WnSoft Forums

Nikon D8000

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Erik,

It "might" be a nice step forward, but I'm not too impressed with the samples so far. The "detail" just doesn't appear to be that great at the pixel level, even in the D800E model without the AA filter which normally robs a good deal of resolution. Hopefully, more samples will be coming before too long, but right now I don't see anything much better than my meager D7000 with less than half the pixel count. I think for real detailed images, the Sigma SD1 is still the present best for anything ISO 800 and under. Of course the price difference will make the new Nikon line a clear winner. Below is a 100% crop from one of the samples from the 800E without the AA filter. Even with some pretty heavy-handed sharpening (see the sharpening halos indicated by red arrows) there still is very little "detail" in the leaves, etc.

Best regards,

Lin

sharpening.jpg

Spotted this on my Flickr group this morning. http://www.nikon.com...207_dslr_01.htm :unsure:

Yachtsman1.

Hi David,

Those are really nice images from the D3, but the new D800 and 800E, at least from the images posted made with pre-production cameras, don't seem to be anywhere near what can be produced by the D3 except in terms of absolute optical resolution. I'm certain the optical resolution as measured by black and white resolution chart photos will be impressive, but unless something changes, the "zip" just isn't there. I suspect that the super high optical resolution is exposing the weakness of lenses and probably resulting in diffusion at even F8 which would account for the "softness" of the images presented so far. I'm pretty happy with what I get from my D7000, but I wouldn't trade it right now for a D800 or D800E if the samples are truly representative of what the camera/lens is capable of. Maybe better lenses will have to be made or used on these new super high resolution units to get the full benefit of the new sensors.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

The site I linked to is a nightmare!!

Go to Forum and Nikon and "D800 is finally here", then scroll down.

Try this:

http://www.nikonuser...24552ff69cd15e6

or this: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d800/index.htm

I'm not in the market for a D800 (or a D8000 for that matter!) - My D700 will do for some time. The D800/800E is going to be of use to someone, but not me.

I have just upgraded to a new computer to cope with 25Mb NEFs - 70Mb NEFs are going to need a little more.

The image that you pointed to is a downloaded JPEG - the RAW would give a totally different JPEG in different hands.

DG