WnSoft Forums

"Fountains Abbey" Widescreen.

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

To conclude the post about moire which reared its head during the construction of this show, The picture with the most pronounced moire on my hardware was the long zoom of the ruins. The moire was present in the windows at the top of the tower & the windows to the right of the tower. I didn't think using Barry's smudge tip was appropriate as I think the software should be able to handle it without dodges. What I did do was reduce the pixel size of that pic & I am now happy with the shot. If anyone else gets that effect, please report it on here with details of your hardware. I still have to test the finished version on my TV.

This show was constructed from Raw files taken in May 2008, cropped to 16-9 aspect ratio. The original music was rejigged to suit the shortened length of this version. The original voice over was re-used.

Mechanics 35mb on Mediafire, just under 8 minutes run time, 65 slides, AR 16-9, slide size fixed. http://www.mediafire.com/?10nf833b887334y

Yachtsman1.

ERIC

same as yesterday - no jaggies or moire

the only thing i seen was some slight jerkiness on some of your pans - it could be my system -- i was +- 2 ft from the 37" screen

good voice over

Lin did not see any problems the other day either

i had your description in my hand to make sure i was looking at proper place

great detail

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Ken I got one stutter panning up the tower near the end, so I ran it back & tried again & it was smooth, however I was running it from a memory stick via the LT to the TV with a 5 mtr hdmi lead. :unsure:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

PS re-doing my Hairy Bikers show to widescreen, it's a lot easier than the fountains show which had a lot of full height shots which had to be cropped mercilessly or panned or zoomed, this one's all at ground level. ;)

Hi Eric,

Your very nice show only emphasizes our disappointment in not taking in Fountains Abbey last time we were in Yorkshire. It is definitly on the list for next time.

As a novice in doing voice-overs, I hope you will not mind a comment. Although very interesting I found it difficult to take in a lot of the history you were commenting on. I would have preferred the pace of the commentary for the whole show to be like the first minute, with nice pauses between sentences and longer pauses between paragraphs to allow what has been said to sink in whilst watching two or three slides.

I also thought a few of your early slides needed a little attention re exposure and straightness but I do appreciate the compromises to be made when converting to wide screen something you have composed in a different format.

Good luck with the Hairy Bikers, I look forward to it.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Mick the reason for the fast paced commentary was I used the original VO from 2008 for the first show which was 12 minutes long. Not sure about the straightening unless some are slightly out and are emphasised by the 16-9 format. Glad you enjoyed it.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric

Please don't take offense, but you have rushed this and it shows a bit. I appreciate its your first try at 16:9, but you have a good subject, good information and right voice for the location. I think you would be pleased with the outcome if you took just a bit more time. The verticals could do with straightening, but the commentary needs to be re-recorded. Do it in small sections and that way if you fluff your lines as we all do, you only have to re-do a small section.

Once the commentary is done stitch it all together in Audacticy and it will sound much more professional.

Guest Yachtsman1

Unfortunately I had straightened where I can see errors, & in one particular shot near the end which is a ground to top of tower shot including the lower portion of the Abbey I used the perspective correction in Elements 10 as the tower was leaning to the left with the rest of the abbey level. I can only assume the errors are more pronounced because I am looking at a 5-4 monitor with broad black bars top & bottom & a letter boxed subject. I use the grid overlay when straightening, so in theory they should be correct. The two long pans up & down the tower window near the end were deliberately left off centre for artistic reasons.

The voice over was done in 2009 for the the original 12 minute show as I mentioned in earlier posts, I took the view that I prefered to get all the info in this show, and leave it a little rushed, rather than cut out something & leave the viewer lacking that info.

Mr Amazon says my new 16-9 monitor should arrive tomorrow, maybe I will look at correcting any errors I can see then. However, having 48 shows to convert is quite a task. back to "The Hairy Bikers" Widescreen now :blink:

Yachtsman1.