WnSoft Forums

On a Clear Day

Lin Evans

Hi Lin

I'm especially interested in how smooth this is with marginal video cards

(Windows PC zipped exe)

Flawless - Eagle flight was perfectly smooth.

(For Wide Screen PC 16:9)

Smooth pan and Eagle flight excellent.

Detected:

Vertical wavy shimmer on section at start of show when pan starts, for about 1/3 across the screen then smooth for remainder of pan.

See image section attached.

Ran on older Dell.

IntelĀ® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)

Memory size - 128 MB

post-14-0-56005300-1299174959_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ralph,

I suspected that using "smooth" might have that effect on some older cards. I can't say for certain, but I assume that to get the "smooth" version, PTE uses a combination of increased frame rate along with actual pan rate curves. If this is so, it could cause some older cards to "stutter" a bit on startup. If not, I'm not sure what might cause it.

That far along it "could be" just that the sharpness in that area of the image might overcome the anti-shimmer which I have turned on. On a sharp LCD type monitor, it might just be that or a combination of frame rate and sharpness. These things are not always easy to ferret out.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

(Windows PC zipped exe)

Flawless - Eagle flight was perfectly smooth.

(For Wide Screen PC 16:9)

Smooth pan and Eagle flight excellent.

Detected:

Vertical wavy shimmer on section at start of show when pan starts, for about 1/3 across the screen then smooth for remainder of pan.

See image section attached.

Ran on older Dell.

IntelĀ® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)

Memory size - 128 MB

Hi Lin,

You show 1920x1080 ran fine on my computer. The only thing was a riple effect on the left half of the screen when there was no zoom going on.(At the beginning and the same at the end of the show).

Windows XP home, NVIDIA 8600GT, 256 Ram, Dell 22" wide screen 1680 X 1050.

Regards,

Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the feedback. That's caused by the "smooth" start and finish and the inability of anti-shimmer to completely stop sharp small objects from "glitter" or "ripple" - unfortunately, there isn't too much that can be done without making the image very blurry without overlaying a single frame over the pano and treating it independently in the affected areas.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

You show 1920x1080 ran fine on my computer. The only thing was a riple effect on the left half of the screen when there was no zoom going on.(At the beginning and the same at the end of the show).

Windows XP home, NVIDIA 8600GT, 256 Ram, Dell 22" wide screen 1680 X 1050.

Regards,

Bert

Hi Lin,

The pan was very smooth on my screen also, and I have an older video card (ATI Mobility Radeon X1400). There was one slight jerk just as the house started coming into view and before the hawk "flew" across the screen. I viewed the pc wide pano version. Lovely shots of the front range.

Hi Mary,

Thanks! It's actually working better on older, less powerful cards than I expected. I guess we can learn from this that adding animated objects while the pan is still slowing can tax the system a bit.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

The pan was very smooth on my screen also, and I have an older video card (ATI Mobility Radeon X1400). There was one slight jerk just as the house started coming into view and before the hawk "flew" across the screen. I viewed the pc wide pano version. Lovely shots of the front range.