WnSoft Forums

Beautiful Decay

Paulcl

Hi Paul,

Your off to a great start.

Lots of detail shots and I like the textures and treatments.

As a first show it will have taken some time,but it looks like you have got the hang of things nicely.

Text was a bit on the big side for me,with the underlying text not aligned to the first row.

One of the shots,(A piece of wood peppered with nails) was a wee bit on the soft side in comparison to the others.

Floyd was a nice bit of chillout.

'Shine on you crazy diamond' :)

Davy

PAUL

the description text was either too much or changed too fast for my tired eyes to read it

but never thought that you had manual control till the end

-- so many of our XPERTS will not use manual control -- guess they are afraid of letting us old guys from studying their work - dont mind me, this has been a bone of contention with me for quite some time - Igor has developed many new great features for them, but it seems the shows continue to be the same :(

i could do without the verticals and the page turn transitions but i got a real kick out of your colourizing -- slick job

keep up the good work

ken

Paul

First attempt you've got to be kidding!

Superb changes from B/W to colour loved them and a great choice of music. I agree with Davy about the text alignment and may I suggest a fast dissolve on the text so that there isn't a double image, which could also go some way to address Ken's comment.

From a purely personal view I would have liked to see the shot of the whole boat first and then go into the detail shots at the end of the sequence, maybe that way you could keep all the verticals together.

Anyway whatever the comments its a stunning first AV

Regards

John

Paul -

You should be very proud and pleased with your first show, It's great. I'm guessing you took the time to watch numerous sequences of others and learned from them. Your show was very well thought out as to the choice of image sequence and transitions. For me. the text was unnecessary or could've been shortened. The show told it's own story. I thought the first part of the music was spot-on. The last bit kind of changed the mood slightly for me but only slightly. The verticals didn't bother me at all.

The only real negative for me, and I see it a lot, is the curling page without a solid back side. I don't like seeing the image thru the back of the page as it curls into view. It's a distraction.

Pat yourself on the back - you did a great job.

Greg Gordon

Many thanks for the replies.

I understand what you mean about the wording not being aligned and also the fading. I too would prefer not to have the picture showing on the backside of the curling pages but I do not know how to prevent this yet. I will get there eventually. The joy of retirement is that you have time to practice these things however the brain is slower so the time just disappears or maybe it too much Whisky I'm not sure which.

Regards

Paul

Nice, indeed!

An "i" too many in "slideshow".

For a me it was a lot of text to read for the veiwing time allowed.

Good to find the manual stop/forward worked.

/Lennart

Paul,

It's a place I'm going to investigate one of these days!

Titles: Try using a different transition like Curling of Page to avoid the text overlaps? Also allow a little more time for the viewer to read.

Aspect Ratio of images: Try placing the portrait format images (with border and shadow) over an appropriate Landscape Format image which has been Faded Back / Blurred etc.

I'd like to see a thin white line framing the whole show. It fits my 16:10 monitor perfectly but on a 16:9 (for instance) there would be black lines/bars either side and nothing to stop dark tones bleeding into these black lines.

DG

Paul,

Great work on your first attempt. Congratulations. Very nice photography, and good choice of music I thought. As others have said, the text was a bit big and a bit to much to take in so quickly. Also, I would have preferred your portraits to be grouped with two or more on a slide at the same time. I think it would match your landscapes better.

Overall a very nice show. Thanks for your work!

Regards,

Bill

Nice job Paul!

Between Curling of Page (Horizontal/Vertical) and Curling of Page (Diagonal) you will find a checkbox which allows having a solid color and your choice of color on the back side of the page. Using a solid color will replace the "transparency" of seeing the back of the image during page curl.

Best regards,

Lin

Many thanks for the replies.

I understand what you mean about the wording not being aligned and also the fading. I too would prefer not to have the picture showing on the backside of the curling pages but I do not know how to prevent this yet. I will get there eventually. The joy of retirement is that you have time to practice these things however the brain is slower so the time just disappears or maybe it too much Whisky I'm not sure which.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

There is a lot to like in this show, first effort or not. Excellent photography, very good fades from monotones to colour in sections and a good story to tell. I liked the way you used the curling page to transfer from landscape to portrait shots and I think that was a good departure from suggested other ways of doing it which I find a bit old hat. I have to be honest though, I did find the whole thing just a bit soporific but that is coming from someone whose fades, pans and zooms have been critised for being too fast. So perhaps it's a "me" thing. Well Done and I look forward to seeing more.

Once again many thanks for the feed back.

Having taken on board your comments I have made some alterations. I have made the type a little smaller, also aligned the text and lengthened the timelines on the titles for poor old Kens tired eyes. I have changed the transitions to scrolling on the titles and have also got a black back on the scrolling transitions.

These changes can now be seen here

http://www.mediafire.com/?e9sfrjz10ajsagf

Regards

Paul