WnSoft Forums

Crashes- Windows 7 and PTE 6.5.2

Ray Groome

Help! I have a new powerful computer with Windows 7 and I find that every time I change the position of a slide on the Timeline (by dragging) PTE crashes and I have to go to Task Manager to get out of it. All other features of PTE work OK. Any suggestions please? Never had this problem before. All other programs seem to work OK.

Ray Groome,

You may want to read the link provided and follow the remaining #posts from that point to its conclusion that relates to your issue. I have gathered that the freezing issue in Win7 has been resolved ... however It may still be evident for some users.

windows 7 64 bit - starting @ #81 post

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11578&view=findpost&p=75144

Thank you for your suggestion. I found the conclusions in that section rather confusing but it did draw my attention to the importance of the setting in 'View/Advanced Options/ Show real slide in mini player' Igor recommended placing a tick for this option. I found my problem was solved when I removed the tick!

All very confusing.

Is this problem caused by conflict between 64bit Windows 7 and PTE? It needs resolving I think.

Ray Groome,

Is this problem caused by conflict between 64bit Windows 7 and PTE? It needs resolving I think.

I personally believe this has more to do with all the various Desktop/Visual Themes and Taskbar Options Win 7 has to offer. These Visual Themes require and use D3D resources to make the effects possible. PTE also uses D3D in its GUI. There seems to be a conflict or share issue when certain Win 7 Visual Themes settings are enabled. It also seems by the posts/comments to be more relevant in 64 bit vs 32 bit. Since different users use/set their own Visual Themes to their likeing ... using/selecting a different Visual Theme/Taskbar options than your currently selected may resolve the issue in your particular case.

I found my problem was solved when I removed the tick!

In essence ... you have disabled D3D resources to the Mini-player which now no longer displays all the slide objects.

I would read this post ... and as a test, apply the actions used. Enable (Tick) back again the Mini-player and verify results.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11578&view=findpost&p=74125

Note:

As a test ... its also possible to disable Visual Themes on a individual program basis. This allows you to use your normal Win 7 Visual Themes settings and is only disabled when a selected program is active.

To disable Visual Themes usage when using PTE ... right-click the PicturesToExe.exe from its installed program directory, click Compatibility tab and enable or tick the checkbox Disable Visual Themes. Win7 may also offer other specific features to disable. Test and verify results.

nobeefstu

Amazing! You are right. I changed from the Aero Themes on my Desktop to a Basic Theme and the problem disappeared. I would never have thought of that solution. Many thanks!

I also tried adjusting the Properties/ Compatibility settings for the PTE program as you suggested and I had to disable both the 'Visual Themes' and the 'Desktop Composition' settings before the problem was resolved when using an Aero Theme.

(I am operating 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium)

• 2 weeks later...

Ray,

Indeed this problem should not occur even if you use Aero theme in Windows 7. Probably it's a bug in Windows or in PicturesToExe.

What version of PicturesToExe do you use?

Is it possible to reproduce this crashing if you dragging slides in Slide list mode? For example move first slide to a position between third and fifth slides.

Igor

I am using the latest version- 6.5.2, and the problem occurs whenever I move the thumbnails that are displayed at the bottom of the screen, as you describe, or when I move the images in the Full Screen View.

This problem does not occur on my Sony Vaio laptop -which has the same version of PTE and Windows, so perhaps there is a fault with my new desktop computer? I have not observed any other problems with it, however.

Any suggestions, please?

Ray,

1) Please try previous version 6.0.4. Will it have same problem on your laptop?

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/pte604.zip

2) Run again the latest version 6.5.2. In the main menu | View | Advanced set the next options according the text below:

"Show real slide in mini-player" ON

"Show real slides in Slide list" OFF

Now restart PicturesToExe and try again to move slides.

3) Did you use Windows Update to install all updates and drivers (at least a month ago)?

4) Please say me the exact name of your laptop. Probably I can find this one in my city.

Thanks in advance!

Igor

Thanks for your suggestions but none of these tests changed the performances of my computers. My Sony Vaio F Series (model PCG-91112M) works well with PTE but my new desktop will only perform correctly if I remove the Aero Theme from my desktop.

I confirm that I have installed all the latest Windows 7 updates.

Ray,

Does freezing happen:

1) When you select some slide in the Slide list to see this slide in mini-player (this doesn't change anything in a project). For example, click of left mouse button on 2nd slide, then select 7th slide, 9th slide.

2) When you load other projects to PicturesToExe (Project2.pte, then Project3.pte) using the main menu | File | Load.

3) When you re-load same already currently loaded project again using the main menu | File | Load.

Hello Igor

I have to say that I experienced exactly the same bug yesterday for the very first time.

PTE is 6.5.2

My computer is HP pavilion 9165 (quad processor)with 6Go of main storage.

Graphic card is nvidia 8600GT

System is windows7 premium 64bits with all updates automatically installed

It seems to me that the bug occurs when the slide I am trying to move is an heavy one (with children and mask).

Single jpeg slides have no problem.

I noticed that system kept running for a long time with many disk access and many blank or black windows randomly displayed.

I had to kill PTE application and lost all my late entries.

I did another try:

In fact, for some slides, PTE response time is very slow (let say 5 to 10 seconds) and if you continue to clic (to open O&A for exemple) PTE seems lost and does not recover.

After moving a slide, PTE is very slow and I have to quit.

My solution to circumvent this bug:

I just unchecked "show real slide in mini player" (the both were checked) and everything is OK now.

Jean