WnSoft Forums

PTE 6.5 Deluxe New Installation

billbruen

Purchased and installed PTE last week.

Have created and previewed a show successfully and built exe file, which works fine.

But now, when I reopen the Project, the preview window 'run' button does nothing.

If I press the 'preview' button itself (next to 'create'), again, nothing appears to happen: however, something seems to be happening in the background, as, if I click somewhere on the screen, I can see the blue Windows revolving circle, which usually indicates a hung application.

I normally have to use Task Manager to get out.....

Any clues people?

Re-installation was no better.....in fact it was worse....I created a new Project....not only did preview not work, it did not even display the slides when you clicked on them individually.

I will move on to try the Beta 7.....

I think it's a hardaware issue or problem with drivers.

Please download and install (or re-install) the latest drivers for your video card. It should help.

Also it's better to install all Windows updates if applicable.

OK, a lot has been going on: I tried Beta 7, but was still getting 'problems'.

My PC dual boots into XP, so I tried it there: no better.

My Win 7 was already up to date with MS updates, but I did update my graphics driver, and I even ran MemTest86+ for four hours, to check my memory: no failures reported. The memory check was because I got a BSOD along the way......don't think I've ever had a BSOD since moving to Win 7.

All this produced no visible improvements.....

I continued just trying this and that, with my Projects, and I'm pleased to report that, I finally seem to have got a result.

To be honest, I don't exactly know HOW I homed in on this, but the Projects were partially running, then stopping, and I just got a 'feeling' that 'something' was being 'overpowered', by something else.

I had been using a large(extended version) audio track: something like 12Mb. I replaced it with a more modest 4/5Mb version and..... Bingo!!

PTE has been running sweetly ever since. I haven't tried EVERY feature in PTE, but, I have created EXE files and burned some DVD's successfully....everything I've tried, (like modifying music tracks), seems to work fine.

Just a comment for Igor, (which may be something or nothing): closing PTE by clicking the Windows 'Close' button, as opposed to 'Exiting' from the menu, somtimes seemed to produce odd results: or was it my imagination? When I checked what 'processes' were running (with Task Manager), I sometimes found 2/3 instances of PTE still in memory after I'd closed PTE down.

My impression was that, 'Exiting' from the Menu was a more 'robust' procedure, so I use it all the time now.

Remember that I was getting all kinds of funny things going on before 'the fix', so I may be talking through my hat with these comments. It wouldn't be the first time!!

Finally, Igor, I know you're trying to be helpful, by loading up the last Project worked on, every time you open PTE, but, personally, I don't like it. I would much rather pick my own Project to open....we're talking seconds here.

When I was having all my problems, I saw all this stuff going into memory, often the Project I DIDN'T want, and couldn't help but wonder if there was not some potential for some Project 'confusion'....you can get paranoid when your computer is playing up, as I'm sure everybody knows!

Anyway, bottom line is I'm very happy with the way PTE is running now.

Many thanks Igor and Team.

You can turn off "Load Last Project" by using View...Advanced Options and unticking that item. With regards to the audio file size, I find that using MP3 at 192kbps provides a good quality of sound in a reasonably compact file (something under 1.5MB per minute).

regards,

Peter

You can turn off "Load Last Project" by using View...Advanced Options and unticking that item. With regards to the audio file size, I find that using MP3 at 192kbps provides a good quality of sound in a reasonably compact file (something under 1.5MB per minute).

regards,

Peter

Thanks for that Peter.......good to know info.