WnSoft Forums

Using Objects

JRR

I usually use BUTTONS when utilizing OBJECTS. But if for various reasons I want two or more lines of text in the OBJECT, I use the BUTTON and then use the TEXT OBJECT to insert the title within the BUTTON.

That works fine, except I noticed this morning that when running the AV show (in v4.12) and clicking on the two line BUTTON all works well, but when the show returns to the screen from where you left off, the TEXT within the BUTTON is gone. If I back up a page and then come back in, the TEXT has returned.

It is not a big deal, but just wanted to let you know.

(I have not tried it in v4.14 as I am trying to keep the major show (and its 106 "sub-shows" - they keep multiplying ;) ) I am working on all within the same version just in case.)

Jim,

I suspect it may be because you are coming back to the next slide or a different slide in the show, which may be the same image as the previous one, but without the same objects, so it looks like the button has disappeared.

Then, when you back up, you go back to the version with the button. Is this the case? I haven't been able to replicate this problem on my system the way you describe it.

If you break away from a non-synched show to run a second one, the first one keeps on playing unless you have stopped it with the navigation bar, or are at the end slide, or have specified a very long time on screen.

Jim,

Check to see how you are layering your objects.

Create your Text Object first ... then create the Button Object. The Button Object must be the upper most (layered) object. Give the Button Object the destination properties.

The order of object creation plays a key role here to avoid the problem you are experiencing. Always keep your active object on top of other static objects.

As far as I know this is not a bug ... its pretty much a trait of active objects when layered (this happpens in many other programs and is not unique just to PTE)

New Note :

Some other programing tools have the capability to control the order of object layers ( move to top, move to bottom, etc.)... thus not totally dependent on order of creation. Since PTE does not have this capability ... we must be watchful of the order of when we create them for use in layering..

Stu,

Your comments are very appropriate and important. However, in Jim's case, it seems to me that he must have the layers correct, or the button would not work correctly in the first place. Is there any other reason why the button would work properly when first encountered in the show, and then the Text disappear?

Al,

My best guess is that his layer order is not quite correct. Mainly because when he advances/returns to the page ( its like page refreshing) ... all Objects return to normal.

I suspect he has the active object beneath his static object. Active objects will work beneath static objects ... but the normal result is Jim's experience.

Using Copy and Paste object function for multiple objects can cause this problem real easily.

Stu:

The lunar eclispe caused my clock to run fast, this is tomorrow isn't it ?? :rolleyes:

I found time to test it.

You were correct, if you do the TEXT first, and then the BUTTON all is OK.

Do the BUTTON first and then the TEXT, and the TEXT disappears.

Thx

I sent my test files off to Doctor Al to look at. ;)

Stu,

You were right, it's all a matter of layers, and background vs foreground.

But, as I told Jim, I like the effect of having a positive indication that the button has been pressed, as the text does become visible again once the slide is viewed again. It's actually quite a neat effect. Almost as good as highlighting a button when it is activated. :)

Close maybe :P

Almost as good as highlighting a button when it is activated.

I really like button sound clicks with mine. Maybe oneday when Igor hasnt much else to improve ... we can get more expanded button actions (mouse over, sound clicks etc)

But Iam quite content with what we already have ... and rather have other more needed additions and improvements. :D