WnSoft Forums

Any issues with upgrade from PTE 6.0.4?

mountain man

I need a little fatherly advice:

I've just paid to bring my registration up to date ($34). I've been using PTE 6.0.4 and of course have some precious shows in that version. I'm hesitating on downloading the version that I've already paid for, just in case there is any potential incompatibility between the new version and my shows that I've created over the past 3 years.

Thanks for any advice on this.

No need to be concerned. Downloading the new version does "not" overwrite the old one, and besides, there is no compatibility issue. Also I would suggest downloading and installing the latest beta because there are some dynamite new features such as the ability to add video!

If the "icon" after you download and install the latest version calls the new version, it's very easy to simply go to explore and create an icon for the older version and add it to the desktop. Version 7 beta will automatically create another icon so there will automatically be one for version 6x and one for 7x.

Lin

Hi Mountainman,

The only point you need to bear in mind is that, once you have opened and saved an old PTE project in a newer version of PTE, you will not be able to open it using the older version. Each new version of PTE adds new features (which require new commands in the project file) once these new commands have been added (at default values if you haven't made use of that feature) they cannot be removed by PTE. They become lines of code which the older version does not recognise; it does not know what to do with them.

I have found PTE to be forward compatible all the way from v4.43 through to v7.0 beta 14.

Have fun!

Peter

If you want to keep V7 b14 on your machine as BETA version as opposed to your main version, untick the box at the end of the installation which says something like "Associate PTE Files with this version".

You will then need to open the software and open older files from there.

Otherwise, as Peter said.

DG