WnSoft Forums

Long encoding w/Pinnacle Studio 8

Danabw

I've been experiencing very long encoding times w/Pinnacle Studio 8.10 and the PTE AVI files. My usual times are between 2 and three times the length of the movie. This AM I was encoding a PTE AVI and for a 12 minute show encoding had only completed 4 minutes of the show after the better part of an hour!

I then used Pinnacle's Expression and got normal encoding times. Anyone else using Pinnacle Studio and have any issues w/PTE AVI encoding time vs. other AVIs? Can you post your CPU and "encoding ratio" (minutes encoding time per minute of video)? (I'm running on a P4 2.4.)

Also, I'm losing audio when encoding in Studio - plays OK in PTE, and OK from within Studio before I encode. However, completed DVD is mute when played back on stand-alone DVD player or on DVD drive in computer. Using MP3s.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana,

I will do some testing next week and let

you know what my times are.

I did make a 59 min DVD from a PTE_AVI Just to see how long it would take.

I had either MP3 or WAV in the background (I can't remember) with no sound

and I added some sounds to a few of the pictures. So I am not sure if the sound was lower.

because I did not have much to hear.

This DVD took about 4 hours to create.

I will do some better testing and let you know my results.

cc

Dear Dana,

On my Athlon XP 1600+ encoding of DVD takes 1 min of video x 4 = 4 min.

It's absolutely normal. When I've added usual AVI file with MPEG4 codec it took exactly same time. Ulead DVD MovieFactory2 works with same speed.

Finally I had ability to test with Pinnacle Studio 8 full version and it created

correct DVD video disc with audio.

Dana, please couldn't you perform several additional tests to help us find reason of that problem?

1) First, try to create MPEG1 or MPEG2 file .mpg (not DVD disc) and how it will play.

2) Download MPEG4 video codec www.wnsoft.com/beta/mpeg4.zip (130 Kb) from our web site. Unzip it and click right mouse button on mpeg4fix.inf file and then select "Install". In PTE choose "Custom AVI file", click "Video codec" button, find Microsoft MPEG4 video codec v2 and select it.

Then PTE will create usual stand-alone AVI file. Now it possible to try how Pinnacle Studio encodes this AVI file. Also it would be great to try with some your usual short AVI files (5-10 sec. to save your time for tests).

Thanks!

Dana,

I ran a test today.

AMD 2800+ E Machine T2865

The SlideShow I used had 95 Slides

Two MP3 (Bitrate 128).

and was 6 min and 7 sec

My Pinnacle Studio 8 is 8.10.40

Output to DVD

Video Quality Auto

Filter Video Not Checked

Draft Mode Not Checked

Mpeg Audio Not Checked

Burned Directly to DVD+RW

Total Time from Start of Rendering

to Finished DVD out of burner.

26Mins.

DVD Played well in Apex 1110W Audio Sound seemed fine.

If you have any questions or want me to

test anything else let me know.

I have not done a lot of DVD burning. So I am learning

both Studio and PTE_AVI.

chuck

I just found that we must add new special option to AVI dialog: "For Pinnacle Studio" because this software sets another order of fields in produced MPEG2 file (than in Ulead DVD MovieFactory2 or TMpegEnc).

So currently DVD video produced in Pinnacle Studio has no smooth transition effects as DVD video produced in MovieFactory or TMpegEnc.

Thanks, Igor. You beat me to it!

My (shorter) tests, using the same settings in Pinnacle Studio that you used:

32 second clip, one MP3, 128 bitrate, 20 slides, 1 sec for transitions.

Encode to hard drive, not burned to disc.

AVI from my digital camcorder: 1:35 seconds

AVI from PTE (PTE codec): 5 minutes

AVI from PTE (MPEG4 v2): 2 minutes

So the PTE AVIs continue to take much longer...maybe the field order issue may be contributing.

Dana

I just added this "For Pinnacle Studio" option to PTE. In beta #6 it will work properly.

Thanks for your results, I'll perform additional tests - probably it will possible to a little optimize encoding. It won't encode so quickly as another video codec because PTE renders slides in video on the fly when MPEG2 encoder requests frames of video stream.

As one more test, if you *temporary* turn off "Interlaced" option, it will encode faster (but don't disable it - only for test!).

Cool!

I tested w/Interlaced turned off in PTE, and found that the encoding was much faster - until it hung just less than 1/2 way through. :-(

Killed the render (cancel from within Studio worked) and restarted the render.

Tried a second time (recreated the AVI file from PTE) and it encoded fine. Took about 1 minute 40 seconds or so - I lost track just at the end. So you are correct (as usual!) about the improved encoding time w/Interlaced turned off.

I look forward to Beta #6. :D

By the way - I took a PTE/Pinnacle DVD slideshow up to the relatives over Christmas, and they really enjoyed it. THANKS, Igor, for providing this new feature! It is going to double my use and benefit from PTE.

Dana

I just sent you special test with option for Pinnacle Studio. I think DVD with this option and produced in Pinnacle Studio will has much more smooth transition effects as with using of Ulead or TMpegEnc products.

I tested w/Interlaced turned off in PTE, and found that the encoding was much faster - until it hung just less than 1/2 way through. :-(

It's normal - producing of interlaced video takes much more time, but I'll try to optimize this process.

Thanks, Igor. Got it, testing as I type.

OK - back now. Encoding time was 5:30 (for a 30 second show) so the factor looks to be about 11:1 on my P4 2.4 Gig PC. Does that compare favorably w/what your getting w/Ulead as well?

The disc just popped out, so I'll go have a look/listen at/to it.

Ahhhh....just beautiful, Igor. Looks great, sounds great, is great. You are a master of the universe.

If you can optimize the production of interlaced video, that would be a great timesaver.

Thanks for this great stuff!!! :lol::D

Enough playing - now off to bed!!! (2:30 AM here.)

Dana

Thanks for the good results you've got!

Concerning speed of encoding I'm still think how to increase this performance. Here are my current results of test for speed (with PTEV video codec, 12 sec. of show, 3 slides with effects):

Pinnacle Studio:

Interlaced video = 1:12, Progressive video = 0:59

TMpegEnc:

Interlaced video = 0:40, Progressive video = 0:32

Ulead DVD MovieFactory2:

Interlaced video = 1:00, Progressive video = 0:48

So these results show that "weak point" not in interlaced video, because rendering of progressive video faster only on 15%-23% and it can't be optimized more.

I'll have a look on rendering of slides - may I find "weak points" for next improvements.

p.s. TMpegEnc has the most fast encoding. But I prefer quality with Ulead MovieFactory2

Interesting results. You're getting a 6:1 w/Pinnacle, and 5:1 w/Ulead, and 3.5:1 w/TMpegENC.

That 2800+ AMD chip is doing very well compared to my 2.4 G P4, which is running at about 11:1 encode timet to show time ratio. Maybe I should have gotten an AMD... :)

Hope you find a few optimizations.

Dana