WnSoft Forums

Scan Resolutions for old photos

Bubba

I scan people's old photos (including vacation photos, etc) for two purposes: archiving and printing and for slideshows. My question involves the best scanning resolutions. Currently I scan at 300 dpi and save in the TIFF format for archive and printing. I then convert copies into 100 to 200 kb JPEG's for the slideshows. I put a folder of the TIFF images on the same CD as the slideshow. This way the customer has both versions of the photos available. Does this seem like the best method?

For average size photos, is 300 dpi a high enough resolution for archive and printing (assuming I don't plan to increase the print size by more than double)? Would scanning at 1200 dpi produce a better quality print at the same size?

I wonder if taking the time to scan the photos twice would make sense. One scan in a very high dpi resolution (say 1200 dpi) saved in TIFF for archiving and print purposes. The second scan in the low resolution JPEG's used for the slideshows. This would avoid having to compress the JPEG image a lot.

I realize this is quite a few questions for one posting. I want to thank everyone in advance for there great imput to my current and past posts. Bubba

Bubba:

I am not a "printer", I mainly deal with slides and digital files, so I may not have the most update info, but someone will come along and correct my comments if I am out in left field. ;)

There is no need to scan twice, scan for the TIFF once, then just reduce the pixel size to whatever for the PTE jpg (1024x768 if slow fades/cuts, 800x600 for quicker fades). Do not change the res/dpi.

As for scanning prints, people I talk to tell me going to 600dpi does not really produce a better print. But maybe if someone wants to try to make a 8x10 out of a 5x7, then scanning at a higher res would help. But don't quote me on that.

Jim's right. I do a LOT of printing, and scanning at 300 dpi is plenty for a re-print of the same size. If there's will be any enlarging done, then scanning at a higher resolution is good. Saving as a tiff first, then resizing and saving as a jpeg is good, too. Keep in mind that for the people that you give this to, if they want to take it to some place like Walmart to get prints, their machine probably won't recognize anything but jpeg, rgb files. But if there's no compression loss, they will get good prints at the highest resolution jpeg setting. If I were you I'd offer them the slide show, then each image as a low res jpeg (100-200 kb; same as what you used for the show) and a high res jpeg. Much easier for the average person to deal with and then they also have something to email or post on the web.

~Cindy

DustyDeserts,

My knowledge in this area is weak. :blink: What method do you use to get the high resolution jpeg without compression and the low resolution (100 to 200 kb) jpeg photo scans?

When I scan with the program included with Window XP, it just offers the option of jpeg or tiff. The jpegs scan at a nice 100 to 200 kb for the slideshows. The tiff images are in the 4.5 Mb range.

I may have to reinstall the software that came with my Epson Perfection scanner to get more options with Twain (I had problems with it being slow to start up and new drivers didn't help).

Bubba

Bubba,

Just scan for "tiffs",and then use an image editor (e.g. IrfanView, Photoshop, etc.) to reduce and convert to jpegs. Tiffs at 4.5 mb should be adequate for most purposes other than large, high-resolution prints.

Hi Bubba,

I've just finished scanning some 400 old photographs of my family. I used the Epson Perfection 2450. Scanning resolution at 300 dpi without enlarging the picture. I found out that this gives pretty much pixels to even make cut outs for the slideshow. Pictures in portrait mode can this way even be cut out to landscape (1024 x 768).

Furthermore I have made a couple of shows for people who very much appreciated the link I offered them to the highresolution photographs on the cd. I make it a habit of putting printable files on the cd. I am not very charmed by compressing photographs which are meant for printing, so I always use the TIF format. I don't know where you live, but I live in a very small village in the Netherlands, and I just take my cd with the TIF file to the nearest shop and it has never been a problem.

So I suggest you keep doing what you already did and people will love what you give them!

Marianne

I would scan at the highest resolution you can on your Epson!

This way you only ever need to scan the original once. Then you can convert it to as many smaller / lo-res formats as you like, same in the knowledge that you started with the best possible image.

This also gives the end user the options on enlarging their original without any extra work for you.

Just my two-pence worth

Mark

Mark,

I partly agree with you. Scanning in the highest resolution takes a lot of time when you consider this for 400 photographs. Furthermore I did some testing and with low quality originals most of the time the outcome of high scans is not worth the effort.

Working in Photoshop with high scan resolutions takes a lot of RAM and processorpower, and even then the rendering takes time. And this need to be done on the original otherwise you'll have to do it for every compressed picture!

I think scanning resolution needs to be overthougth for every different project you start.

Marianne