WnSoft Forums

Ihave a file ready on my PC, now what?

aspectslink

Dear Folks,

I am new on this forum, and I am new to PicturesToExe, version 4.20 beta. For that matter, I am new to slide projects but thanks to my earlier experiences, and the PictureToExe program, I was able to effortlessly put together a seven minute show of my digital photography, nicely synchronized with quality digital audio track.

I promptly saved my file in .pte format and then I created .exe file. Everyone of you most likely knows the feeling when you push that icon and your presentation is being played first time on the full screen by itself, just like you made it.

So, just to be sure, I played the .exe file on my wife’s laptop, and it played just fine.

Here is my dilemma: If I send out, on cd, .exe file, will it be opened in the same way on every other computer? Or, do I have to make AVI file and make SVCD disc? Or VCD disk. Or create custom AVI video file? (I do not have a DVD recorder yet)

Before I asked you this question, I did make an AVI file and burned it on cd-r using sVcD disk The cd has now AVI file with “RealOne” icon. It does not start itself automatically and when I open my computer - Drive E:( cd-rw) my icons show for a moment and then my Windows Explorer error sign appears, saying it has to be shut down. The error signature :

AppName explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1221 ModName: ptevideo.dll

ModVer: 0.0.0.0. Offset: 00001551

Before that happened, I previewed the .AVI file which was temporarily stored on my desktop. It played in RealOne just fine although the quality of the pictures was not anywhere near the quality of .exe file. I don’t know why.

Please be so kind and tell me what is going on; what am I doing wrong?

Sincerely,

aspectslink

Aspectlinks:

Welcome to the forum and PTE !!!! It is a slick piece of software isn't it ?!

I can't help you on the SVCD protion of your question, but I make copies of my shows on CDs in the "Old fashioned" ;);) .exe format, stick an auto start file on the CD for ease of use at the other end, and there are few if any problems.

Assuming you have a "middle of the road" computer, it will play the same on other computers of the same ilk. But if you are using a top of the line computer, it might not run quite as smoothly on less powerful computers.

The .exe file will play very well on others' computers subject to what I said above.

The auto run files have been discussed many times on the forum. You can run search for the discussions.

Garnot also has an auto run utility.

I will send you what I use via e-mail.

put it in the root of the cd-r

as Jim said search the forum - there are many entries on this subject and we would not like to see you led astray

if you have a disk [not a music disk]that starts automatically see where the autorun.inf is

and the machine/system has to be configured to start a disk automatically

i have it disabled

good luck

ken

I too welcome you, Aspectslink! (but please tell us a more simple name to answer you...).

As for compatibility of PTE exe files with other computers (PC only, not Mac!), our friend Michel, after several tests, advises as minimum requirement a well configured machine with a Pentium 450-500 Hz and 128 MB Ram memory (for a synchronized show made with Jpg pictures and Mp3 or Ogg Vorbis soundtrack).

I can agree with him, even if 128 Ram memory is now a really small amount with Win 2000 and XP.

ALL presentations shared since three (?) years by PTE forum members thanks to well deserving Bill "Beechbrook" site (sure more than 200 - perhaps near 300) correctly ran on my old Pentium II 450 with Win 2000 and 256+128 MB Ram.

Welcome Aspectslink.

You have jumped into this forum at a time where Igor's latest Beta version of PTE has created a lot of excitement. The new excitement is the feature to be able to use PTE to make presentations that can play on many DVD players. But this excitement may have confused you? The original and (always improving) main point of PTE is the ability to present very high quality photos, with sound, on computers by simply running the .exe file. No reader or player needs to be installed on the viewers computer. It can be exciting and potentially handy to be able to play on a DVD/TV a show that previously could only be played on a computer. Igor has done amazing work with PTE and the latest DVD/SVCD capability is no exception. But ONLY if you need the non-PC playback feature, do you have to mess with .avi or .mpg etc. The new TV viewing is much better than ever before, it is not equal quality to viewing your shows on your decent pc monitor.

Enjoy!