WnSoft Forums

PTE

Barry Beckham

Crossfade wrote:

Flash isn't universal on all computers and offers no benefit over a normal movie file, but if you want Flash, why not suggest that PTE output it directly?

You surprise me as Flash is used by virtually every Commercial-vendor in the World such as BMW, Mercedes-Benz, GE, General-Motors and so on. And you might like to know that Flash is used by many Forum-members for commercial purposes in presentations & promoting their Web-Sites.

Flash is used by a lot of people, but to say its on every computer is wrong. Some users intentionally block it or remove it entirely: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/ and many sites are dropping Flash. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/HTML5-YouTube-Vimeo-Adobe-Flash,news-5623.html

You also wrote:

Macs can play WMV movies without needing to be converted. All it takes is installing a free plugin from Microsoft. They can play AVI too, usually without anything extra (depends on the avi).

Thats quite true but then you are not considering the "other guy" ~ in particular the vast majority of Pte-users who wouldn't know where to get the 'plug-in' and if they had it they wouldn't know how to install it nor where.

The vast majority of PTE users don't have Macs so they dont need the plugin. People who do have Macs probably have it installed already, but if they dont, Google wmv mac: http://www.google.com/#q=wmv+mac and the very first hit is the Microsoft plugin. Installing it is easy, just run the installer.

Unlike yourself I had already considered that and its the reason why I suggested the (bespoke) WMV-to-Mac Converter but that in itself would need a compatible AVI-WMV utility created in Pte in the 1st instance.

like i said, theres no need to convert anything. Macs can play avi and wmv movies.

Brian

You said you convert your slide shows to WMV, are you talking PTE here? I assume your doing that via the AVI video file option, but what settings have you found best.

Thats quite true but then you are not considering the "other guy" ~ in particular the vast majority of Pte-users who wouldn't know where to get the

'plug-in' and if they had it they wouldn't know how to install it nor where. Unlike yourself I had already considered that and its the reason why I

suggested the (bespoke) WMV-to-Mac Converter but that in itself would need a compatible AVI-WMV utility created in Pte in the 1st instance.

This line sums up forums and why they can be so annoying. I see this in many of the answers to peoples questions here. The person answering assumes the person asking the question has the same or similer knowledge to them and they answer it at the wrong level. It's what sorts out good tutorials from bad. Well Said

If Igor can produce MP4 files then a simple button for a WMV does sound like a good solution.

Crossfade

Thank you for the info in iSquint, its not something I would ever think of checking up on.

For PC users WMV are far smaller with almost no loss in quality from an AVI. With AVI I struggle to get what I want on a DVD disk.

Mp4. I don't know how robust that is as a cross platform video and with WMV, why fix what ain't broke?

I don't even know if it is a solution for Mac users yet

Mp4. I don't know how robust that is as a cross platform video and with WMV, why fix what ain't broke?

MP4 is very cross platform because its a standard and will play on nearly anything, like MP3 audio, including phones and tablets.

WMV requires extra software for anything other than Windows (Mac and Linux), making it not really cross platform.

I don't even know if it is a solution for Mac users yet

It is, and for other systems too.

Hi All,

I agree with Barry ~ I would like to see a WMV or AVI Utility in the Pte Program for the following reasons:-

1) It offer's an immediate "Work-Around" for all Mac-Users as Pte have dropped the Mac-Program for the time being.

2) It gives "Choice" to Pte-Users if they wish to use "Video-Builder" or a "3rd-Party Format" for their purposes.

3) It put's PTE "On Top" of its competitors as its quality is already well known..(currently its trailing competitors)

Personal Note:

Apple-Computers are a small part of Apple-Mac Inc. and one can not ignore the explosion of 'Telecom-Entertainment'

as is evident everywhere with iPod, Blueberry, Smartfones, Androids, HD-Phones and 4"(inch) Screens are common.

Leading this revolution is Apple. Its the reason why youngsters and elders need a WMV or AVI utility in Pte simply to

put their creations on a phone to show their family and friends.....they cant bring the PC with them !!

Brian (Conflow)

I agree with Barry ~ I would like to see a WMV or AVI Utility in the Pte Program for the following reasons:-

1) It offer's an immediate "Work-Around" for all Mac-Users as Pte have dropped the Mac-Program for the time being.

Macs can play the movie formats PTE makes so what workaround do you mean?

Personal Note:

Apple-Computers are a small part of Apple-Mac Inc. and one can not ignore the explosion of 'Telecom-Entertainment' as is evident everywhere with iPod, Blueberry, Smartfones, Androids, HD-Phones and 4"(inch) Screens are common. Leading this revolution is Apple. Its the reason why youngsters and elders need a WMV or AVI utility in Pte simply to put their creations on a phone to show their family and friends.....they cant bring the PC with them !!

PTE already makes movies for those, and it's Blackberry not Blueberry.