WnSoft Forums

Video Running as Background Demo

Lin Evans

O.K. - not intended as a work of "art" or even an interesting slideshow - just done to demonstrate the ease of using a video in the background with still images in the foreground.

Essentially, you set the video on slide one to the master and copy and paste it as many times as you have still slides. Each of the secondary videos is set as "linked". Then you determine the run time for the video in seconds (assuming you want to use it all) and divide by the number of still slides to get the time to set each video and each still slide. This means you "change" the run time of the video on each slide to this "portion" of the total time that the individual still slide will occupy.

You can manipulate the still slides just as you would in any slide show with opacity, 3D transforms, rotation, PZR effects, etc. I just threw in a few assorted opacity and 3D transforms for examples. It may take you a little time to do the calculations but the possibilities are very great.

Though I didn't use still slides as the background with a running video it is actually easier to do that way. Just a sample folks - not a "production".....

http://www.learntoma...kgrounddemo.zip (about 23 meg)

Best regards,

Lin

The possabilities are quite endless arent they. What a loss John Denver was. My favourite of his was ' Calypso '.

Now where are the settings ' Master ' and ' Linked ' in the video controls? Could you give a bit more detail of that Lin please.

I assume you have set a start [offset] time for each portion of the video, so slide 1 would use say 10 seconds starting at 0 and finishing at 10...then slide 2 staring at 10 and finishing at 20 etc. Have I understood that correctly?

If its ithe BG tho can it not just be left to run throughout?

Andrew

Lin,

Thanks for the demo, it shows the potential for some interesting AVs. I shall be playing with this later today but also need to learn how to use the small video camera I bought my wife a couple of years ago! I have never taken to video but now maybe a good excuse to give it a try.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Ron,

I'll try to do that some time this week. It's actually pretty simple - just insert the clip in the slide where you want it to start then set it as "Master." Copy and paste (use Ctrl V) to subsequent slides as many times as you intend to have slides. If they are not already marked as "Linked" do so (they probably will automatically link) then add your slides and adjust them and the video for size via Objects and animations. Divide the video time in seconds (assuming you want the entire video) by the total number of slides and use this value for each slide via (Customize this slide). Don't try to set transitions except fades or the video "and" the slide will perform the transition together. When you set either the video on each slide or the still to the increment of time of video time divided by number of slides, the other will automatically pick up this time. It's only necessary to set "either' the video "or" the stills. You can fade in or fade out the stills with opacity. You can flip them with 3D transform, pan them, zoom them or rotate them. Just don't apply transitions other than "quick no transition" or "fade in fade out" or the video will also do the same. That's about all there is to it. You can also put borders around the video or slides, etc.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Excellent example and a process that I think could be used by many.

On thier behalf, can I request that you make a quick tutorial on just how you did this please?

Ron

• 1 month later...

Hi Andrew,

Sorry, I missed your post earlier! Master and Linked are found by selecting the video in Objects and Animations then look on the "Properties" tab. You don't need to worry about timing for the video, it will just continue to play in the background and the still slides can have whatever times you assign to each. The only thing you need be concerned with is to match the total still slide display times to the video run time you have either set via offset, start/stop or left at default.

Best regards,

Lin

The possabilities are quite endless arent they. What a loss John Denver was. My favourite of his was ' Calypso '.

Now where are the settings ' Master ' and ' Linked ' in the video controls? Could you give a bit more detail of that Lin please.

I assume you have set a start [offset] time for each portion of the video, so slide 1 would use say 10 seconds starting at 0 and finishing at 10...then slide 2 staring at 10 and finishing at 20 etc. Have I understood that correctly?

If its ithe BG tho can it not just be left to run throughout?

Andrew