WnSoft Forums

Using DVD RW

LumenLux

• 2 weeks later...
When using DVD RW (rewriteable), can we expect what works on the RW will indeed work with +R and -R ?

Depends on what you meant...

- DVD burners can burn both RW and R media. Some do only +R/+RW, others only -R/-RW, others do both types. I have a 4x Sony dual format that has been great. I saw a Creative Labs 8x dual format DVD burner for $179 from Fry's today in an ad! Amazing.

- DVD players can usually play both RW and R media. Similar format issues as above w/burners - Some play only +R/+RW, others only -R/-RW, others play both types. However, I'm sure there are also players out there that will play "odd" combinations of formats (e.g., +R/RW & -R), depending on how they are engineered. I have checked manufacturer specs on several DVD players where they were supposed to only support one format (e.g., -R/-RW), and when I tested w/DVDs I had created they supported both (-/+ R/RW). So it's a combincation of checking out specs and trying yourself. The good thing about the compatibility tables on the dvdhelp.com site is that they are based on testing by owners of the units, not manufacturer specs. Here's a link to the DVD player compatibility listings on their site (you can search for a particular model, or search for particular capabilities):

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers

In my experience, the newer the DVD player, the more likely it has been to support both formats no matter what the manuf. specs said. But there are no guarantees until you try it.

Dana