WnSoft Forums

Lost image quality

Liteman

We use P2E (5.6.1 Deluxe Edition)to put together image presentations at our local camera club. Several of our members have complained that their images lose quality compared with the way they looked on their own PCs (the monitors have been profiled) in particuar that there is a shift in contrast and that some colours also shift. Is this a known problem & is there a "cure"

If you could give a little more information regarding the projector you are using and the size of the projection.

The type and quality of the projector and if it has been profiled can make a world of difference.

Kieron

Projected image size is onto a 1800mm x 1800mm screen. There is no discernable loss in quality when the same images are projected using other software, eg indows Picture & Fax Viewer or ProShow Gold

The last time I used Proshow Gold (about two years ago), there was a very important loss of quality.

Unless Photodex made a big improvement with this software ?

I am a little confused (nothing new) forget the projector for now.

The members are saying that the photo looks fine on their monitor but when played in Winsoft on their computer they do not look right?

If they do, then it is a projection issue.

The photos should not look any different viewing them in photoshop on a profiled monitor and the same photo dragged into Winsoft for viewing.

At least that is my experience.

Kieron

An RGB image viewed in PS when PS is setup up for RGB will look right.

The same image viewed in PTE which is an sRGB application will not look right - it will look different.

This is easily demonstrated with an RGB image and the same image converted to sRGB side by side in PTE.

Blue skies are a dead giveaway.

DG

I am using the same projector and have no issues between my monitor and projector except for the limitations of showing whites and highlights with detail.

Profiling with a device like a colourmunki helps and using a lower bulb setting.

All images in photoshop and Winsoft for comparison were converted to sRGB.

The resolution is set to the native resolution of the projector -1400x1050

The only issue I have with ( Liquid Crystal On Silicon) technology is sharpening.

I need to be a little more aggresive for projection.

I will be interested to hear more on the topic,

Kieron

I have to disappear for the weekend now, but will get more information and post details on Monday

Thanks

Please check color profiles as davegee said. Maybe your members use Adobe-RGB or even bigger color spaces, this would explain contrast loss and color shift.

It seems to be a matter of color management: ProShow Producer supports color profiles, Gold does not (as far as I know). Photoshop does extensively, many Picture-viewers don't, some (e.g. Faststone Image Viewer) do.

For P2E and many many other products images must be in sRGB color space.

Regards,

Frank

Guest Yachtsman1

This phenomena happened at a previous camera club I was a member of. It happened when the club laptop received a Windows auto upgrade in Vista which changed the colour system in the OS. Sorry I don't have Vista so I am going from memory so I can't name the up-grade, the solution was easy, the laptop was re-set to the previous setting & all was well.

Yachtsman1.

It appears that several colour spaces have been used, Pro Photo RGB, Adobe RGB (1998) and sRGB IEC 61966-21 with the main complaints coming from users of Pro Photo RGB and the most common space used is Adobe RGB (1998). Suffice it to say it's the smallest group that makes the most noise!

Does that mean that you are in agreement? Is it sRGB for PTE?

You should emphasise to your members that they can continue to work in whatever colour space turns them on as long as the LAST thing that they do before saving as a JPEG is convert to sRGB.

I have an ACTION which is dedicated to a hot key and what it does is flatten the image, convert from 16 Bit to 8 Bit and convert to sRGB with just one press of a function button.

It occured to me that you might be able to "reverse engineer" the problem and when a suitable opportunity arises choose an image (sRGB of course) which EVERYONE agrees looks good when projected in a PTE show on your club's system.

With the permission of the owner of the image you could give that image to all members to try on their systems at home. Having all agreed that it looks OK on the club's projector they could hardly complain if it looks less good on their "calibrated" system at home.

Or could they?

DG