WnSoft Forums

PTE Error Message

goddi

Gary,

No, I usually do what you do. Did you put the file in the Dropbox Public folder? Is the file icon showing a little green tick?

regards, Peter

===================

Peter,

I did a test and put another file in the Dropbox. I now see what you mean about that little circular arrow. Really hard to see unless it is pointed out. It would be nice if Dropbox would give a notice that the file was finished uploading. Thanks. The only way for me to get the link to the file I put in the Dropbox file is to go to the "Launch Dropbox website" and get it there.

But Dropbox seems to be working. The Dropbox icon in the Tray does have the little green check mark.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings,

Unfortunately, my problem with trying to replace an exisiting exe file using Publish still persists. When I try to replace the exe, it give an error message. I gave an explanation (above) of what is happening when I first posted this problem. I found a program called Jing (thanks to someone in this Forum who just mentioned it...thanks) that allows us to do a screen capture. It works well but the free version limits you to 5 minutes.

So I made a screen capture of my problem so the you can see exactly what is going on. I just got it in within the 5 minute limit. I hope someone can download it and make more sense of what is going on. I'd appreciate any further ideas of what is going one here. I've tried everything I can think of and everything I can get through Google. No luck.

I can only save the screen capture as an swf file. Hope it is not a problem.

Thanks...

http://www.mediafire...o8l7f1wsopx8757

Gary

ADDED LATTER: When you open the file, the audio seems to start right away; be sure to click on the 'play' icon in the middle of the screen to get the video to start too.

Gary,

After a initial review of your PTE_Error.swf file :

I see you are using an Authenticated Users username or group. What happens if you login/use one other of your named user accounts ... that has Full Control checked.

*I believe the Disposing in your error message relates to "not accessible due to the protection level"

Gary,

After a initial review of your PTE_Error.swf file :

I see you are using an Authenticated Users username or group. What happens if you login/use one other of your named user accounts ... that has Full Control checked.

*I believe the Disposing in your error message relates to "not accessible due to the protection level"

=======================

Greetings Nobeefstu...

I think I must be the Administrator of my PC. I don't know how to login any other way than the way I am doing it now because there are no other named user accounts. I have attached a screen shot of this.

I had not changed anything that has to do with permissions and these problems just popped up out of nowhere. I just went into my C:\ drive and made all of the 'Group or user names' to have all the same 'Permissions for Administrators' as shown in the attachment, see attached gif, to see if that would help. So all users have Full Control. It did not help. (see attached).

Gary

post-1794-0-34112800-1326581415_thumb.gi

post-1794-0-11232700-1326581439_thumb.gi

Gary,

From the Video ... the created file properties shows me Authenticated Users username or group without Full Control. It also shows two selectable Gary username(s) or group(s)

* Your snapshot above shows C Drive ... what is the E Drive where the file is located rated as ?

* Test saving your compiled EXE file to C Drive and verify any changes.

See attachment:

post-45-0-65848600-1326582378_thumb.jpg

Gary,

From the Video ... the created file properties shows me Authenticated Users username or group without Full Control. It also shows two selectable Gary username(s) or group(s)

Yes, but now I have reset all Group or user names to have Full Control, as I showed in the previous posting. And that did not help. So now, even Authenticated Users have Full Control.

* Your snapshot above shows C Drive ... what is the E Drive where the file is located rated as ?

The E drive's Properties (security tab) is exactly the same as my C and D drives (see attached gif).

* Test saving your compiled EXE file to C Drive and verify any changes.

Now this is interesting. I had not tried that before. I tried to save the Cheow Lake.pte to the C: drive and got an error message, "A required privilege is not held by the client." (see attached gif).

But I have Full control of C drive (see attached), right?????

So I am even more baffled. :unsure:

Gary

post-1794-0-14984200-1326584215_thumb.gi

post-1794-0-67200400-1326584361_thumb.gi

post-1794-0-32195100-1326584481_thumb.gi

Gary,

Its hard to sort issues like yours from my end without having the birds-eye view and hands-on. There is usually no one-click fix remedy to user account controls and file security issues when the OS is inherently designed to control. With the various permissions, privileges, and file ownerships ... it gets somewhat complicated these days.

*What is your Windows 7 version (Home,Pro,etc) ?

Now this is interesting. I had not tried that before. I tried to save the Cheow Lake.pte to the C: drive and got an error message, "A required privilege is not held by the client.

*Try saving the .pte file using PTE to a named/new folder (preferably created by you and not some other user) on the C Drive. Saving files directly to the Root of a Drive may invoke security issues on some OS.

* Without using PTE ... can you copy the Cheow Lake.pte file from the current E Drive location to a named/new folder on the C Drive ?

* Without using PTE ... can you move the Cheow Lake.pte file from the current E Drive location to a named/new folder on the C Drive ?

* Starting PTE program ... have you tried the right-click Run As Administrator method to open PTE program and verify any changes in saving/compiling behaviour ?

Gary,

Its hard to sort issues like yours from my end without having the birds-eye view and hands-on. There is usually no one-click fix remedy to user account controls and file security issues when the OS is inherently designed to control. With the various permissions, privileges, and file ownerships ... it gets somewhat complicated these days.

*What is your Windows 7 version (Home,Pro,etc) ?

I have Windows 7, Professional, 32 bit.

*Try saving the .pte file using PTE to a named/new folder (preferably created by you and not some other user) on the C Drive. Saving files directly to the Root of a Drive may invoke security issues on some OS.

While in PTE, I saved the .pte to 2 folders that I created on the Desktop, Downloads1 and Downloads2, with no problems.

Also, while in PTE, I saved the .pte to 2 folders that I created on the C:\ drive, DownloadsC1 and DownloadsC2, with no problems.

* Without using PTE ... can you copy the Cheow Lake.pte file from the current E Drive location to a named/new folder on the C Drive ?

I copied Cheow Lake.pte from the E Drive to folders DownloadsC1 and DownloadsC2. No problems.

* Without using PTE ... can you move the Cheow Lake.pte file from the current E Drive location to a named/new folder on the C Drive ?

I moved Cheow Lake.pte from the E Drive to folders DownloadsC1 and DownloadsC2. No problems.

* Starting PTE program ... have you tried the right-click Run As Administrator method to open PTE program and verify any changes in saving/compiling behaviour ?

I chose Run As Administrator to open PTE, and tried to replace the Cheow Lake.exe file, and I got the same error problem.

Also, I again tried to save the Cheow Lake.pte to the C: drive and got an error message, "A required privilege is not held by the client." I got the same error message when I tried to Publish the exe to the C: drive.

Now, something strange just happened. After doing the above (trying the Run As Administrator), as I closed down PTE, it gave me a window saying something about Compatibility problems, and I close the window choosing something like Run as Administrator (I forget the other choices-I'll make a screen shot if it happens again). Then I opened PTE again, and tried about 6 times to Publish the exe to the E: drive as normal and I had NO problems!!! I closed down PTE and reopened it. Tried doing it again....no problems Publishing the exe.

Then, I tried to Publish the exe to the C: drive, where it caused the error message "A required privilege is not held by the client" before, and had NO problems. I tried several times replacing the exe on the C: drive and No problems.

Now, what can I make of that????????????????

I will let things alone for awhile, reboot, and see what happens.

Gary :blink::blink::blink:

ADDED LATER: Well, it didn't take long for things to go downhill again. I noticed that now when I start PTE, the UAC window comes up. I am sure it did not it come up before when I opened PTE. It does not with Excel, Word, Photoshop, etc. Anyway, the problem seemed to have disappeared...until. The problem did not show up when I would start PTE using my PTE shortcut. I would click on the PTE shortcut, say Yes to the UAC window, and it would open and I could Publish the exe with not error. Then...I opened PTE by clicking on the .pte file in MyComputer. Then the problem started all over again.

Duno... I just don't get it.

Gary

Greetings,

My last posting said the problem came back. So I did some more testing. The problem seemed to return after I opened my PTE program by just clicking on a .pte file in MyComputer instead of the using the shortcut to the main PTE program. I have both 6.5.8 and 7.03 on my PC.

So, with PTE now back to causing the problems, I decided to open 6.5.8. I made a test.pte. I then created a test.exe. No problems. Tried creating/replacing the test.exe several times, no problems.

I then opened this test.exe in 7.03. I Published the test.exe. I Published/replaced it several times and the problem did not reappear.

Now, with the problem not occurring, I opened the PTE program again by clicking on a .pte file in MyComputer (as opposed to clicking on the shortcut to the main PTE program).

The problem came back.

I went back to opening 6.5.8 again; created the test.pte and the test.exe. No problems.

I opened 7.03 and opened the test.pte and tried Publishing/replacing the test.exe. The problem disappeared....again.

Does this shed any light on this problem????????????

I notice, too, that the listings in Security tab for 6.5.8 is quite different than for 7.03. The 7.03 Security tab has 4 Account Unknown..., Batch,, Interactive and Service listed that are not in the 6.5.8 Security tab. I can do a screen capture of this if needed.

Gary

Are you sure you have deleted all the versions of PTE between 6.5.8 & 7.03 :unsure:

Yachtsman1.

===============

Yachtsman1,

Yes. The only versions on my PC are the 6.5.8 & 7.03. But I am not sure what that would have to do with this problem. This is such a strange problem.

Gary

Gary,

After reviewing earlier posts on this topic (Post #6) ... I mentioned first off to uninstall v7.03 and then reinstall it. I found no confirmation on your part if you actually performed this action ?

*Uninstall v7.03, Shut down the PC several seconds and cold boot (not reboot).

*Test your .pte files on double-click which should now open in v6.5.8 by default.

*Test multiple save and compile operations and verify results.

If all tests perform correctly ... reinstall v7.03 and perform the tests again.

Gary,

After reviewing earlier posts on this topic (Post #6) ... I mentioned first off to uninstall v7.03 and then reinstall it. I found no confirmation on your part if you actually performed this action ?

*Uninstall v7.03, Shut down the PC several seconds and cold boot (not reboot).

*Test your .pte files on double-click which should now open in v6.5.8 by default.

*Test multiple save and compile operations and verify results.

If all tests perform correctly ... reinstall v7.03 and perform the tests again.

=========================

Greetings Nobeefstu,

Sorry, I did not respond about uninstall/reinstalling PTE. Yes, I did try that, but I may not have done it in the sequence you outlined above. I will do it again using your sequence. I have been trying so many things so many different ways, I am getting worn out. :blink: I have also been emailing back and forth with my local computer group for insight into this problem. But I am willing to try/test any suggestions. This is really an interesting problem than I hope I can get to some good results.

Thanks... Gary

... I have been trying so many things so many different ways, I am getting worn out...

Gary,

I don't like having to say this, but that is part of the problem.

When you come up against a tricky problem on the computer, the worst thing you can do is try too many things too quickly. For the benefit of others reading this topic:

When you get a problem - STOP!

Think back carefully over the last few changes you have made - any change, every change, however small and innocuous it seemed at the time

Think back to the last few minutes, earlier today, yesterday, earlier in the week, last week, last month.

The further back you go, the more you consider just the significant or major changes

Could any of these changes have triggered your problem? If so, STOP!

Do you know how to reverse the suspected change?

If you do: what changes that you made after that one were dependent upon that one?

Build up an understanding of the knock-on effect; because if you undo that change you will have to deal with the knock on effect of doing so.

One final point to consider: if you undo the suspect change, do you know how to redo it again? And do you understand what the new knock on effect will be?

Now that you think you understand the situation that you face, you are ready to tackle to problem. You tackle it one small step at a time and you verify the effect of each step before moving on to the next. If, at any point, the result is unexpected: STOP! - and think it out again. The right course of action may be to reverse your last step and re-diagnose from there.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

Peter has offered some very wise advice to follow. Trouble-shooting issues is best achieved by taking tiny steps - backwards. Users may eagerly want to fix and correct the issue ... but to avoid having the issue happening again its helpful to know what may have caused it in the first place.

* Users should have Backup software that create images that restores the entire system/drive to a previous correctly working state. The backups are a great tool to fully restore ... but it doesnt tell what may have initially caused the issue(s).

The reason I suggest to fully uninstall v7.03 first and test v6.5.8 is to verify if the same behavior issues persist.

*Test with file double-click to open PTE and verify its behavior.

*Test with program short-cut to open PTE and use file open and verify its behavior.

*Test with opening PTE program directly from program folder and use file open and verify its behavior.

*Test with several different .pte files (old and new) stored on the same Drive and verify its behavior.

*Test with several different .pte files (old and new) stored on different Drive(s) and verify its behavior.

It may be alot of tests ... but the results may lead to a specific direction or location if the user account with the program is actually corrupt in some manner, or it may lead to some file ownership issues.

* The reason for complete Shut-Down and cold boot is that all PC processes are completely off ... whereas with Re-Start and reboot some active processes may still be partially active.

* The reason for uninstall/reinstall is that if there is some sort of previous user control conflict with the program ... the new install will hopefully overwrite it.

Gary,

I don't like having to say this, but that is part of the problem.

Peter,

I understand what you are saying. And, I have gone through all of the processes you have mentioned. The difficulty with my situation is that there are two problems occurring at the same time. And both were sporadic and I was not sure if they were related or not. One is with PTE and the other is with downloading a file off the Internet. But both seemed to be tied to Permissions. But many times the error message has nothing to do with the actual source of the problem. So I have had to do many different tests many different ways to try to get to a point where I could consistently cause the problem to occur.

Maybe you misunderstood my comment that "I have been trying so many things so many different ways, I am getting worn out..." When the problem is not consistent and redo-able, it is like trying to hit a moving target. I get your points. Been there, done that. But I use my PC far more than the average person, I am sure, so the cause could be from many, many different things that might have started these problems. These problems have been going on for quite a while so that is why I mentioned I am getting 'worn out'. But I do not give up. I find them to be a challenge. :)

I think I am getting closer to being able to reproduce and undo the PTE problem. A little more testing of my theory and I'll post it in a reply to Nobeefstu.

Gary

====================================

Nobeefstul,

Yes, Peter's advice is good. But most of the time you just can't point to something you might have done in the past that is causing a problem.

I do create backups, but, as you point out, that does not tell you what caused the problem. I always prefer to find the cause, so maybe it won't happen again and you might actually learn something.

I have been doing the tests you indicated and that is what has been getting me 'worn out'. Peter thinks that that is the problem but doing these tests over and over to try to nail down what exactly is causing the sporadic problem is needed to be done and it does wear on you.

And I think I have found what can cause the problem on a routine basis. But I don't know why the problem is occurring. The uninstall/cold boot/reinstall has been done but that did not stop the problem from occurring.

Here is what I have found: I have found that if I open the PTE program by clicking on a .pte file in MyComputer, and then try to replace the exe file using Publish, the error message consistently occurs. If I open the PTE program directly first, then open the same .pte file, and try to replace the exe using Publish, the error does not occur.

I tried this with several different slideshows and it seems to be a consistent theme. For some reason unknown, opening PTE by clicking on a .pte file seems to cause a change in the Security tab or Permissions settings in the exe file.

I don't know why but opening the PTE program clicking on a .pte file seems to be the trigger of the "Unhandled Exception..." error message. But at least now I can reproduce the problem consistently.

Gary