WnSoft Forums

Saddleworth Morris Men & Rushcart

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to try and add a link to a short AV I've made and placed in a Dropbox folder.

Saddleworth is a cluster of villages on the Yorkshire / Lancashire border and in the administrative sphere of nearby Oldham,which is in Lancashire. Historically, Saddleworth has always considered itself to be very firmly in Yorkshire and feelings on this topic can still be very strong in the villages!

This AV is only just over 3 minutes long and is a shortened version of a longer AV I'm making about the Saddleworth Morris Men and the annual Rushcart festival.

It became a bit of an excercise in using pictures within frames and then adding some 3D animation to change the pace a little.

I hope some of you might find it interesting!!

Regards

Sheila G

Sheila

That was excellent, I really enjoyed it and the Square and D frames for the verticals was a great way to handle them - something a bit different.

My only suggestion would be for you to lower the volume of the music more during the voiceover as, for me, the voiceover got mixed too much with the music - although, I did like the Yorkshire, or was it Lancashire, accent!!

Good show!

Boogie

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to try and add a link to a short AV I've made and placed in a Dropbox folder.

Saddleworth is a cluster of villages on the Yorkshire / Lancashire border and in the administrative sphere of nearby Oldham,which is in Lancashire. Historically, Saddleworth has always considered itself to be very firmly in Yorkshire and feelings on this topic can still be very strong in the villages!

This AV is only just over 3 minutes long and is a shortened version of a longer AV I'm making about the Saddleworth Morris Men and the annual Rushcart festival.

It became a bit of an excercise in using pictures within frames and then adding some 3D animation to change the pace a little.

I hope some of you might find it interesting!!

Regards

Sheila G

Hi Sheila

You brought back some memories with your show. I was the original Diggle Dynamo named by a secretary from Morrisons. I lived in Diggle in the eighties & could see the Spinners arms from my lounge where the morris men performed regularly, many's the slip on the sloping car park while dancing in their iron shod clogs. We also used to attend the Rushcart ceremony at the church in Uppermill, where the rushes were strewn in the church & the congregation walked across them when arriving in church. Liked the show, I gave it a 9/10, the music, voice over & pictures were great, it lost 1 mark for the animation which I thought a little too much. Bet you are going to do the band contest next???

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the kind comments!

Re the accent ........... I'm a Lancashire 'lass' to the core, with an accent to match! Some of my father's maternal ancestors, however, came from Delph which is one of the Saddleworth villages and I have a very strong affinity with the area.

I have to confess that this isn't my first AV ........... I've been dabbling for quite a few years; just never made them public! It has been the opportunity to play with 3D animation that has really pushed me along recently. I love it!

Re the Band Concert ......... I've already done one AV (about 3 years ago)! I combined it with the Whit Walks pictures and called it 'Hail Smiling Morn' which is, so I'm told, the first piece that the bands always play. I'm glad it brings back some good memories!!

Re the backing track of music being too loud ........... I've made this mistake before. I also have a tendency to speak too quickly but I don't think that was too much of an issue in this AV.

Anyway, glad that at least some people on the forum enjoyed it ......... Thank you!

Regards,

Sheila G

I too found this to be very interesting, entertaining and well-presented. Did you use a template for the "picture pile" effect or did you construct this from scratch?

Hi,

To answer your question ............ I did it all from scratch.

I experimented with different ways of creating the box and some worked better than others. I made various boxes in Photoshop but, obviously, the problems appeared as soon as I moved the box in the PtoE 3D animation.......... the perspective was all wrong!! In this sequence I just made the front of the box and then just put a little shadowing over it to create (hopefully!) an illusion of perspective. I then introduced the images 2 at a time ............ one to be still in the box as one lifted out of it. The lid, of course, was just constructed in 2D, with no perspective control, in Photoshop, and then 'fitted' into place in PtoE.

It's not perfect but I think it creates a reasonable illusion!

Regards,

Sheila G