WnSoft Forums

Reckoning slideshow duration for competitions

dorsetbay

A newbie question...

I've just compiled an AV with a sequence duration (including fade-in/fade-out and soundtrack) of 3m 20s.

Will this still be eligible for a 321 competition if I adopt the common practice of adding a 3s 'black' slide at the start and end? Or do I have to include the black slides in the running time (and shorten the displayed sequence).

I've checked various competition websites and haven't found any information on this.

Steve

Dorset, England

I cannot give a definitive answer but I would reckon the duration to be from leaving the "desktop" on double-click to launch the sequence through to the return to the "desktop" at the end of the sequence. So that would include the black slides at each end.

Steve

The length of a slide show is all part of the creative process and should not be determined by competition rules, so one of 3:20 would seem perfectly OK to me.

However, in practice of course AV competitions do have to limit the length of entries because some people just don't know when interesting has moved into bored to death.The 321 competition you mention seems to be something unique to a club or society, so guidance should be in their rules. A maximum of 5-7 minute duration is reasonable

Hi

The 321 AV Competition is an International Supercircuit, with entries shown in countries across the globe.

The aim is to make your sequence less than 3 minutes 21 seconds.

So 3m 20sec is fine.

Adding 3 secs to front and back brings your time on screen to 3m 26sec - over running.

Suggest you either leave off the black slides or make them half a second either end.

Traditionally the black slides came in with the slide / tape days so the audience could get used to the darkness of the hall.

Between each AV there had to be time to change the tapes and carousels to the audience might start to chat, and the dark slide lets the audience know the next AV is running & time to listen.

Not so crucial with digital AVs but many still like to have some lead in time with the black slides, adds to atmosphere, but not essential.

However entering competitions remember to keep to the rules. i.e. 3m 21 secs is maximum time

321 is unique and fun so look forward to seeing your entry Steve.

Closing date is April 8th 2012

UK Gala day will be June 24th 2012 at Aldbourne 10 am start http://www.rps.org/group/Wessex-Centre

The judges will view all the entries and judge together before that day so we will only be able show the top sequences which we can fit into the Gala day.

So all judges view and mark in the same large screen environment.

For full details see the web site :

http://www.challengediaporama321.com/

click the UK flag for the English version of the site.

Guest Yachtsman1

Steve

The length of a slide show is all part of the creative process and should not be determined by competition rules, so one of 3:20 would seem perfectly OK to me.

However, in practice of course AV competitions do have to limit the length of entries because some people just don't know when interesting has moved into bored to death.The 321 competition you mention seems to be something unique to a club or society, so guidance should be in their rules. A maximum of 5-7 minute duration is reasonable

barry

You've got the wrong end of the stick again. 321 is a competition, I seem to remember at the Middlesborough AV group when we held one it was 303, it was 30 slides in 3 minutes, maximum. Entries below those figures was up to the entrant. It was a bit of fun, with a serious edge and the best entry won.

( July 2nd

 September 3th

o Voice-over – an evening of practical hints and tips

 October 1st

o Members’ sequences – “303 Night” (30 slides max., 3 minutes max.)

You wouldn't expect to enter Les Mans & find you had to drive for 25 hours :blink:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Well, I have never heard of the 321, but I have not been into many competitions in the UK. The only one I entered was done for me by Maureen years ago. It doesn't sound like a bad idea though. Most competitions I have come into contact with in Australia have limits of 5-7 miniutes.

A shorter more compact sequence may also encourage people to enter and have a go at AV, which can't be a bad thing. I encouraged one club to create a mini sequence competition section, where an entry of no more than 10 images was allowed. It was an effort to encourage people to have a go at AV and that year there were more entires so perhaps we had an effect.

In some cases I still don't like to be limited to length, but I can't deny that a limit is necessary.

It seems to me when Maureen has a visit by Igor she trys to have one of these competitions for him to assist in judging

anyways you got the word by the lady - follow her instructions, or you are wasting your time

thanks to the Albright's for clarifying the rules

am surprised there was no other input on this subject as Maureen has advocated it for years

ken

The 321 International AV Competition is run from Hayange in France by Ricardo Zarate and his team.

They organise and collect in all the entries and all the fee money.

Many other countries then take part - in 2012 it will be shown and judged in

France

Belgium

Italy

Rumania

South Africa

Mauritius

Germany

UK

Oman

Switzerland

Argentina

Australia

Portugal

Poland

It is therefore a "Super circuit Av competition " and please note that UK and Australia also takes part Barry. biggrin.gif I am amazed you haven't heard of it.

We've done the UK at Aldbourne, Wiltshire since 2006 and I usually create a UK web site for it. Sorry been too busy recently - on my to do list sad.gif

We do rely heavily on money from those who attend the Gala day as the ticket fees there pays for our UK expenses for the judges, hall fees, etc

So I hope lots of UK AV workers & friends will come along on June 24th to Aldbourne. biggrin.gif

It is a wonderful opportunity to see top class International AV work from all over the world.

Many of the 321 entrants do not enter other events so that is the only place you'll see their work.

The range of talent and variety of types of AV entered is exceptional. Do attend if you can !

Barry you entered your work in the UK's Geoffrey Round Competition one year.

That event has now been renamed the " IAC Peter Coles International AV Competition" and takes place each March in Capel Curig, Snowdonia (March 10th / 11th 2012)

http://www.nwawavg.org.uk/

The Royal Photographic Society AV Internationals will be held at Cirencester in September 2012 http://www.rps.org/g...nal-AV-Festival

Lots going on in the UK and abroad in the AV scene and always such a pleasure to meet fellow AV workers at these events. biggrin.gif

Sorry if I have little time to chat if I'm judging or organising at some blink.gif

Great social events as well as watching and sharing wonderful AV talents.

Recently my health and incredible busy schedule of judging and giving shows & lectures have meant I have not had the time to update my own web sites (in particular www.digital-av.co.uk) but will try to do so soon.

Have to concentrate on others first for the RPS.

Hope to meet some of you at Focus on Imaging - NEc, Birmingham, England we will be on RPS stand C60 Sunday & Monday - all day :)

http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/

RPS AV - new panel = Multimedia and Narrative.

29th February is the very first Advisory Day under the auspices of the new Multimedia and Narrative Distinction for Licentiateship and Associateship.

Anyone considering putting in for a distinction is most welcome, whether as participant or observer. The first RPS Assessment Day is on April 4th.

Remember - statistically, applicants who attend Advisory Days have a greater chance of achieving a distinction.

http://www.rps.org/d...shops/view/2422

Good to catch up with several PTE Users at Photo Training Overseas in Tunisia recently. smile.gif

Catch up with you at PTO next year biggrin.gif possibly the Lanzarote / Canary Islands ?

Best Wishes

Maureen

catch me on Facebook

To Maureen and many others,

Thank you for your prompt and helpful advice, the screentime of our shiny new AV is now 3:21 precisely. And we've found a few other things that needed 'improvement' along the way. There's always something to tweek!

Having had feedback at our camera club, we're getting the show ready for the Western Counties AV competition, who have adopted the 321 format as a category. We'll certainly be considering the UK gala 321 as well.

Looking forward to seeing your shows and picking up ideas.

Many thanks

Steve & Helen

Dorset, England

Well, I have never heard of the 321, but I have not been into many competitions in the UK.

Barrie, there are two judging venues in Australia this year (and two in South Africa). Am really surprised that you are unaware of the competition. Maybe the French language (in the past) put you off. Virtually everything is in English as well as French these days.

Thanks, Maureen, for your promo work. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff

I just don't spend time researching what doesn't generally interest me, so that is probably why I have never heard of 321. Yes, your right about other languages, if I open a web page and can't read it I move on to one I can.

I know of one Australian AV event this year, the closing date has just passed and I did put something into that one. I also know of one in 2013 because I have been asked to judge it

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I found this old post when I was searching for the origin of the 321 AV competition but cannot find anywhere on the NET where the term 321 for AVs came from. :(/>

Is there anyone who knows?

A friend thinks it is from the time a roll of Super 8 film would run (3minutes 21seconds).

Can anyone help?

thanks

Joanne