WnSoft Forums

DVD Slideshow created on Mac won't playback on TV

Photofanatic

HI

I have recently changed my computer to MAC and have bought FUSION 3 so that I am still able to create slideshows in PTE.

I am using PTE 7 Beta 12 - Deluxe version and I have created my show and also created a DVD video version of it which has run smoothly and come up with the 'successful tick' at the end.

There is clearly something on the dVD but when I come to play it on my DVD player or on my computer it appears blank! I transferred the whole thing back to my old PC - did exactly the same thing and it worked fine! I thought at first it was because my source images were not stored on the windows partition of my mac hard drive so I moved them all and rebuilt the show - but this didn't solve the problem.

Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong please?

Thanks

Joy Newbould

Joy,

First of all ... download and use v7.01 build full release. I dont recommend using old Beta versions when newer full versions are now available.

Its possible you may still experience the same issue with v7.01 ... but at least it up to date on fixes compared to Beta 12

Joy,

You wrote..."I am using PTE 7 Beta 12 - Deluxe version and I have created my show and also created a DVD video version of it which has

run smoothly and come up with the 'successful tick' at the end. (On my MAC Computer)...

Yes thats possible if the Mac has the "Quicktime-Player" usually installed by default on Macs. "Quicktime" will play Windows-Media and

Mac-Media and it looks as if Fusion-3 has created a 'Windows-DVD'. This Widows-DVD will not work on a Mac-PC (its a different System).

The native default Video-System on a MAC is "MOV-Video" which is quite different from the Windows-System and "Quicktime" will ply MOV.

By the way the "Quicktime-Player" also incorporates a Video-Converter for Window/MAC Media.

You need to check this out ??

You wrote..."There is clearly something on the DVD but when I come to play it on my DVD Player or on my Computer it appears blank"...

Yes that is correct...DVD-Players do not support MAC-Media nor (original) Windows-Media. The Media must be in Mpeg-Format or sDVD etc.

You Wrote..."I transferred the whole thing back to my old PC - did exactly the same thing and it worked fine"

Yes that is correct because its 'Windows-Media' running on a 'Windows-PC' thats the way it should work.

Hope this helps,

Brian (Conflow).

Joy,

You wrote..."I am using PTE 7 Beta 12 - Deluxe version and I have created my show and also created a DVD video version of it which has

run smoothly and come up with the 'successful tick' at the end. (On my MAC Computer)...

Yes thats possible if the Mac has the "Quicktime-Player" usually installed by default on Macs. "Quicktime" will play Windows-Media and

Mac-Media and it looks as if Fusion-3 has created a 'Windows-DVD'. This Widows-DVD will not work on a Mac-PC (its a different System).

The native default Video-System on a MAC is "MOV-Video" which is quite different from the Windows-System and "Quicktime" will ply MOV.

By the way the "Quicktime-Player" also incorporates a Video-Converter for Window/MAC Media.

You need to check this out ??

You wrote..."There is clearly something on the DVD but when I come to play it on my DVD Player or on my Computer it appears blank"...

Yes that is correct...DVD-Players do not support MAC-Media nor (original) Windows-Media. The Media must be in Mpeg-Format or sDVD etc.

You Wrote..."I transferred the whole thing back to my old PC - did exactly the same thing and it worked fine"

Yes that is correct because its 'Windows-Media' running on a 'Windows-PC' thats the way it should work.

Hope this helps,

Brian (Conflow).

Hello Brian

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply in so much detail - not all of which I understand!

I was under the impression that if I chose to export the show to a 'DVD-video disc' as it calls it under the publish menu - that this would be playable on a standard home DVD player which it always has done before. As I am doing this from the windows/fusion 3 part of my MAC I wouldn't have thought the MAC side of it would have any influence on the final outcome. As far as I understand choosing this option will create a DVD movie for ordinary DVD/TV players?

If this is not the case - do you know of any other DVD authoring software that will convert Pics to Exe shows into shows which are playable on standard DVD player. (I can't really see what the MAC has to do with it when I am using Windows 7/Fusion 3 on it.) Sorry if I have misunderstood something.

Thanks again

JOy

Hello Brian

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply in so much detail - not all of which I understand!

I was under the impression that if I chose to export the show to a 'DVD-video disc' as it calls it under the publish menu - that this would be playable on a standard home DVD player which it always has done before. As I am doing this from the windows/fusion 3 part of my MAC I wouldn't have thought the MAC side of it would have any influence on the final outcome. As far as I understand choosing this option will create a DVD movie for ordinary DVD/TV players?

If this is not the case - do you know of any other DVD authoring software that will convert Pics to Exe shows into shows which are playable on standard DVD player. (I can't really see what the MAC has to do with it when I am using Windows 7/Fusion 3 on it.) Sorry if I have misunderstood something.

Thanks again

JOy

Joy,

The best way of confirming this is do as follows:-

Look at the Back/or/Underside of your DVD-Player and see if there is a 'Playable Format Label'

It should tell you what DVD-Video-Formats are compatible with the Player,examples:-

Mpeg2,Mpeg4,VCD.sVCD,and any others not shown here.

Of course to replay a (full) DVD the Disc should contain the following Folders:

** Video_TS Folder

** Audio_TS Folder

** Notepad type Files

A)

Put the Disc into your 'Win-PC' and open the Disc and see if those folders are there. If one

of those is missing or a component is missing or of wrong format ~ the DVD will not replay.

B)

Do the same again but this time use the Mac-Computer and see if the Folders are there, but

remember they may be in a different format ??

As for good 'Authorising-Programs' these are like 'Hens-Teeth' may I suggest you contact the

following: Tom.95521 or Nobeefstew who have wide experience in these.

For myself (Windows) I use 'DVD-Flick' and 'Freemake' and also used an old copy of Nero.

I'm not sure what you would use on a MAC ~ Tom would probably advise on that.

Brian (Conflow)

post-1416-0-93066600-1319122032_thumb.gi

post-1416-0-89499400-1319122045_thumb.gi

Joy,

You are correct ... you should be able to burn a DVD Movie format disc on the Windows/Fusion using PTE to play in any DVD player.

Have you tested your DVD burner to see if its correctly burning any other DVD discs from your new Windows/Fusion (not using PTE but some other burn program)?

By your previous comment it appears its burning in some other format. Can you read/explore the DVD in Windows and see any data files ?

(Windows may need to be set to show hidden files)

Do you have any DVD disc info tools that will tell you the format type of the disc ?

(It should say DVD Video)

* Tom is the expert when it comes to Mac/Windows pcs.

Hello again NoBeefstu

No I must admit I haven't tried burning any other DVDs either from the MAC or Windows/Fusion part of my computer - I will have a go tomorrow. But it seems odd that the disc appears blank both in the mac finder view and in the windows explorer when there is definitely something on it and the PTE seemingly converted fine.

Thanks again for you help - who is Tom?

Joy

HI Dave

I have just come to have a ago at burning a DVD from my fusion/windows on my Mac and realised I don't have any other DVD creating software other than the PTE video builder. Can you tell me more about 'creator' is it built into windows 7 or is there anything that will create DVD's built in?

Thanks Joy

Joy

Hi Joy,

See post #9 above.

There is a utility in CREATOR (and TOAST?) which, when you double click on an ISO file, opens up a module to "Burn ISO to DVD".

I have never burned directly to DVD from PTE since VERY early days (when Peter's "joke" would have possibly been a serious comment).

http://www.roxio.co....CFUsZ4QodlgI80g

I don't know if you would be able to create an ISO in one platform (PC) and burn it in another platform (MAC) so the choice of CREATOR or TOAST is a crucial one.

DG

P.S. I don't have W7 so I can't answer but someone else might be able to answer that - and also whether any built-in burner in W7 is capable of burning an ISO file.

One way to prove it would be to double click on an ISO file?

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Joy

I haven't burned a DVD using video builder since my de-lux subscription expired, however I do have W7 Professional 64bit, just done a check of the programmes & there appears to be a DVD programme. Haven't tried it. See screen shot.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-58210800-1319188713_thumb.jp

Further thoughts,

I frequently exchange data with a friend who has a MAC.

When trying to copy from his DVD to my PC Hard Drive I get a lot of "Cannot Read Source" or "The Filename, Directory Name, or Volume Label Syntax is incorrect" similar messages.

This usually means that the file names on the DVD have characters in them which PCs don't like and once they are on the DVD they cannot be changed. My XP machine actually reads the original characters (" is one which causes a problem) but won't allow me to do anything with it. My Vista machine however, substitutes an "underscore" for the (") and allows full copying moving etc. My Vista machine will allow copying of a file with a semi-colon (;) in the name but will not allow me to write that file to another disc.

If I make an identically named folder on my HD I can sometimes drag the CONTENTS of the folder (which may have no obvious errors in the file name) from the DVD to the new folder on my HD. This indicates to me that there is a hidden problem with the folder's properties which involves "forbidden characters".

Perhaps this is what you are experiencing in one form or another?

DG

Thanks to everyone for taking such an interest!

When I get the time this is what I am going to do:

1. Update PTE to latest non-beta version

2. check for windows 7 and vmware updates (fusion 3)

3. Check is Windows DVD Maker (yachtsman 1 suggestion) will creat DVD from an ISO file.

4. If it doesn't I will have a look into getting Creator or Toast and burn from the ISO fiels (which normally I don't even choose to make due to their size!)

I will try and do this in the next couple of days and will let you know the outcome - please could you check back and once again give me the benefit of your experience.

Thanks

Joy

I HAVE WIN7 home

i put together my latest action shots -- no editing - as taken with camera

made a show

created a dvd video disk

checked/unchecked the appropriate boxes for the colonies - selected ISO and selected a new folder to save it to - also had a blank dvd in one of the burners

system completed the process and burned the disk

i found the iso and clicked it and win 7 burner box popped up ready to burn another

so that is as far as i go - i know my system will do it without 3rd party software

my good deed for the day -- 11:00 am Lowenbrau tall boy is my reward :)

ken