WnSoft Forums

Nikon's new big boys toy?

Guest Yachtsman1

It's commendable, I think, that Nikon has produced a more useful tool by avoiding the "megapixel mania" which has seemingly taken over digital camera production. Having worked with some of the latest high resolution sensors, I find that there is little real improvement in "optical resolution" beyond sixteen megapixels in a dSLR format instrument. Only with the absolutely finest lenses and then primarily only in the center of the field of view are small resolution advantages realized. Sigma has demonstrated with their SD1 model that it's quite possible to produce more optical resolution with a fifteen megapixel sensor and no antialiasing filter than with a 24 megapixel CFA sensor. Nikon has now given the photographer the "real" goods with greatly enhanced shutter life, more flexibility in "recognition" circuitry, greatly expanded "usable" ISO range, etc. It's nice to see them concentrate on "real" rather than "marketing fluff" features.

Best regards,

Lin

If Nikon progresses as usual there will be a D4x sometime in the future with around 24Mp or more.

There are many rumours of a 36Mp sensor and the forthcoming D800 is a prime candidate for this.

I don't think that I would want this sort of sensor but the logic seems to be that with such a sensor in an FX camera greater crops are possible.

For instance a 300mm lens on a D4x in crop mode would equate to a 450mm lens with a 12-16Mp resolution.

The downside (?) is that a TIFF from a D4x at full res is going to be 140Mb (plus) when converted.

New computer anyone?

DG