short one to say that I too enjoyed your "Perfect Storm". I've seen the Northern Lights here in Michigan, but nothing compares to what you have presented. Really an enjoyable piece of work!

Thanks for sharing.

Are the blue-green displays more prevalent than the reds up there?

Cheers,

Andrew,

I'd love to glean anything you have to offer about alignment of the photos in photoshop.

Jim,

Yes, we get quite a bit of the green/teal colors. Reds, purples and blues are the most elusive and why I was so excited to see all the reds in this latest round.

Igor,

Thanks for comment and that site is among my (many) favorites for aurora info.