WnSoft Forums

Forum Search Function...

goddi

Greetings,

I am trying to understand the difference between the Pan and Scan 'Enable' vs. 'Disable' function. When I was making shows in 4x3, I think I saw a difference but now that I am using 16x9 aspect ratio, I don't see a difference.

However, my question has to do with the Search feature in the Forum. When I put in Pan and Scan, I get the following error message:

"One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords."

I can't increase the letters in Pan and Scan so I am not sure how to search the Forum with keywords less than 4 characters.

Any suggestions???

Thanks, Gary

... I can't increase the letters in Pan and Scan so I am not sure how to search the Forum with keywords less than 4 characters ...

There is the following tip in the search form: Search for a specific phrase by "enclosing it in quotes". So I made a search for the phrase "Pan and Scan", but it did not work :angry:

This should be changed!!!

Regards,

Xaver

... I am trying to understand the difference between the Pan and Scan 'Enable' vs. 'Disable' function. When I was making shows in 4x3, I think I saw a difference but now that I am using 16x9 aspect ratio, I don't see a difference ...

If your video and your monitor have the same aspect ratio, enabling Pan and Scan will not show any effect, as there will not be any black bars to be eliminated.

Regards,

Xaver

There is the following tip in the search form: Search for a specific phrase by "enclosing it in quotes". So I made a search for the phrase "Pan and Scan", but it did not work :angry:

This should be changed!!!

Regards,

Xaver

================

Yes, I tried double quotes, single quotes, etc. This search limitation has bugged me for years but I thought it was only me having problems.

Gary

If your video and your monitor have the same aspect ratio, enabling Pan and Scan will not show any effect, as there will not be any black bars to be eliminated.

Regards,

Xaver

===============

Xaver,

In the PTE menu, the little descriptive icon pictures that are shown for the example results of using MP4's Pan and Scan Enabled vs. Disabled indicate that if black bars are going to be eliminated (using Enabled), you will lose a portion of the image, in order to eliminate any back bars. Since I would never want to have my slideshow cropped like that, I would always choose Disable. Is this the correct thinking for using P&S? It seems to me that Disable should be the default for Pan and Scan.

Gary

P.S. If I create a slideshow (MP4) using the aspect ratio of 16x9 and it is played on a 4x3 monitor, it would show back bars on the left and right sides, using Disable, right?. If I created the show with Enable, would it stretch the images to remove the black bars and crop out the top/bottom portions of the images??? (I don't have a 4x3 monitor anymore to test this thought).

Gary,

Rather than use the word "stretch" which implies distortion, I would have used the word "zoom" since I believe that is what happens: PTE zooms the image until there are no black bars visible.

regards,

Peter

P.S. The four character limitation has always been there. I have assumed it is an Invision restriction.

... The four character limitation has always been there. I have assumed it is an Invision restriction ...

Peter,

I think that this limitation has its merits. On the other hand, the search for quoted phrases should work, but it doesn't.

Regards,

Xaver

The bottom line is that I too find the search function has limitations. It is not pleasant to go begging for information on the forum after an unsuccessful search to be immediately pointed in the right direction by one of the very active and helpful moderators. The answer is there but the keys are missing.

Regards, Jeff